Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

I'm new to this group. My name is Jenny. I weigh 290 right now, but tomorrow could be 280. I fluctuate a lot and I don't really know why that is. I am married to a skinny guy which I find funny because he basically never eats because he isn't hungry and I can NOT relate to that. I have two wonderful kids who I feed healthy food because I don't want them to have to deal with diabetes or any other health problems. My son just turned 1 last month and My daughter is 2 turning 3 in April.

When I really try, I can lose weight. I proved that to myself during my pregnancy. I wanted to eat healthier for my baby and I ended up gaining nothing and losing weight after I gave birth. I was about 30 lbs less after I gave birth than I was beforre I got pregnant. However I have gained every bit of it back now. 

I do want to say that I like my body which is why I think I have such a hard time actually putting in the effort and eating right. I enjoy food and I never work out. I did like that my diabetes was under control when I was eating rigth and walking a mile a day and I want it to be that way again.

So, how do you guys motivate yourselves? How can I motivate myself? What are some easy exercises other than walking that I can try. Keep in mind, my husband works 40 hours a week and I am a SAHM.

So, I don't have time away from the kids to exercise. It would have to be with them right there underfoot. And the reason I stopped walking is because I can't really do it with two kids. I mean, yes I can and do go on walks, but not quickly because my daughter likes to stop and pick up leaves. Plus, she's two, she walks slow.

Anyway, this is rambling on. If anyone has any advice or ideas, please let me know. Thank you.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Replies (41-50):
justinnaimee
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:55 PM
My kids love doing yoga! And zumba. They can do it too and its good for them!

(Your baby might be too little but just pop him into s high chair or pack and play with treats and toys. He'd be fine for a half hour )

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

Thank youf ro the suggestions. I would have to do them while the kids are awake. My son is a super light sleeper. Any noise and he wakes up. He's finally sleeping through the night and I don't want to ruin it. I tried yoga a couple times before, and I ended up with back issues for like a month. I am going to look up youtube exercises now and try some and until I have a double stroller, I will ask my mom to watch the kids while i take a 20 minute walk. Thank you.

Quoting justinnaimee:

That's true. But seriously. If he sleeps 8 hours per night that's still 72 hours per week he is not working or sleeping.

I understand the motivation is hard. Starting is the hardest part. Start small. Before bed do a yoga video. Once you get good at that add a morning routine. Once you've got those down walk or do a zumba video (you can find free videos of YouTube) find what you enjoy and do it! You'll be glad you did

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

128 hours would be if he never slept. LOL. Thank you for your advice. I think I just need to find my motivation.

Quoting justinnaimee:

Get rid of the excuses. Sorry if I sound mean but really. 40 hours is nothing. That leaves 128 hours per week he is not working and can help you out. Beyond that my hubby works out of town for weeks at a time, we have 2 kids as well, and I still find time to work out. After they go to bed or before they get up do a video. Have a dance party. Put them in a stroller and go for a walk. Join a gym with a daycare. There are hundreds of viable options.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Claire is spot-on.  I know I had to hit rock bottom to get serious.  I knew for a long time I needed to lose weight, even know what I had to do, realistically.  I had a thousand excuses (or "reasons", in my head) why I "couldn't" do it.  Then my rock bottom happened, and I got pissed off enough to get serious.

I agree that writing things out is a great way to go.  Write down all the reasons why you want to lose weight (only the ones that motivate you- if the diabetes doesn't motivate you, don't write it down).  Then write down all of your excuses and how you'll bust them.  Keep it realistic for YOUR life.

Honestly, though, you don't sound like you're in "that place" yet.  Once you have it in your head that you're serious, nothing can stop you, but only YOU can find that place.  I hope you find it soon, because diabetes is really scary, and I'm sure your kids would love to have you around and healthy!  =)  More and more research is showing the benefits of exercise on insulin and glucose levels, too, just FYI.

Good luck!!

Quoting mcginnisc:

Oh honey..

Most of us have to hit rock bottom for us to be truly motivated. This is something I would like for you to do... sit down and write out WHY you would like to lose weight or be healthy... It can be as silly as wearing a shirt you haven't worn for years, or it can be serious about your Diabetes. It doesn't matter how many things you write downor how arbitrary it may seem, just make that list, make copies and keep them wherever you will see them daily. 

Motivation has to come frm within you. I can give you the tools, but you have to follow through. 

The first step is to really look at what you eat, why you eat and how much you eat. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% activity. You should be eating lean proteins, tons of produce, and lots of water. If you decide to eat grains, make sure they are whole grains.

Take your weight and divide by 2. This is a general guideline of how many oz of water you should drink daily.

Exercises- There are tons that you can do with kids at home! Many of us in here are SAHM so you are not alone. You can find workouts on youtube.com, On Demand, and Netflix. Some of them incoporate kids into them! You could also invest in a few DVDS as you can find them for $10 or less sometimes. Jumping rope, lunges, squats, pushups, pull ups, situps...all of those are easily done at home.

You can do it!

Let me know if I can help you. I'm in the process of getting my Personal Trainer Certifications, a SAHM, and I've been on my own weight loss journey.  

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:32 PM

if you don't want it, then why do it? Unless you have health issues as a result... if you like your body, just try to maintain.... there's no law that you have to be super skinny.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I also wanted to add that I have a couple of journals that might help give you some ideas.  I've lost over 100 lbs, and I still have more to go, so I understand having a large number looming.  It sucks!  But it CAN be done!

Resources

What's working for me

Weight loss tips

Eating clean

Suzanne

jendawgrox2004
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:18 PM

That's a good idea two. He just started to like the playpen. He hates his highchair unless he has food though. I've been exercises since I made this post. I've been doing mydailytracker and I really like it. It counts my calories for me and tells me how much I've burned when I exercise. It's really an excellent site. I'm really motivated right now and not exactly sure why. I don't think it will last but I'm going with it for the moment.

Quoting justinnaimee:

My kids love doing yoga! And zumba. They can do it too and its good for them!

(Your baby might be too little but just pop him into s high chair or pack and play with treats and toys. He'd be fine for a half hour )

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

Thank youf ro the suggestions. I would have to do them while the kids are awake. My son is a super light sleeper. Any noise and he wakes up. He's finally sleeping through the night and I don't want to ruin it. I tried yoga a couple times before, and I ended up with back issues for like a month. I am going to look up youtube exercises now and try some and until I have a double stroller, I will ask my mom to watch the kids while i take a 20 minute walk. Thank you.

Quoting justinnaimee:

That's true. But seriously. If he sleeps 8 hours per night that's still 72 hours per week he is not working or sleeping.

I understand the motivation is hard. Starting is the hardest part. Start small. Before bed do a yoga video. Once you get good at that add a morning routine. Once you've got those down walk or do a zumba video (you can find free videos of YouTube) find what you enjoy and do it! You'll be glad you did

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

128 hours would be if he never slept. LOL. Thank you for your advice. I think I just need to find my motivation.

Quoting justinnaimee:

Get rid of the excuses. Sorry if I sound mean but really. 40 hours is nothing. That leaves 128 hours per week he is not working and can help you out. Beyond that my hubby works out of town for weeks at a time, we have 2 kids as well, and I still find time to work out. After they go to bed or before they get up do a video. Have a dance party. Put them in a stroller and go for a walk. Join a gym with a daycare. There are hundreds of viable options.

jendawgrox2004
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:20 PM

It's mainly because I have diabetes. I also haveslightly elevated cholesterol. Not to mention knee and back issues. While I like the way I look, my body is not cooperating with me. And god no, I don't want to be super skinny. I think it would look weird for me.

Quoting Idntreallycare:

if you don't want it, then why do it? Unless you have health issues as a result... if you like your body, just try to maintain.... there's no law that you have to be super skinny.

jendawgrox2004
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Thank you for your suggestions and the links in your other post. I've been exercising for the past couple days and using mydailytracker, which I really love. It's an awesome site. Right now I'm really motivated, but I don't know if it'll last. I'm making the most of it at the moment though.

Quoting musicpisces:

Claire is spot-on.  I know I had to hit rock bottom to get serious.  I knew for a long time I needed to lose weight, even know what I had to do, realistically.  I had a thousand excuses (or "reasons", in my head) why I "couldn't" do it.  Then my rock bottom happened, and I got pissed off enough to get serious.

I agree that writing things out is a great way to go.  Write down all the reasons why you want to lose weight (only the ones that motivate you- if the diabetes doesn't motivate you, don't write it down).  Then write down all of your excuses and how you'll bust them.  Keep it realistic for YOUR life.

Honestly, though, you don't sound like you're in "that place" yet.  Once you have it in your head that you're serious, nothing can stop you, but only YOU can find that place.  I hope you find it soon, because diabetes is really scary, and I'm sure your kids would love to have you around and healthy!  =)  More and more research is showing the benefits of exercise on insulin and glucose levels, too, just FYI.

Good luck!!

Quoting mcginnisc:

Oh honey..

Most of us have to hit rock bottom for us to be truly motivated. This is something I would like for you to do... sit down and write out WHY you would like to lose weight or be healthy... It can be as silly as wearing a shirt you haven't worn for years, or it can be serious about your Diabetes. It doesn't matter how many things you write downor how arbitrary it may seem, just make that list, make copies and keep them wherever you will see them daily. 

Motivation has to come frm within you. I can give you the tools, but you have to follow through. 

The first step is to really look at what you eat, why you eat and how much you eat. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% activity. You should be eating lean proteins, tons of produce, and lots of water. If you decide to eat grains, make sure they are whole grains.

Take your weight and divide by 2. This is a general guideline of how many oz of water you should drink daily.

Exercises- There are tons that you can do with kids at home! Many of us in here are SAHM so you are not alone. You can find workouts on youtube.com, On Demand, and Netflix. Some of them incoporate kids into them! You could also invest in a few DVDS as you can find them for $10 or less sometimes. Jumping rope, lunges, squats, pushups, pull ups, situps...all of those are easily done at home.

You can do it!

Let me know if I can help you. I'm in the process of getting my Personal Trainer Certifications, a SAHM, and I've been on my own weight loss journey.  

jendawgrox2004
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I found one for 35 yesterday, but they didn't answer my phone call. Oh well, I've been having my mom watch them for 20 minutes while I walk a mile and then coming back and walking with my daughter to the bus stop. So, that way I get a nice brisk walk in then a cool down slow pace walk as well. It's working for now, until of course my mother decides she doesn't want to help. Everyone on here had great suggestions. I've been doing mydailytracker and I love it and am trying to do evry thing I can while motivated, which right now I am.

Quoting yellownes8:

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/bab/3593377639.html

That person is selling their double stroller for $30...too bad you don't live closer lol

That one is $60

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/bab/3579374157.html
That one is $50

Basically my point is that there are good deals on Craigslist for strollers but you have to just keep looking. There might not be any in your area now but keep checking!

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

Seriously? Under $50? I go on craigslist all the time and never find people posting strollers for that here.

Quoting yellownes8:

Check on Craigslist...I've seen double strollers for under $50. You need to lose weight and you can't put a price on your health. The DVD is around $10-$15. Also my kids like doing the DVD with me so maybe yours would like it too!

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

I can't afford that right now. I would love one, but we are saving to move which is ore important right now. I will check out that DVD though. Maybe I could get my mother to watch them for 20-30 minutes a day. It would be good to have a break anyway.

Quoting yellownes8:

Buy a double stroller...I have a 3 year old, 2 year old and 8 month old. If we go anywhere the little ones go in the stroller and my 3 year old walks. She can fit in the stroller too though if I don't have one of my little ones with me. You could go for plenty of long walks if you get one. Also there's a DVD called walk away the pounds by Leslie Sansone. She adds in other exercises to the walks so it's actually a pretty good work out and each workout only takes 20-30 minute. I lost 15 lbs in 2 months. I weigh less than you do though so I'm sure in 2 months you could lose even more.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you thought about writing stuff out now, while you ARE motivated?  Write out why you're motivated, what's got that fire lit under your butt, what's working for you.  Write out how it feels to feel this way, how it feels to make good choices, to eat properly and exercise.  How it feels to put in the work, and whether it's worth it!  It can be a good reminder and put you back in this place when you're needing a little kick in the pants.  =)

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

Thank you for your suggestions and the links in your other post. I've been exercising for the past couple days and using mydailytracker, which I really love. It's an awesome site. Right now I'm really motivated, but I don't know if it'll last. I'm making the most of it at the moment though.

Quoting musicpisces:

Good luck!!

Quoting mcginnisc:

Oh honey..

You can do it!

Suzanne

yellownes8
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:46 PM
That's great! You would really like the DVD I told you about. It's brisk walking but she adds in a few moves too which makes it an even better workout than just walking. Good luck to you! Keep up the exercise! :)

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

I found one for 35 yesterday, but they didn't answer my phone call. Oh well, I've been having my mom watch them for 20 minutes while I walk a mile and then coming back and walking with my daughter to the bus stop. So, that way I get a nice brisk walk in then a cool down slow pace walk as well. It's working for now, until of course my mother decides she doesn't want to help. Everyone on here had great suggestions. I've been doing mydailytracker and I love it and am trying to do evry thing I can while motivated, which right now I am.

Quoting yellownes8:

That person is selling their double stroller for $30...too bad you don't live closer lol

That one is $60

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/bab/3579374157.html

That one is $50

Basically my point is that there are good deals on Craigslist for strollers but you have to just keep looking. There might not be any in your area now but keep checking!

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

Seriously? Under $50? I go on craigslist all the time and never find people posting strollers for that here.

Quoting yellownes8:

Check on Craigslist...I've seen double strollers for under $50. You need to lose weight and you can't put a price on your health. The DVD is around $10-$15. Also my kids like doing the DVD with me so maybe yours would like it too!

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

I can't afford that right now. I would love one, but we are saving to move which is ore important right now. I will check out that DVD though. Maybe I could get my mother to watch them for 20-30 minutes a day. It would be good to have a break anyway.

Quoting yellownes8:

Buy a double stroller...I have a 3 year old, 2 year old and 8 month old. If we go anywhere the little ones go in the stroller and my 3 year old walks. She can fit in the stroller too though if I don't have one of my little ones with me. You could go for plenty of long walks if you get one. Also there's a DVD called walk away the pounds by Leslie Sansone. She adds in other exercises to the walks so it's actually a pretty good work out and each workout only takes 20-30 minute. I lost 15 lbs in 2 months. I weigh less than you do though so I'm sure in 2 months you could lose even more.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN