Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Looking Forward to Lunch! Update on Husband :-D

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM
  • 10 Replies

I've got a casserole in the oven.  It is one of my usual fearless forrays into making over a conventional recipe into a kosher/more-or-less paleo dish.

It has rice in it - sub in shredded potatoes instead

dark corn syrum - sub in thick honey (in other words, a jug of honey that's been in the cupboard without a lid for the last year)

Raisins - I don't have any dry fruit so I added a pound of ground beef

Butter - butter in a meat dish isn't kosher so used beef fat instead

Milk - again, not kosher for a meat dish and not really paleo so used an equal amount of rich beef stock

Main ingredient is liver.  I'm hoping that the ground beef will disguise the liver enough that my husband will eat it for dinner tonight.  

Also has an egg (to help thicken the sauce), onion, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper for seasoning.  Seriously guys, this smells SOOOOO good!

So, my husband seriously (thinks he does) hates liver.  By lunch today, he will have had 4 servings of this recipe had he still doesn't realize there's liver in it.  The original recipe comes from The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever by Beatrice Ojakangas, although she probably won't recognize her recipe in my version.  :-)

2 T beef drippings, plus extra to oil the pan
3 C shredded potato, parboiled for 8 to 10 minutes, then drained
2 1/2 C rich beef stock
1 large egg, beaten
1 medium onion, chopped
2 T honey
1 T salt
1 t pepper
1/2 t marjoram
1 lb ground beef, cooked (use the drained fat for the other fats called for in the recipe)
1 lb liver, sliced and finely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Oil a shallow 2 qt casserole dish.

Mix the potatoe, stock, and egg in a large bowl

Heat the beef drippings in a skillet and brown the onion in it.  Add to the potato and stock mixture.  Stir in the honey and seasonings.  Add the liver and pour into the oiled casserole dish.

Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour or until the casserole is set. 

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Great job!  Sounds like you're quite the chef  :)

I just had homemade meatballs with homemade roasted tomato, onion, garlic sauce and peas.  it was so yum

KME3
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Interesting...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Your meatballs sound amazing!  I like to put some shredded squash and minced greens in my meatballs.

I'm not a chef; I've taken exctly one cooking class in my entire life.  But Alton Brown and the staff behind America's Test Kitch are d@mn good teachers.  :-)

Quoting Stefanie83:

I just had homemade meatballs with homemade roasted tomato, onion, garlic sauce and peas.  it was so yum

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I love onion or garlic or spinach and basil in my meatballs :)  And I'm not paleo or kosher so I have some breadcrumbs (processed ezekiel in food processor) and freshly shredded parmesan ;)

Quoting eema.gray:

Your meatballs sound amazing!  I like to put some shredded squash and minced greens in my meatballs.

I'm not a chef; I've taken exctly one cooking class in my entire life.  But Alton Brown and the staff behind America's Test Kitch are d@mn good teachers.  :-)

Quoting Stefanie83:

iknitsweatersyo
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Youre brave! I dont think i could ever eat liver
eema.gray
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Kids and I eat it a few times a week.  My husband has bad childhood memories, LOL.  I make sausage sometimes with a mix of ground chuck and liver and he eats that no problem.  This is my first attempt at not having it ground and mixed into something else so we'll see.

Quoting iknitsweatersyo:

Youre brave! I dont think i could ever eat liver

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Sounds delish! After we dropped bacon I decided the next step was to follow the meat/dairy rule. First time in my life!
eema.gray
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Proper homemade stock easily replaces milk in most mixed recipes because the collegen and other disolved connective tissue acts a lot like the protein solids in milk.  :-)  This lunch casserole didn't thicken as much as milk plus eggs would but it was still thicker than when it went into the oven and absolutely delicious.  I just wish I'd followed my instincts and halved the amount of sweetener from 1/4  C down to a couple tablespoons.  It's a little disconcerting to have such a strong sweet flavor in a meat dish.

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Sounds delish! After we dropped bacon I decided the next step was to follow the meat/dairy rule. First time in my life!

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM
:) thanks!

Quoting eema.gray:

Proper homemade stock easily replaces milk in most mixed recipes because the collegen and other disolved connective tissue acts a lot like the protein solids in milk.  :-)  This lunch casserole didn't thicken as much as milk plus eggs would but it was still thicker than when it went into the oven and absolutely delicious.  I just wish I'd followed my instincts and halved the amount of sweetener from 1/4  C down to a couple tablespoons.  It's a little disconcerting to have such a strong sweet flavor in a meat dish.

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

eema.gray
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Bump for update on supposedly liver-hating husband.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN