Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

5:2 fasting diet

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:18 AM
  • 27 Replies

Poll

Question: Does the 5:2 fasting diet work for you?

Options:

yes?

no?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 8

View Results

I have been interested in fasting (from both a religious and weight loss viewpoint) for a long time.

Following a TV science program in the UK, the 5;2 Intermittent fasting diet is taking the country by storm - partly due to the weight loss aspect but also the claimed health and life extension benefits.

Amazon have a number of publications, including one from the presenter of the TV program, Michael Mosley.  My current favorite is'The No Nonsesnse Guide to 5:2 fasting diets - nice n simple.

I have been on this particular fasting diet for over 3 months now and have never felt better.

How are other moms getting on with this?

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kassrk
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM
I've never heard of it I guess, how does it work?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Fasting like this works superbly well for men.  For some women, it works well also.  But some women experience siginificant hormonal disruption, fatigue, and physical symptoms such as brittle nails, lackluster hair, and skin problems that outweigh any positive effects from fasting regularly.

fionafi53
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:31 AM

eema - not sure where you got those downsides for women from ... fasting is THE diet in the UK at the moment ... and there is no apparent downside for women noted.

Kasrk ... there are lots of ebooks (and paper) on Amazon at the moment - my fav is 'The No Nonsense Guide' its cheap and simple!) ... but many others available

xx

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:11 AM
3 moms liked this

Personally, I'm only a fan of fasting when it's done for spiritual reasons only.  If the Lord is calling you to fast for a reason, then listen and follow, otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.  That's just me though:)

haileys_mommy06
by Jenn on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:18 AM
I'm not into fasting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fionafi53
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Thanks all - in fact I got into fasting for religious reasons many years ago - but the recent data on health benefits, weight loss and longevity just boosted my interest! Wiki (and as an appendix in The No Nonsense Guide) has quite an interesting article on the historical and religious aspects of fasting.

In the 5:2 fasting diet you only restrict (not a total fast) on 2 days in 7 in order to get all the benefits

buffy2012
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Do you have to fast two days in a row, or can  you split it up?

emelymac
by Emely on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I can't fast because I'd get sick.

eema.gray
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM
2 moms liked this
Look at the wbsite "paleo for women." Lots of material there. Just because something is faddish and taking a country by storm does not make it good or popular. In six months, there will be an "unexplained" dramatic increase in thyroid dysfunction in that country.

Quoting fionafi53:

eema - not sure where you got those downsides for women from ... fasting is THE diet in the UK at the moment ... and there is no apparent downside for women noted.

Kasrk ... there are lots of ebooks (and paper) on Amazon at the moment - my fav is 'The No Nonsense Guide' its cheap and simple!) ... but many others available

xx

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM
2 moms liked this
I think many of us can appreciate the "magic" and "fabulousness" of such fad diets!
*head desk*

Quoting eema.gray:

Look at the wbsite "paleo for women." Lots of material there. Just because something is faddish and taking a country by storm does not make it good or popular. In six months, there will be an "unexplained" dramatic increase in thyroid dysfunction in that country.

Quoting fionafi53:

xx

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)