Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Exercise then diet, diet then exercise or both?

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:48 AM
  • 21 Replies

So I weigh 174.8 lbs as of today (2/1/13) and I carry the weight all in my stomach and breasts. I had a c-section with my son so I have the belly pooch/ flabby gut. I am wondering if I shoud lose the weight 1st and then exercise or whether that will just make my stomach even more flabbier? How do I balance it out so that as I am losing weight I am also toning my stomach? .Also, I work 2 jobs one during the day and one at night so really my only days for exercising when I am not working my night job is on the weekends. Any advice on exercising/exercises?

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Delta.Dawn
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:57 AM

I would eat a diet that is specific for your body type. I wouldn't do the gimmick diets because that is just unhealthy as eating junk foods,fatty foods.I am on a mainly plant based diet myself.I always buy my fruits and veggies that are in season only they are grown in a specific time of the year for a reason.Look for toning exercises that can help to start strengthening your muscles.

itsm3
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this

why not do it at the same time?  eat clean AND exercise. it's the BEST :)

and when you say "diet" i hope you mean changing eating habits and cutting out all processed/sugary foods, right?  ie. not a fad diet?

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:40 AM
I agree

Quoting itsm3:

and when you say "diet" i hope you mean changing eating habits and cutting out all processed/sugary foods, right?  ie. not a fad diet?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommyintraining
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Strength traing combined w/ exercise, healthy clean diet and staying w/ in your caloric intake requirement for healthy weight loss is about 1500-1900/day w/daily exercise will do the trick! All of it combined makes the best results to prevent that "flabbyness", your trying to avoid. Good luck!

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I do have PCOS so I will most likely have to eat a diet with little or no carbs. I don't plan on doing gimmick diets as the results never last long.

Quoting Delta.Dawn:

I would eat a diet that is specific for your body type. I wouldn't do the gimmick diets because that is just unhealthy as eating junk foods,fatty foods.I am on a mainly plant based diet myself.I always buy my fruits and veggies that are in season only they are grown in a specific time of the year for a reason.Look for toning exercises that can help to start strengthening your muscles.

Thelmama
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Both, healthy eating and exercise.  

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:02 AM

because I don't have the time except on the weekends because of my 2 jobs. So what I'm asking is what exercises should I do that won't tire me out for the week? My one job is Monday-Friday and the other job the days vary but I work overnight. I do mean changing my eating habits as well as stop drinking so many sodas. Usually at night I get a soda and some noodles.

Quoting itsm3:

Thelmama
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Google exercise to do while working.  Take the stairs instead of elevators. Get up and walk if you have a desk job, any chance you get.  Find ways to incorporate exercise into your work hours.

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I walk alot at night at my night job as I am a cashier. My day job is a desk job but I have to stay at my desk as I am taking calls except for 2 10 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch.

Quoting Thelmama:

Google exercise to do while working.  Take the stairs instead of elevators. Get up and walk if you have a desk job, any chance you get.  Find ways to incorporate exercise into your work hours.

Thelmama
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM

If you google exercises to do at your desk, there are quite a few..  On your breaks find ways to include exercise. 10 min of exercise is better than none.  The key is to get moving. I have learned that in the last 4 weeks. Make the times you do get count.  Eat healthy and I promise you will see a difference. I dropped  sodas and have lost 5 lbs as of this morning.  I am exercising almost every day.  I am conscious of portions and what kinds of foods I am eating etc.  You can do it. Just keep working at it.

Quoting SexyDiva19:

I walk alot at night at my night job as I am a cashier. My day job is a desk job but I have to stay at my desk as I am taking calls except for 2 10 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch.

Quoting Thelmama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)