Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Treadmill: walking uphill or running ?

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM
  • 8 Replies

Which do you prefer ? I have received 2 different sets of advice from 2 people in the fitness industry.  One is a certified personal trainer, she is not my trainer but a friend who knows my history.  She is a runner and I used to like to run so I asked her about it and started the c25k program.  She said it sounds great and was very encouraging and when I went to her about sore calf muscles a few weeks later she suggested raising the incline a little.  The other lady who iis an instructor and athlete but not a trainer, who is not a runner, just does not enjoy it.  She suggested walking on more of an incline and I can burn as many calories as running in maybe less time.  I'm just wondering what everyone prefers.  I am dong some of both just depends n what I feel like that day. 

Cheryl
married to Chris 10/18/06
mother to Nathan 6/21/08

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I'm a runner so obviously I would run. If you have sore calf muscles, it is how you are running or your shoes. 

Have you been fitted at a running store? Do you heel strike? Are you strictly treadmill or do you alternate outside at all? 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

cherylmoore
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I have not been fitted and I have no idea what you mean by heel strike. Right now I am strictly on treadmill but hope to get outside whe it gets warm enough this spring

mem82
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I walk/job at between a 3.0 -4.0 pace on an incline of 4.5. I feel like an incline is more productive than none but I'm not sure whether or not that's officially true or whatever. lol

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:05 PM
By heel strike she means is your heel the first thing to hit the ground when you're running? That's bad and can cause injuries like shin splints. You should be landing on the ball of your foot or midfoot. And you should definitely go to a specialty running store and get fitted for shoes. They'll look at how you run and then recommend shoes that will work for you.

Quoting cherylmoore:

I have not been fitted and I have no idea what you mean by heel strike. Right now I am strictly on treadmill but hope to get outside whe it gets warm enough this spring

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a runner, but I stay away from treadmills when I can!  LOL

When I injured my knee, after some healing, walking uphill on the treadmill was my friend for sure.  I want to get one of those treadmills that can go up to 40%!  On my dream list!  LOL

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Landing on the ball of your foot can actually make your calves overtired, so aim to land on your midfoot.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I prefer running:)

cherylmoore
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Today I paid attention and I'm definitely landing on my heel first. Is there a way to correct this or as I destined to not be a runner?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)