Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Can someone explain to me why some people say it's ok to eat potatoes on the Paleo diet and others say why not? 

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Replies (31-40):
ciao_kitty
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Can you educate me on what a keto level carb is?

Quoting norahsmommy:

This is how I feel when I am eating keto level carbs ( 50 grams or under a day) I am very satisfied and don't overdo my calories. I don't have cravings or dips in blood sugar that make me hungry or tired. It's nice not to be up and down all the time!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I logged my meals and snacks for 3 days on MFP once, to please my diabetic nutritionist who was having conniption fits about "not getting enough calories/you're eating too many calories with all that meat and nut flours."  Sigh.  Not all calories are equal.  I was consistently between 1100 and 1300 calories a day, yet I never felt hungry, tired, or drained of energy, and my nutritional profile according to MFP was off the charts.  Veggies...the base of paleo eating...are nutrient dense.  Add in the recommended protein (and ignore the fat & carbs because I'm a low-carb eater in ketosis) and it's a perfect diet with plenty of nutrition and fiber.  I've lost 24 pounds total.

Quoting Lesgerm:

Mind if I ask you a question? How many calories would you say you eat in a day? I'm just trying to get all this figured out :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

Paleo is a nutrient dense diet.  Potatoes do NOT have a lot of nutrition.  Why fill up on something with little nutrition when you could be eating foods with plenty of nutrition?  That is why sweet potatoes are more favored...they are loaded with vitamin A.

Paleo eating goals focus on the effect of the various foods on our bodies.  Potatoes, a starch high on the glycemic index (when compared to sweet potatoes), boost insulin levels, which in turn causes a chain reaction in other areas.  End products of the starch -> glucose -> high insulin levels are AGE's....and they contribute to accelerated aging, insulin resistance, and several degenerative diseases.  Potatoes also contain anti-nutrients like saponins.  Odds are, the potatoes you eat are also not organically grown, so you have that added problem....and if they ARE organically grown, they're expensive.  Again, why put an expensive starch in your body if it doesn't really have a lot of nutrition?

Most people that start following Paleo guidelines for eating are doing it for their health.  Potatoes are not a great contributor to that, especially if a person is overweight.  On the other hand, an athlete that is training several hours a day may...MAY require more carbs...but again, why go for something with little nutrition?

There are so many more factors.  There are different variations of this way of eating, too, just like with vegan/vegetarianism.   In the end, it's a personal decision.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/paleo-potatoes/#axzz2JmreEhIS

http://www.paleoplan.com/2012/07-12/qa-are-sweet-potatoes-paleo/

http://robbwolf.com/2011/11/03/meat-potatoes-back-on-the-menu/

norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Eating so few carbs that your body starts using its stored body fat as well as dietary fat for energy. You have to make sure you are eating plenty of fat if you eat very low carb. 50% of my calories come from fat, 10-15% come from carbs and the rest is protein.

Quoting ciao_kitty:

Quoting norahsmommy:

This is how I feel when I am eating keto level carbs ( 50 grams or under a day) I am very satisfied and don't overdo my calories. I don't have cravings or dips in blood sugar that make me hungry or tired. It's nice not to be up and down all the time!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I logged my meals and snacks for 3 days on MFP once, to please my diabetic nutritionist who was having conniption fits about "not getting enough calories/you're eating too many calories with all that meat and nut flours."  Sigh.  Not all calories are equal.  I was consistently between 1100 and 1300 calories a day, yet I never felt hungry, tired, or drained of energy, and my nutritional profile according to MFP was off the charts.  Veggies...the base of paleo eating...are nutrient dense.  Add in the recommended protein (and ignore the fat & carbs because I'm a low-carb eater in ketosis) and it's a perfect diet with plenty of nutrition and fiber.  I've lost 24 pounds total.

Quoting Lesgerm:

Mind if I ask you a question? How many calories would you say you eat in a day? I'm just trying to get all this figured out :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

Paleo is a nutrient dense diet.  Potatoes do NOT have a lot of nutrition.  Why fill up on something with little nutrition when you could be eating foods with plenty of nutrition?  That is why sweet potatoes are more favored...they are loaded with vitamin A.

Paleo eating goals focus on the effect of the various foods on our bodies.  Potatoes, a starch high on the glycemic index (when compared to sweet potatoes), boost insulin levels, which in turn causes a chain reaction in other areas.  End products of the starch -> glucose -> high insulin levels are AGE's....and they contribute to accelerated aging, insulin resistance, and several degenerative diseases.  Potatoes also contain anti-nutrients like saponins.  Odds are, the potatoes you eat are also not organically grown, so you have that added problem....and if they ARE organically grown, they're expensive.  Again, why put an expensive starch in your body if it doesn't really have a lot of nutrition?

Most people that start following Paleo guidelines for eating are doing it for their health.  Potatoes are not a great contributor to that, especially if a person is overweight.  On the other hand, an athlete that is training several hours a day may...MAY require more carbs...but again, why go for something with little nutrition?

There are so many more factors.  There are different variations of this way of eating, too, just like with vegan/vegetarianism.   In the end, it's a personal decision.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

I can't get behind anything claiming that potatoes aren't healthy and not packed with nutrients.

The fact is that they have nutrients (any food does), but they aren't packed with nutrients.  Sure, they have vitamin C (37.7 mg), but an orange or tomato or broccoli (81.2 mg) has more.  They have B6; any meat is a far better source, and bananas have B6 and far more potassium than a potato.  They have folate, but they're not even in the top 10 list of foods that provide that vitamin.  By contrast, a sweet potato has slightly more vitamin C and almost 800% of the RDA of vitamin A, along with the same amount of B6.  The inflammation factor between the two is like night and day.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Potatoes are a healthier form of starch than pasta or bread, I do agree there! 

Once a week is a lot less than what I see in the typical diet.  Once a week doesn't make it a staple in your diet.  You're right; there is no reason for you to avoid eating them.  This is a choice that each family makes individually. 

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

We eat sweet potatoes but we do enjoy eating regular ones as well. They are healthy and so are we so there is no reason for us to avoid eating them once a week.

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Its more that other things like sweet potatoes have more so eat those instead.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

I can't get behind anything claiming that potatoes aren't healthy and not packed with nutrients.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Know what?  When I follow ketogenic principles, after being diabetic for 12 years, I'm able to reduce the number of meds I take and I am now cutting back on my insulin based on how my blood sugar levels are running.  They're NORMAL, with less insulin! 

Quoting norahsmommy:

Eating so few carbs that your body starts using its stored body fat as well as dietary fat for energy. You have to make sure you are eating plenty of fat if you eat very low carb. 50% of my calories come from fat, 10-15% come from carbs and the rest is protein.

Quoting ciao_kitty:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Lesgerm:

Quoting michiganmom116:

norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this
My sister in law is type 1 and has been able to reduce her insulin use by half eating this way. My brother was type 2 but is not considered diabetic anymore. He has been eating this way for 3 years.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Know what?  When I follow ketogenic principles, after being diabetic for 12 years, I'm able to reduce the number of meds I take and I am now cutting back on my insulin based on how my blood sugar levels are running.  They're NORMAL, with less insulin! 

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting ciao_kitty:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Lesgerm:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I wish my mom would try it.  Her diabetes is just getting worse even though she's following the low-fat/high-fiber/plenty-of-whole-grains/avoid meat/eat-up-and-shoot-up method advocated by her doctor and the ADA.  She's gone blind and has had two heart procedures.  She considers me to be a rebel because I refuse to follow the diet prescribed by the diabetic nutritionist, the same diet that she's following.

Quoting norahsmommy:

My sister in law is type 1 and has been able to reduce her insulin use by half eating this way. My brother was type 2 but is not considered diabetic anymore. He has been eating this way for 3 years.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting ciao_kitty:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Lesgerm:

Quoting michiganmom116:

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, it doesn't have to be eat this OR that because you can eat potatoes and broccoli along with a healthy salad and get the best of all.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

The
fact is
that they have nutrients (any food does), but they aren't
packed with nutrients.  Sure, they have vitamin C (37.7 mg), but an
orange or tomato or broccoli (81.2 mg) has more.  They have B6; any
meat is a far better source, and bananas have B6 and far more potassium
than a potato.  They have folate, but they're not even in the top 10
list of foods that provide that vitamin.  By contrast, a sweet potato has slightly more vitamin C and almost 800% of the RDA of vitamin A, along with the same amount of B6.  The inflammation factor between the two is like night and day.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Honestly I think the food guide pyramid is what started this whole mess with the obesity epidemic ( fast food and processed garbage too). the whole concept of eating the majority of your calories from carbs is not sound to me at all. It's a cheap way to get all your calories but not healthy.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I wish my mom would try it.  Her diabetes is just getting worse even though she's following the low-fat/high-fiber/plenty-of-whole-grains/avoid meat/eat-up-and-shoot-up method advocated by her doctor and the ADA.  She's gone blind and has had two heart procedures.  She considers me to be a rebel because I refuse to follow the diet prescribed by the diabetic nutritionist, the same diet that she's following.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting ciao_kitty:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Lesgerm:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Agree.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Honestly I think the food guide pyramid is what started this whole mess with the obesity epidemic ( fast food and processed garbage too). the whole concept of eating the majority of your calories from carbs is not sound to me at all. It's a cheap way to get all your calories but not healthy.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting ciao_kitty:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Lesgerm:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)