Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

I'm new to this group. My name is Jenny. I weigh 290 right now, but tomorrow could be 280. I fluctuate a lot and I don't really know why that is. I am married to a skinny guy which I find funny because he basically never eats because he isn't hungry and I can NOT relate to that. I have two wonderful kids who I feed healthy food because I don't want them to have to deal with diabetes or any other health problems. My son just turned 1 last month and My daughter is 2 turning 3 in April.

When I really try, I can lose weight. I proved that to myself during my pregnancy. I wanted to eat healthier for my baby and I ended up gaining nothing and losing weight after I gave birth. I was about 30 lbs less after I gave birth than I was beforre I got pregnant. However I have gained every bit of it back now. 

I do want to say that I like my body which is why I think I have such a hard time actually putting in the effort and eating right. I enjoy food and I never work out. I did like that my diabetes was under control when I was eating rigth and walking a mile a day and I want it to be that way again.

So, how do you guys motivate yourselves? How can I motivate myself? What are some easy exercises other than walking that I can try. Keep in mind, my husband works 40 hours a week and I am a SAHM.

So, I don't have time away from the kids to exercise. It would have to be with them right there underfoot. And the reason I stopped walking is because I can't really do it with two kids. I mean, yes I can and do go on walks, but not quickly because my daughter likes to stop and pick up leaves. Plus, she's two, she walks slow.

Anyway, this is rambling on. If anyone has any advice or ideas, please let me know. Thank you.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Replies (51-60):
Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Well, with the diabetes and cholesterol issues I would try to lose weight. Just lose until the issues are gone, if you want to keep a fair amount of the weight

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

It's mainly because I have diabetes. I also haveslightly elevated cholesterol. Not to mention knee and back issues. While I like the way I look, my body is not cooperating with me. And god no, I don't want to be super skinny. I think it would look weird for me.

Quoting Idntreallycare:

if you don't want it, then why do it? Unless you have health issues as a result... if you like your body, just try to maintain.... there's no law that you have to be super skinny.

I'm aiming for at least 400 miles in 2013 and to lose 45 pounds, watch me reach my goal

Jazmyn1
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Im in the same boat I want to be thin so bad I was always thin. Breifly my story I was always 115 or less I got pregnant with my daughter when I was 19 WIC told me because I was under weight I needed to eat every couple of hours so I did when I gave birth I was 199 I lost it all afterwards and when I got pregnant with my son I was maybe 150 and when I gave birth I was 258 Ive been up and down since then but at my highest now of 285. I believe a lot of pain and self hate came into me in that time and thats whays caused my weight gain. I wanna lose but feel Im too far gone.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Oh honey..

Most of us have to hit rock bottom for us to be truly motivated. This is something I would like for you to do... sit down and write out WHY you would like to lose weight or be healthy... It can be as silly as wearing a shirt you haven't worn for years, or it can be serious about your Diabetes. It doesn't matter how many things you write downor how arbitrary it may seem, just make that list, make copies and keep them wherever you will see them daily. 

Motivation has to come frm within you. I can give you the tools, but you have to follow through. 

The first step is to really look at what you eat, why you eat and how much you eat. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% activity. You should be eating lean proteins, tons of produce, and lots of water. If you decide to eat grains, make sure they are whole grains.

Take your weight and divide by 2. This is a general guideline of how many oz of water you should drink daily.

Exercises- There are tons that you can do with kids at home! Many of us in here are SAHM so you are not alone. You can find workouts on youtube.com, On Demand, and Netflix. Some of them incoporate kids into them! You could also invest in a few DVDS as you can find them for $10 or less sometimes. Jumping rope, lunges, squats, pushups, pull ups, situps...all of those are easily done at home.

You can do it!

Let me know if I can help you. I'm in the process of getting my Personal Trainer Certifications, a SAHM, and I've been on my own weight loss journey.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jendawgrox2004
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM

After I say the suggestion on here, I tried, but I couldn't figure it out. Except for the fact that I want my diabetes under control and so I won't die young.

Quoting musicpisces:

Have you thought about writing stuff out now, while you ARE motivated?  Write out why you're motivated, what's got that fire lit under your butt, what's working for you.  Write out how it feels to feel this way, how it feels to make good choices, to eat properly and exercise.  How it feels to put in the work, and whether it's worth it!  It can be a good reminder and put you back in this place when you're needing a little kick in the pants.  =)

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

Thank you for your suggestions and the links in your other post. I've been exercising for the past couple days and using mydailytracker, which I really love. It's an awesome site. Right now I'm really motivated, but I don't know if it'll last. I'm making the most of it at the moment though.

Quoting musicpisces:

Claire is spot-on.  I know I had to hit rock bottom to get serious.  I knew for a long time I needed to lose weight, even know what I had to do, realistically.  I had a thousand excuses (or "reasons", in my head) why I "couldn't" do it.  Then my rock bottom happened, and I got pissed off enough to get serious.

I agree that writing things out is a great way to go.  Write down all the reasons why you want to lose weight (only the ones that motivate you- if the diabetes doesn't motivate you, don't write it down).  Then write down all of your excuses and how you'll bust them.  Keep it realistic for YOUR life.

Honestly, though, you don't sound like you're in "that place" yet.  Once you have it in your head that you're serious, nothing can stop you, but only YOU can find that place.  I hope you find it soon, because diabetes is really scary, and I'm sure your kids would love to have you around and healthy!  =)  More and more research is showing the benefits of exercise on insulin and glucose levels, too, just FYI.

Good luck!!

Quoting mcginnisc:

Oh honey..

Most of us have to hit rock bottom for us to be truly motivated. This is something I would like for you to do... sit down and write out WHY you would like to lose weight or be healthy... It can be as silly as wearing a shirt you haven't worn for years, or it can be serious about your Diabetes. It doesn't matter how many things you write downor how arbitrary it may seem, just make that list, make copies and keep them wherever you will see them daily. 

Motivation has to come frm within you. I can give you the tools, but you have to follow through. 

The first step is to really look at what you eat, why you eat and how much you eat. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% activity. You should be eating lean proteins, tons of produce, and lots of water. If you decide to eat grains, make sure they are whole grains.

Take your weight and divide by 2. This is a general guideline of how many oz of water you should drink daily.

Exercises- There are tons that you can do with kids at home! Many of us in here are SAHM so you are not alone. You can find workouts on youtube.com, On Demand, and Netflix. Some of them incoporate kids into them! You could also invest in a few DVDS as you can find them for $10 or less sometimes. Jumping rope, lunges, squats, pushups, pull ups, situps...all of those are easily done at home.

You can do it!

Let me know if I can help you. I'm in the process of getting my Personal Trainer Certifications, a SAHM, and I've been on my own weight loss journey.  

vboatner
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:19 PM

You are never too far gone as long as you are still here and able to move hun. Back in August of 2011 I was at my all time high of 290. I was in the same mode of thinking and came up with every excuse in the book of why I could not or did not need to lose weight. Until I finally found my motivation one day. I am now 231 and am working on getting to my ultimate goal of 150. It just takes a little time, effort, and major determination, but you can do it!!

Quoting Jazmyn1:

Im in the same boat I want to be thin so bad I was always thin. Breifly my story I was always 115 or less I got pregnant with my daughter when I was 19 WIC told me because I was under weight I needed to eat every couple of hours so I did when I gave birth I was 199 I lost it all afterwards and when I got pregnant with my son I was maybe 150 and when I gave birth I was 258 Ive been up and down since then but at my highest now of 285. I believe a lot of pain and self hate came into me in that time and thats whays caused my weight gain. I wanna lose but feel Im too far gone.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Oh honey..

You can do it!

Owaoma
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Quoting mcginnisc:

Oh honey..

You can do it!

Good one Mama. God help us.

melek77
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:09 AM

I am a coach, my son is 5 years old, special needs.  I know how hard it is to run around with the kids all day and try and make time for yourself.  I am also a stay at home mom.  

I became a coach for several reasons:

1. To tone up and have a healthier lifestyle for myself and my family

2. Becoming a coach motivated me to push myself the hardest I ever have in my life - because I felt responsible for others in my new endeavor. How can I motivate others if I can't motivate myself right?  So it has been a huge step for me and a great one.

3. I truly enjoy working out and I encorporate the business - including workouts with my son.  We do challenges together - you can incorporate your kids in the whole process.  I tell my son that mommy needs help, If he sees me struggling or not pushing hard enough - he yells "go mommy go, you can do it" and things like this.  I make workouts fun - I used ChaLean Extreme first and am now working on Insanity.  My son loves trying to do some of the workouts we make it into a game.  

With nutrition, I still drink Shakeology Vegan (my son likes it too lol) I keep my food diary and have worked nutrition into our homeschooling - healthy eating, how we feel when we don't eat right vs when we do and we figure out recipes together.  You can truly incorporate your kids into a total lifestyle change for your whole family.

I know first hand how hard it is - a few years ago I was in the same predicament I felt overwhelmed, unmotivated and unable to do what I knew I wanted to do for myself and for my family.  

Incorporating your kids will make it fun.  Turn it into a game; exercising and nutrition - it will benefit you and your family.

I hope some of my advice is helpful to you.

I hope that you will be able reach your goal soon.

Angelina

mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:00 AM

Quoting Jazmyn1:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Oh honey..

You can do it!

Why thin? Why not just healthy? You can be healthy at 120 lbs ro even 130 lbs.. you don't have to be 110 lbs to be healthy. 

You are NEVER too far gone sweetheart. I want you to also sit down and write out why you want to lose weight and be healthy. It does not matter what reason pops into your head, just write it on a list and keep that list handy so that you see it all the time. This can really help you stay on track in the beginning...and think how great it will be when you run across that list once you hit your goal! 

The next step is to analyze what you eat and how much you eat. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% movement. You should concentrate on lean proteins, tons of produce, whole grains ( if you choose to eat them, dairy ( if you choose to eat it), and tons of water. The general guideline for water is to take your weight and divide by 2. This is how many oz you should drink daily. 

If you want to count calories, I can calculate your BMR for you so you know how many you should be consuming everyday. I would need your age, height, weight and the number of days per week you workout. 

Exercise: Start small and build up. It is best to incorporate cardio, strength training and core/flexibility work every week. By doing strength training, you will build more lean muscle mass which will in turn allow your body to burn more calories at rest. This means you will burn more calories during other workouts as well. 

The most important part of weight loss is this: Love yourself and believe in yourself. You CAN do this!!! I believe in you, now, you have to make the decision that you are worth it and go for it! 

mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

After I say the suggestion on here, I tried, but I couldn't figure it out. Except for the fact that I want my diabetes under control and so I won't die young.

Quoting musicpisces:

Have you thought about writing stuff out now, while you ARE motivated?  Write out why you're motivated, what's got that fire lit under your butt, what's working for you.  Write out how it feels to feel this way, how it feels to make good choices, to eat properly and exercise.  How it feels to put in the work, and whether it's worth it!  It can be a good reminder and put you back in this place when you're needing a little kick in the pants.  =)

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

Thank you for your suggestions and the links in your other post. I've been exercising for the past couple days and using mydailytracker, which I really love. It's an awesome site. Right now I'm really motivated, but I don't know if it'll last. I'm making the most of it at the moment though.

Quoting musicpisces:

Claire is spot-on.  I know I had to hit rock bottom to get serious.  I knew for a long time I needed to lose weight, even know what I had to do, realistically.  I had a thousand excuses (or "reasons", in my head) why I "couldn't" do it.  Then my rock bottom happened, and I got pissed off enough to get serious.

I agree that writing things out is a great way to go.  Write down all the reasons why you want to lose weight (only the ones that motivate you- if the diabetes doesn't motivate you, don't write it down).  Then write down all of your excuses and how you'll bust them.  Keep it realistic for YOUR life.

Honestly, though, you don't sound like you're in "that place" yet.  Once you have it in your head that you're serious, nothing can stop you, but only YOU can find that place.  I hope you find it soon, because diabetes is really scary, and I'm sure your kids would love to have you around and healthy!  =)  More and more research is showing the benefits of exercise on insulin and glucose levels, too, just FYI.

Good luck!!

Quoting mcginnisc:

Oh honey..

You can do it!

The list does not have to be long.. You have 2 items that you want to accomplish.. #1 is easy and #2 will come in time( once you are healthy it will no longer be a possibility, right?). You can add things over time like fitness goals ( walking a 5K, running a 5K, doing 50 full situps, 50 burpees....), or a goal size, or a goal weight...it is completely up to you as you tailor the list to suit you. 

Don't give up! We are here for you. You have to believe in yourself and love yourself. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

ambermario4ever
by Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I got an exersise bike to ride at home. I have to kids as well. My oldest is at school during the day but my youngest is always with. Walks are hard with small children so that's why I got the bike. I can ride it and spend time with my son at the same time. I can read him stories or do flash cards or a learning activity while I ride. 

rockinmomto2
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I know how you feel. I've been yo yoing for a couple of years now, and I can't seem to get or stay motivated. Maybe because it seems like everyone else has it so easy and I just don't. It's incredibly difficult for me to lose weight...it's just how my body is. It sucks. What sucks more, though, is that my dad died way too young and without ever meeting my kids. He died at 63 from congestive heart failure, which was complicated by his diabetes and his weight. That is MY potential fate as well. Then there is my mom who is 58 and doesn't look a day over 45. She's in fantastic shape and weighs almost 100 lbs less than me. 

What you need to do is understand that losing weight is hard. Changing your entire lifestyle is hard. Making sure that you eat well and move your body every day is HARD. It's going to suck. There will be more days in the beginning where you don't want to do it than days where you do. You're going to want to give up. My advice? Set a goal for yourself, and make it a small goal like adding more berries to your daily food. Replace a mid morning snack with some berries and honey. Just that. After a week, see how you feel. I personally have to make sure that I have quick healthy food in the house so I don't go all out on the chocolate and candy. I buy premade salads from BJs and I have that plus soup for lunch. 

Most of all, though, you have to make the changes a habit. If you do something for 21 days in a row, it becomes habit. So try making a goal of changing something specific for 21 days. I'm here if you have trouble or want to chat or anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN