Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

So starting on Monday our YMCA is starting crossfit.

I am super excited to give this ago but they are charging extra for the classes.  I am trying to focus on my half marathon training but do need something else to keep my motivation going.

has anyone tried crossfit and liked it?

I want to go to one of the first classes so that I am in the same "newbie" position as everyone else - I get so intimated going to classes where everyone knows what they are doing :-)

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Replies (11-18):
Hunnybadgerkins
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:13 AM
I know someone who lives in keene who crossfits. Im going to find out about a box for you.

Quoting Lesgerm:

I'm jealous!!! I would love to start CrossFit but it isn't offered anywhere near me :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lacilyn
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM
I soo wanna get into crossfit! I will at some point but its crazy expensive as only one place offers it. Man I can't wait to get back to the big city!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Functional movement workouts.  Jumping up and down off boxes, pull ups, (heavy) weights, kettleballs, running, etc.  

Quoting Janaz5:

I'm probably going to sound like an idiot for asking, but here goes. What exactly is crossfit?

Quoting Xfitmom:

I'm an avid crossfitter and have been since May of last year. I go 5-7 days a week and love it. The biggest thing I can tell you is have fun. Crossfitters are some of the most welcoming and supportive people I know. Please take the time to learn the movements and up your Omega 3 intake. Have fun and don't worry about being the new girl. Everyone had to start somewhere right?

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Xfitmom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Lifting weights won't make you turn into a bodybuilder. I agree with finding muscles you never knew you had and getting toned. It's great.

Quoting MamaJessx3:

It's whatever you make it. I absolutely am not body building and I'm an avid crossfitter. If you want to tone there is absolutely nothing better than crossfit! It will whip your entire body into shape and you'll find muscles you never knew you had!

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Yikes... that seems like too much to me... I'm not looking to become a body builder... I'm looking to lose weight and tone.... that stuff looks like body builder lifestyle. Good Luck though.

Xfitmom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Crossfit is a mixture of calisthenics, aerobics, cardio, weight lifting (don't let that part intimidate you since you can go low) and fun. box jumps, burpees, weights, pull ups, sit ups...that's a start.

Quoting Janaz5:

I'm probably going to sound like an idiot for asking, but here goes. What exactly is crossfit?

kiwimom74
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:28 AM

well I am all signed up for Monday 9.30am... there is a maximum of 10 in the class... LOL will have to update after on how I feel

UtahRoadRunner
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:58 PM

So today is Monday so you are probably checking out or have checked out the class. I highly recommend it if you are a runner. I started Crossfit and was training for a half marathon as well. It wasn't my first half marathon. I beat my time by 45 minutes, partly because I trained in Utah and the run was in the bay area, so the air was so much better out there, but I also believe it had a lot to do with crosstraining Crossfit style. I still do Crossfit, throughout my pregnancy and will go back after my body has recovered from labor earlier this month. 

kiwimom74
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL oh that was so intense.... if I feel my arms/chest now I can't wait til I wake up tomorrow..

So I signed up for two classes a week, still have to have my running only days.  The instructors were awesome and stressed the family atmosphere and how it was important for the stronger participants to always support those struggling a little more.

I also love that classes will always be different and I will have no idea what they will be until I get there.

oh it hurts LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN