Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Vitamins/Suppements

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:24 PM
  • 10 Replies
So.. at some point in time I took a multi vitamin like a lot of people. And then stopped. But does it really do best alone? Are there others that I should take? Which is "better". I hear of fish oil, this, that and the other and what not. Should vitamins/supplements be taken as a single or as a combined dose?

Back story. I have a bad knee (I get up from crouching and I can hear the crunch of cartilage) and also a bad back. I am a very emotional person, but my anger can overpower quickly along with sadness and linger for a while (put my smile on and continue my day). My skin is, no words. LOL It's oily, dry patches. So.. in your experience or someone you know.. what would you recommend?

TIA I hate going to the health food store or somewhere else and look like a deer in headlights and not be able to communicate what I'm looking for. LOL
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

A multi can fill the gaps, which depending on your diet, can be good.  If you want to be thorough, you can get your levels checked by your doctor, and just buy the vitamins you're deficient in (for example, I have iron-deficiency anemia, so I take iron).  Fish oil is good for pretty much everyone!  It helps with diabetes, cholesterol, heart disease, and cell regeneration (might offer some benefit in balancing out your skin).  Most of us benefit from vitamin D supplements (it helps your bones, and there are tons of other benefits).

How is your diet?  Do you exercise regularly?  That can help even out your emotions some.  Have you talked to a counselor?  Sometimes that can help.

I'd talk to a dermatologist about the skin.  It might be something you can get cleared up.

Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Garnet_Iris11
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:51 AM
I really need to get a physical, I haven't seen a doctor in years for anything more than a bad cold. My family is prone to a lot of health issues, which I think is why I've been putting off going to the doctor.

Diet is, so-so. Exercise is when I get to it. LOL I'll do great for a few days or even weeks and then slack a day or two and get comfortable in not exercising or closely watching what I eat.

As far as talking to a therapist, I did when I was a child and it bothered me. I can talk about my feelings to a certain point and then I shut down. That goes for family and close friends.

Quoting musicpisces:

A multi can fill the gaps, which depending on your diet, can be good.  If you want to be thorough, you can get your levels checked by your doctor, and just buy the vitamins you're deficient in (for example, I have iron-deficiency anemia, so I take iron).  Fish oil is good for pretty much everyone!  It helps with diabetes, cholesterol, heart disease, and cell regeneration (might offer some benefit in balancing out your skin).  Most of us benefit from vitamin D supplements (it helps your bones, and there are tons of other benefits).

How is your diet?  Do you exercise regularly?  That can help even out your emotions some.  Have you talked to a counselor?  Sometimes that can help.

I'd talk to a dermatologist about the skin.  It might be something you can get cleared up.

Good luck!

kary1124
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this
i just take a multi complete with iron, i have thought about adding fish oil cuz ive heard tons of good things about it
frecklesthehen
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

all i take is a prenatal multivitamin. i have taken iron too, for anemia. i would think just a good multi vit would be good enough. good luck!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Talking to a counselor and breaking through that wall to get at the root of the issues makes a big difference in depression.

Definitely get a physical!  Choosing to ignore health issues only makes them worse.  When you know about them, you can face them head on, and keep them under control.

The best way to get your vitamins and minerals really is from food.  If you eat a balanced diet with a variety of foods, you can meet all your needs.  I'd focus on that before spending money on buying vitamins.  Exercise really can be great stress relief, and will give you more energy.

Quoting Garnet_Iris11:

I really need to get a physical, I haven't seen a doctor in years for anything more than a bad cold. My family is prone to a lot of health issues, which I think is why I've been putting off going to the doctor.

Diet is, so-so. Exercise is when I get to it. LOL I'll do great for a few days or even weeks and then slack a day or two and get comfortable in not exercising or closely watching what I eat.

As far as talking to a therapist, I did when I was a child and it bothered me. I can talk about my feelings to a certain point and then I shut down. That goes for family and close friends.

Quoting musicpisces:

Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

big_red05
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Milk and gluten can cause the issues you are describing.. A diet free of chemicals ( prepackaged/processed foods) can be a great start
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I personally just take a general multivitamin.

mjgm1966
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I take several vitamins.  One that I take for hair, skin and nails is Biotin.  I love it.  Seems to make a huge difference. Also take B12. My body doesn't absorb it.  This also make a huge difference.  I have a lot more energy when taking it on a regular basis. I was having to take injections, but I'm able to keep my levels up by taking the vitamin on a daily basis.

Garnet_Iris11
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:25 PM
I've been told a few times about Biotin.. but only in regards to losing so much hair.

Quoting mjgm1966:

I take several vitamins.  One that I take for hair, skin and nails is Biotin.  I love it.  Seems to make a huge difference. Also take B12. My body doesn't absorb it.  This also make a huge difference.  I have a lot more energy when taking it on a regular basis. I was having to take injections, but I'm able to keep my levels up by taking the vitamin on a daily basis.

Rebeccakey2013
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I use It Works greens. They alkalize, detox and boost immunity. It also helps with arthritis and joint pain. You can order them at rebeccakey2013.myitworks.com
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)