Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

recommendations? trying to supress my appetite

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:41 PM
  • 11 Replies
I am looking for a diet pill (or even drink) of some sort to help curb my appetite. I do not want to have to watch what I eat, nor do I want to have to exercise a whole lot. I am not overweight, just a little heavier than I would like to be. I am already very active and although I do not have a regular exercise routine, I do sit ups, crunches, lunges, things like that a couple of times a week. My problem is that I work 9.5 hours a day Monday-Friday and I eat SO much while I am at work. I get so hungry and usually eat a few snacks and sometimes even 2 lunches. I have tried controlling this but I'm honestly just hungry. I thought it had to do with breastfeeding but now I am only feeding at night (but plan to stop all together soon). Basically I want something that curbs my appetite. Something that helps with fat loss too would be nice but only if I don't have to cut out a lot of good foods. I am just not willing to do that right now. I love cooking and baking too much plus I am only 22 I am too young for all that! What do you ladies think would be good for me? Thanks in advance :)
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eema.gray
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM
3 moms liked this

You're not going to find those recommendations here.  This is a **healthy** weight loss group, which generally means making food and exercise choices one can maintain for life.  It's not about quick fixes.

I found my appetite naturally supressed with an increase in fats and decrease in carbohydrate foods.  I had to cut gluten last fall due to sensitivity and started using fats to make up some of the calorie difference.  I don't have to eat every couple hours now.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope...there is no pill that does this. Pills are dangerous. They can cause many issues with your kidneys, liver, heart and brain functions. It's not worth the risk. 

I think if you were really ready to lost what you want, then you would make the sacrifices necessary. I'm a former Chef, I eat well, indulge, workout, and lose weight. ( not to mention I'm much older than you, which makes a difference in metabolism, etc)

If you eat lean proteins, healthy fats and fiber, it will fill you up and you won't need to mindlessly snack. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

Mama_Gleich
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Pills have been known to really mess with the metabolism... So my advice would be to not take a pill.... Sometimes the body thinks its hungry when it is actually thirsty! Try drinking more water!! It's filling yet oh so good for the body!!!! :-) and up your vegetable intake!! :-) 

triplet_2004
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I don't have too many tips but the one that strikes me right away is to add chia seeds to your diet. They swell up to 10 times their own size and help you feel fuller longer (add them to anything you eat) also make sure you're drinking enough water and getting in enoughprotein...not just quick burning carbs.  I know you'll get a ton of advice on here. =)

M4LG5
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Drinking water and having healthy snacks (full of protein) every 2 hours or as often as you need.  I look to hard boiled eggs for snacks, fruit, and try to drink a lot of water.

ballerina.2006
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Up your water intake. Drink a glass of water everytime you want to snack or eat (unless it is lunch time or halfway between a meal and time for a snack). Keep high protein snacks available like nuts/trail mix/quinoa/grilled chicken. A dr won't Rx an appetite suppressant unless you are severely overweight and even then you have to jump through hoops for it. I highly suggest the water.

ACsLady
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM

There is a tonic of sorts that is really good for you and will likely curb your appetite. Before I share that though, I have to say that it may not be a good idea to try to curb it. If your body is telling you you're hungry, I'd say there's good reason for it. What kind of job do you have? If you're active at all, then that would make sense. Even the time you spend at work could be the culprit...after working so much you have to come home to a baby that needs you. That's taxing. Nursing also takes a lot more out of women than most of them realise, even if it isn't full time.

I would focus on incorporating more good, whole foods and limiting any bad, junky snacks if that's a problem. Otherwise, just snack throughout the day...there's no rule that says you can't eat constantly. It's just a matter of what and how much you're eating. Nuts, hardboiled eggs, string cheese, fruit, veggies, crackers, chicken or turkey breast....things like that are perfectly fine to munch on all day. If you find it's difficult to not eat often, then eliminate big meals all together and have little things throughout the day. Take the time to sit down, chew your food slowly and let everything process. If you're eating quickly, then it's really not good for you and could be part of the problem as well. Be sure you're sipping on water constantly as well. Taking the time to hold each sip in your mouth and swish it around a bit before swallowing is really great for digestion, oral health, and gut health - it helps your body know what you're getting and it can better communicate what things you need and proper hunger signals. Good habit to get into.

Just some things to think about...

If you really want to try this drink, there's no harm in it. Like I said, it's really good for you and will help with all kinds of ailments if you have them and keep you healthy in general. You should drink it on an empty stomach. First thing in the morning is a great time. You want to do it once a day, but up to three times is fine.

8 oz. room temperature or warm water (room temp, it's easiest to get it down quick; warm, it tastes like hot apple cider so you might like sipping it slower...up to you)
2 Tbsp. Raw apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. Raw honey
1 tsp. Cinnamon

KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Make sure you eat protein with every meal. That really helps. Two other things that help me when I WANT to eat, but shouldn't... I either chew gum or drink some hot tea.

mommynewc
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:06 AM
Water, water, water! Everyday I drink a ton of water with lemon and cucumber in it. It really helps with my appetite! Sometimes I even put some blueberries or apple. Yummy!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM

haha good luck trying to find a pill here.  this is a healthy weight loss group and we don't condone such unsafe things.  the only thing people here will tell you is to eat right, eat properly and exercise.

having said that, what exactly do you eat?  if you are eating processed junk that has no nutritional value then that's why you're always hungry... sounds to me your blood glucose levels are off (always spiking).  give us a sample of what you eat at work and we can make recommendations.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)