Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

I'm new to this group. My name is Jenny. I weigh 290 right now, but tomorrow could be 280. I fluctuate a lot and I don't really know why that is. I am married to a skinny guy which I find funny because he basically never eats because he isn't hungry and I can NOT relate to that. I have two wonderful kids who I feed healthy food because I don't want them to have to deal with diabetes or any other health problems. My son just turned 1 last month and My daughter is 2 turning 3 in April.

When I really try, I can lose weight. I proved that to myself during my pregnancy. I wanted to eat healthier for my baby and I ended up gaining nothing and losing weight after I gave birth. I was about 30 lbs less after I gave birth than I was beforre I got pregnant. However I have gained every bit of it back now. 

I do want to say that I like my body which is why I think I have such a hard time actually putting in the effort and eating right. I enjoy food and I never work out. I did like that my diabetes was under control when I was eating rigth and walking a mile a day and I want it to be that way again.

So, how do you guys motivate yourselves? How can I motivate myself? What are some easy exercises other than walking that I can try. Keep in mind, my husband works 40 hours a week and I am a SAHM.

So, I don't have time away from the kids to exercise. It would have to be with them right there underfoot. And the reason I stopped walking is because I can't really do it with two kids. I mean, yes I can and do go on walks, but not quickly because my daughter likes to stop and pick up leaves. Plus, she's two, she walks slow.

Anyway, this is rambling on. If anyone has any advice or ideas, please let me know. Thank you.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Replies (31-40):
jendawgrox2004
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I will check that out. Thank you.

Quoting Lika640:

I got a bit lucky when I stumbled upon the power of Emotional Weight Loss, to be honest. There was some amazing research done by men and women far more brilliant than I, and their work illuminated the path that I now follow, and guide other women just like you to follow as well. I lost weight, but knowing the main reason why I have gained. You can read here - http://weightlosste.blogspot.com/

jendawgrox2004
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:18 AM

128 hours would be if he never slept. LOL. Thank you for your advice. I think I just need to find my motivation.

Quoting justinnaimee:

Get rid of the excuses. Sorry if I sound mean but really. 40 hours is nothing. That leaves 128 hours per week he is not working and can help you out. Beyond that my hubby works out of town for weeks at a time, we have 2 kids as well, and I still find time to work out. After they go to bed or before they get up do a video. Have a dance party. Put them in a stroller and go for a walk. Join a gym with a daycare. There are hundreds of viable options.

jendawgrox2004
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I like the idea of taking it a little at a time. Thanks!

Quoting wahmx3:

Are you looking at what you weigh now and how far you have to go? Don't look at it as 120 pounds or whatever your goal weight is....that sounds so hard to do....instead, focus on small goals. You can lose 10 pounds, then the next 10 pounds and so on. Reward yourself at every 10 pounds or so...an exercise dvd, book, pair of earrings, sports bra etc etc, whatever will motivate you to the next 10 pounds. Everyone is right though, only you can motivate you! This is a great group for information and support, once you are ready to get started. I hope you find that motivation soon, for yourself and your family.

justinnaimee
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:25 AM
That's true. But seriously. If he sleeps 8 hours per night that's still 72 hours per week he is not working or sleeping.

I understand the motivation is hard. Starting is the hardest part. Start small. Before bed do a yoga video. Once you get good at that add a morning routine. Once you've got those down walk or do a zumba video (you can find free videos of YouTube) find what you enjoy and do it! You'll be glad you did

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

128 hours would be if he never slept. LOL. Thank you for your advice. I think I just need to find my motivation.

Quoting justinnaimee:

Get rid of the excuses. Sorry if I sound mean but really. 40 hours is nothing. That leaves 128 hours per week he is not working and can help you out. Beyond that my hubby works out of town for weeks at a time, we have 2 kids as well, and I still find time to work out. After they go to bed or before they get up do a video. Have a dance party. Put them in a stroller and go for a walk. Join a gym with a daycare. There are hundreds of viable options.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BoofersGurl17
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Another really good tracker is called fat secret. Hope this helps. That app really helped me in losing weight and keeping track of the weight loss and what I was eating.

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

Thank you. And you're right. No one else can motivate me, but me. A tracker is what I was looking for, I just didn't know what to call it.

Quoting vboatner:

If you want trackers, try sparkpeople or myfitnesspal. They are great tools for helping you track.

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

That type of thing does scare me, but my sugars are under control with medication. I would just like to get off the medication. Youa re the second person who suggested something frightening me into losing weight and while I agree that might work at the beginning, I don't think I will be able to stay motivated. I need something that helps me track the weight and shows me that it actually is happeneing even if it's slow. I hate that it's not an instant gratification type of situation. I have to keep working at it and I lose my focus after like 20 pounds. I don't know. Thank you for your suggestion.

Quoting mem82:

Google pictures of diabetics who don't keep their sugar under control. My dad has had open, running, pus oozing sores on his feet for YEARS that won't heal and he is going blind all because he didn't keep his sugar in check. He has also been in a coma three times because of it. As a child I was terrified of finding my dad dead because he slid into his first coma during an afternoon nap. If the pictures and stories you find don't motivate you and if knowing you could leave your kids motherless doesn't scare you, I don't know what will, honestly.

Xfitmom
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I chose to lose weight, tone up and get healthy not only for myself but for my daughter and boyfriend. I don't ever want to be put in a position where they have to take care of me or lose me when it all could have been prevented. I felt that remaining unhealthy was not only selfish but dangerous. As a mother it is my job to protect and teach my daughter. I set the example. What message does it send if you aren't the best you that you can be? What message does it send when you give your kids healthy food but not yourself. This isn't just about you. It's about your kids and your husband. My loved ones motivate me a whole lot.

jendawgrox2004
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Thank youf ro the suggestions. I would have to do them while the kids are awake. My son is a super light sleeper. Any noise and he wakes up. He's finally sleeping through the night and I don't want to ruin it. I tried yoga a couple times before, and I ended up with back issues for like a month. I am going to look up youtube exercises now and try some and until I have a double stroller, I will ask my mom to watch the kids while i take a 20 minute walk. Thank you.

Quoting justinnaimee:

That's true. But seriously. If he sleeps 8 hours per night that's still 72 hours per week he is not working or sleeping.

I understand the motivation is hard. Starting is the hardest part. Start small. Before bed do a yoga video. Once you get good at that add a morning routine. Once you've got those down walk or do a zumba video (you can find free videos of YouTube) find what you enjoy and do it! You'll be glad you did

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

Quoting justinnaimee:

jendawgrox2004
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Thank you. I will think about what you wrote.

Quoting Xfitmom:

I chose to lose weight, tone up and get healthy not only for myself but for my daughter and boyfriend. I don't ever want to be put in a position where they have to take care of me or lose me when it all could have been prevented. I felt that remaining unhealthy was not only selfish but dangerous. As a mother it is my job to protect and teach my daughter. I set the example. What message does it send if you aren't the best you that you can be? What message does it send when you give your kids healthy food but not yourself. This isn't just about you. It's about your kids and your husband. My loved ones motivate me a whole lot.

yellownes8
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:12 PM
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/bab/3593377639.html

That person is selling their double stroller for $30...too bad you don't live closer lol

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/bab/3593377639.html
That one is $60

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/bab/3579374157.html
That one is $50

Basically my point is that there are good deals on Craigslist for strollers but you have to just keep looking. There might not be any in your area now but keep checking!

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

Seriously? Under $50? I go on craigslist all the time and never find people posting strollers for that here.

Quoting yellownes8:

Check on Craigslist...I've seen double strollers for under $50. You need to lose weight and you can't put a price on your health. The DVD is around $10-$15. Also my kids like doing the DVD with me so maybe yours would like it too!

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

I can't afford that right now. I would love one, but we are saving to move which is ore important right now. I will check out that DVD though. Maybe I could get my mother to watch them for 20-30 minutes a day. It would be good to have a break anyway.

Quoting yellownes8:

Buy a double stroller...I have a 3 year old, 2 year old and 8 month old. If we go anywhere the little ones go in the stroller and my 3 year old walks. She can fit in the stroller too though if I don't have one of my little ones with me. You could go for plenty of long walks if you get one. Also there's a DVD called walk away the pounds by Leslie Sansone. She adds in other exercises to the walks so it's actually a pretty good work out and each workout only takes 20-30 minute. I lost 15 lbs in 2 months. I weigh less than you do though so I'm sure in 2 months you could lose even more.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:47 PM
If you don't want it bad enough no one can do or say anything to make you or motivate you. Making a healthy lifestyle change has to come from within. If you don't want it then its not going to happen.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN