Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

My kids eat so much

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:01 AM
  • 8 Replies

I am trying to shop healthy but my kids eat so much... Its hard to shop completely healthy for me because my 2yo and 4yo are ALWAYS hungry... They went through a pound of strawberries today and they had cheese with it as a snack (not counting their meals... I need to figure out how to make it healthy and not so expensive... Any ideas? (My 4yo won't eat meat)

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Silvertears1275
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:13 AM
2 moms liked this

I've learned over the past few weeks that my kids aren't always actually hungry when they say they are.  I think they learn early the same bad habits of eating out of boredom and just for pleasure that a lot of us are having to overcome.  Try distracting them when they ask for a snack and limit their portions.  My kids snack much less now than they used to.  I know it just doesn't feel right not feeding your child when they say they are hungry and it's not the most fun of times getting there, but I think that teaching them good snacking habits is as important as providing them with healthy snacks.    Good luck =)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I honestly don't know mama...I have the opposite problem with my son!  Hugs and good luck!

kary1124
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:41 AM
i agree with silvertears, my son does the same thing all the time so i get him playing a game or something and he totally forgets about it til its actually time to eat
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM
I have the opposite problem too but I have a friend with your problem. I'd say lots of bananas and celery lol. Just see which produce is cheaper that day and buy the biggest cheese blocks (cheaper per oz)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2_Jimmy_Anka
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Do they like bananas? I often buy them because they are cheap and filling. My daughter loves them. I also get apples when they are cheap and cut them up for them to dip in peanutbutter.

Also have you tried having them drink a glass of water first? Thirst is often mistaken for hunger.

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Set up designated snack times & stick to it. That's when they get to snack. You can also make "snack boxes" with healthy choices & when it's snack time they get to choose one snack. We have one in the fridge for perishables & one on the counter for non-perishables.

Breakfast
Morning snack
Lunch
Afternoon snack
Dinner
Evening snack (if needed)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM

when my kids tell me they are hungry, I tell them to wait twenty minutes and give them a distraction in the meantime.  If they are eating well at scheduled meals, they often times will be fine until the next meal.

itsm3
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:43 AM

this.

i feed dd on a schedule.  i've noticed that if food is out, she'll eat it so i don't  leave stuff out.  so she gets breakfast around 730am, a snack around 1030am, lunch at 12 another snack around 3pm and then dinner at 530pm. 

ps - this  is also how the school feeds them too.

Quoting Silvertears1275:

I've learned over the past few weeks that my kids aren't always actually hungry when they say they are.  I think they learn early the same bad habits of eating out of boredom and just for pleasure that a lot of us are having to overcome.  Try distracting them when they ask for a snack and limit their portions.  My kids snack much less now than they used to.  I know it just doesn't feel right not feeding your child when they say they are hungry and it's not the most fun of times getting there, but I think that teaching them good snacking habits is as important as providing them with healthy snacks.    Good luck =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)