Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy eating !?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:38 PM
  • 11 Replies
SO and I would like to get into eating healthy but..... every where I read seems to say...basically everything is bad ! Maybe not everything but a lot. What meals do you make ?? Help!

Oh and I like veggies but SO isnt big on it. However SO doesnt have a huge eating problem like I do. Heck when I met him , he naturally hardly ate !

I just dont know where to start for a grocery list and we would like to start meal planning.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eema.gray
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Many of the women in this group follow the "clean" eating plan - veggies and fruit, whole grains, eggs, dairy, and poultry/seafood/red meat.

There are a handful of us who follow variations on primal/paleo/low carb eating plans, which are somewhat the same as the clean eating plan but eliminating most or all grains and beans, and sometimes dairy also.

"Clean" is relatively easy to step into as there are magazines, books, and blogs and it's not terribly restrictive; primarily you need to give up cooking out of boxes, cans, and jars.  

biancalina20
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Thank you!

Quoting eema.gray:

Many of the women in this group follow the "clean" eating plan - veggies and fruit, whole grains, eggs, dairy, and poultry/seafood/red meat.

There are a handful of us who follow variations on primal/paleo/low carb eating plans, which are somewhat the same as the clean eating plan but eliminating most or all grains and beans, and sometimes dairy also.

"Clean" is relatively easy to step into as there are magazines, books, and blogs and it's not terribly restrictive; primarily you need to give up cooking out of boxes, cans, and jars.  

MamaKarrot
by Karen on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Shoot for making stuff with real ingredients.  So like instead of meat in the crockpot with a can of cream of whatever and a package of ranch spice (or something, lol) go for meat in the crockpot with lemon juice, grated ginger, garlic, etc and eat it over rice with a side of steamed veggies.  (just an example)

I have just kind of read through recipes over the years and acquired some of the ones that use better ingredients. And in my opinion, you're not going to be perfect - but tailor it to what you can do. I haven't given up grains.  I still eat brown rice, barley, oats, wheat breads, stuff like that.  And a good rule of thumb is to watch the sodium.  If it has more sodium than calories, ditch it.  That's at least a good place to start.

jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:43 PM
I get a lot of recipes off the internet
Cleaneatingmag.com
Skinnytaste.com
100daysofrealfoods.com
Weelicious.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:53 AM

Quoting eema.gray:

This is me, and I have over a year's worth of meal plans if you're interested.

Lesgerm
by Leslie on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:08 AM
I would love some meal ideas :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting eema.gray:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
biancalina20
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:11 AM
Oh yeah id be interested too! !!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting eema.gray:

itsm3
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:25 AM

there are tons of blogs on healthy foods/recipes.  pick the things you like to eat (ie. fish, chicken, salads etc) and the google recipes for those.  always include "low-calorie" or "healthy" in your search and you'll come up with websites that have recipes for healthy version of say, hamburgers or fries etc.

eating healthy is about eating fresh foods that you cook so my rule of thumb is to avoid anything that comes out of a can, box or bag (exeption is whole wheat breads or flash frozen veggies but i prefer the fresh veggies).  i always plan out my  meals for the entire week and then shop for everything. 

and example of what i would eat one day:

730/8am:  bfast:  4 hard boiled eggs (whites only), + overnight oats in a jar

10am:  snack 1: 1/2 cup greek yogurt + fresh berries

12pm lunch:  baked chicken breast (organic/grain fed), large kale/tomoato/cucumber salad w/home made dressing (olive oil + oregano + apple cidar vinegar + salt/pepper), quinoa salad

3pm snack 2: raw carrots and hummus

dinner 530pm: baked salmon w/lemon and garlic, sweet potato fries (homemade, baked w/paprika and a dash of sea salt), large spinach salad w/homemade dressing

i like skinnytaste.com for her healthy, low cal receipes.  this is also a great site for those on weight watchers because she also gives the point count for each recipe

JaycesMamma
by New Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:29 AM
Bump
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:44 AM

http://www.cafemom.com/group/115445/forums/read/14923420/Weekly_meal_plans

Quoting Lesgerm:

I would love some meal ideas :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting eema.gray:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)