Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Heart rate is always so high when working out

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM
  • 13 Replies

I got a Polar FT4 to help me get a more accurate reading of my workouts.  I love the idea that the numbers are more precise, but I seem to constantly go over the suggested heart rate.  Does anyone else have this problem?  

I don't think I am over doing it by any means, and it seems to go over the range fairly quickly.  Do you think its accurate? Or maybe it just needs to be recalibrated?  Or maybe I just exercise like a 27 yr old?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kristy95
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Is your resting heart rate high?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaJessx3
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:00 PM
What is your average heart rate?
MamaJessx3
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM
I should clarify..:while working out. And what kind of workouts are u doing?

Quoting MamaJessx3:

What is your average heart rate?
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:02 PM

What is the suggested HR?  It might be trying to keep you in the mythological "fat burning zone", which is low.  My HR while running is usually between 155-165, for example, and I'm 32.  For spin classes, hill sprints or speedwork it can get in the high 170s.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

MamaJessx3
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:04 PM
I agree. My hr running is between 155-170 depending on the weather. At crossfit it's usually between 170-190

Quoting musicpisces:

What is the suggested HR?  It might be trying to keep you in the mythological "fat burning zone", which is low.  My HR while running is usually between 155-165, for example, and I'm 32.  For spin classes, hill sprints or speedwork it can get in the high 170s.

Kimmer331
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:17 PM

My resting, not totally sure, I don't think it runs extremely high.  I know I have low blood pressure lately, so don't know if that has anything to do with it.  I'm not feeling winded or like something is going to happen.  I'm glad to see others experiencing the same thing.

I know my zone limits on the watch are 119-156.  I am  37, 5ft 3 and 150 lbs.  It goes up usually to 165 or so, so of course the watch is always telling me I am over.

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I have an FT4 and mine goes over the suggested range all the time.  I decided not to care about it. We all have different HRs. I do think it might mean that the HR over-estimates my calorie burns but I'm not sure because I haven't had any issues with weight loss and I go by the calories it says :)

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:31 PM

See if you can change the settings.  I know my old Timex was set up where you could change the ranges.  It annoyed the hell out of me when it would beep!!  LOL  Throw off my mojo during my workouts!

Quoting Kimmer331:

My resting, not totally sure, I don't think it runs extremely high.  I know I have low blood pressure lately, so don't know if that has anything to do with it.  I'm not feeling winded or like something is going to happen.  I'm glad to see others experiencing the same thing.

I know my zone limits on the watch are 119-156.  I am  37, 5ft 3 and 150 lbs.  It goes up usually to 165 or so, so of course the watch is always telling me I am over.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

MamaJessx3
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:34 PM
You can turn off the beeping where it tells you you're over. That's what I did because I know I go over what it suggests for my entire workout basically.
Kimmer331
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I did turn off the beeping because of that reason.  Glad to know its not just me that this is happening too.  I will see if I can adjust the HR and set a higher range.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)