Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

weight loss protein powder??

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:29 PM
  • 9 Replies

Can anyone recommend a protien drink which helps with weight loss?? I would like to loose a good amount of weight and im not a big breakfast eater so I would like to find something to substitute breakfast yet help with weight loss.. Also where can you get this product. Thanks

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
itsm3
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

no and no.  there's no magic pill or powder for weight loss.  the only way to do this is to eat clean, eat your calories for weight loss and get regular exercise.

you should eat breakfast to jump start your metabolism.  even if it's a small snack like a few raw carrots and hummus, start out small and continue to eat until your body adjusts.  trust me, you can train your body to feel hungry by eating at the same times every day.  just eat a little bit at your designated times and over a few weeks, your body will start to feel hungry at those times.  wer all have something called a circadian rhythm (aka  internal clock) that governs all of our bodie's internal processes from when we eat to when we sleep and for those who are on regular schedules, when we poop!  when you eat or sleep at the same times every day, your body will feel hungry or sleepy at those times <-- this is you setting your internal clock to eat at certain times every day

mygirls2012
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Hi thanks for replying my BF was just diagnosed with Diabetes and we are all now eating healthy, i have lost 3.2 lbs in one week.. he lost 10lbs.. not sure on the kids but i just want to make sure im not losing any protein in my diet. we also have stopped soda (we love diet coke) but are now drinking ice water. I even offer that to my girls at dinner time and they are adjusting very well.. thanks again you have answered some of my questions..big smile mini

Quoting itsm3:

no and no.  there's no magic pill or powder for weight loss.  the only way to do this is to eat clean, eat your calories for weight loss and get regular exercise.

you should eat breakfast to jump start your metabolism.  even if it's a small snack like a few raw carrots and hummus, start out small and continue to eat until your body adjusts.  trust me, you can train your body to feel hungry by eating at the same times every day.  just eat a little bit at your designated times and over a few weeks, your body will start to feel hungry at those times.  wer all have something called a circadian rhythm (aka  internal clock) that governs all of our bodie's internal processes from when we eat to when we sleep and for those who are on regular schedules, when we poop!  when you eat or sleep at the same times every day, your body will feel hungry or sleepy at those times <-- this is you setting your internal clock to eat at certain times every day

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I agree here:)

Quoting itsm3:

starinez
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Previous Posts advice was good but I dont think there is anything wrong with a protien shake in the morning to get you going. Some people just cant handle food early in the morning. I can't eat until 9 or so If I do my stomache hurts for at least an hour. Walmart or CVS have loads of Protien Shakes to choose from right now Im drinking Slim Fast High Protien. Its 180 calories and 20 grams of protien and I like the way it tastes verses alot of the other ones I just cant handle the texture or after tastes. Any shake with at least 1 gram of protien for every 10 calories is going to be a good choice. Some are better than others. Oh and watch the carbs, try to stay under 5 carbs per drink. Just my 2 cents, Good Luck.

childofGod995
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I bought my protein powder at Walmart. They say the best protein powder is Whey. Jillian on Biggest Loser says Soy is not good. But the one thing you have to remember is you do need to drink a lot of water. The best thing to do is drink filtered water. If you do not have a Brita filter pitcher, i suggest you get one and drink as much water as possible. As for protein powder goes, I bought Pure Protein Whey Protein. Good luck with your weight loss and i hope i was of help.

itsm3
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

proteins are found in many sources but the key thing to remember is that complete and concentrated sources of proteins are found in lean animal meats.  if you choose not to eat meat, that's fine and plant proteins are healthy too but they are not complete proteins and by that, i mean they are lacking some of the essential amino acids found in complete protein molecules.  in order to complete these proteins, you have to complement veggies with other foods like beans or peanut butter or whole wheat bread etc to get a full source of protein.

so, you can have protein w/out the protein powder -- lean chicken, lean red meat (limit this), turkey etc.  quinoa is also a fantastic source of protein but combine this with veggies to complete it.    i do have protein powder but it's not my main source of protein.

if you want some pizazz in your water, fill a big pitcher with water, slice up some lemons, limes, oranges and grapefruit and throw them all in with ice, store in fridge overnight and voila! flavored water just like how the spas do it :) 

Quoting mygirls2012:

Hi thanks for replying my BF was just diagnosed with Diabetes and we are all now eating healthy, i have lost 3.2 lbs in one week.. he lost 10lbs.. not sure on the kids but i just want to make sure im not losing any protein in my diet. we also have stopped soda (we love diet coke) but are now drinking ice water. I even offer that to my girls at dinner time and they are adjusting very well.. thanks again you have answered some of my questions..big smile mini

Quoting itsm3:

MommyTo5Boys
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

If drinking a shake for breakfast is not something that you can stick with the rest of your life to maintain the weight loss then I would not recommend it. 

You need to find something that you can stick with in the long run, something that will be a life style change not just 'a diet until I lose the weight' thing.

Good luck!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Hunnybadgerkins
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Why not make a smoothie with whey?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I'd stay away from protein powders.  They're highly processed and totally overpriced.  You're better off getting your protein from food sources, like itsm3 suggested.  She has some great info there!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN