Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Trouble with eating enough/often

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:38 PM
  • 12 Replies
So I have a very hard time eating enough between work and life at home. I work from 1pm-11:30pm. I eat breakfast around 10:45-11 (I wake up a little later because I go to bed around 2:30). Lunch is VERY varied. Sometimes I'll get my lunch break at 3pm (like today) or 7pm (like the other day). Plus I may only get that one break (hour long lunch, combining both breaks and lunch in one). Otherwise I'm scrubbed into a room all day with no breaks. I work out right when I get home (insanity) and have a protein drink afterwards. I wish I could eat more often like the insanity diet suggests. I need to eat 1850 calories a day to loose 2 lbs a week and I'm having trouble doing that. At least with healthy food and the way I want to.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM
What about something you can shove down really quickly, like a bar or something?
When you say scrubbed in, I'm thinking sterile surgical procedure. Is that what you mean?
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Yes, sometimes that isn't possible. Especially for long cases. Just now though I was able to grab an odwalla bar and string cheese from downstairs. We only have one case going right now so she let me get something since I had to have lunch 2 hours into my 10 hour shift...

Quoting musicpisces:

What about something you can shove down really quickly, like a bar or something?

When you say scrubbed in, I'm thinking sterile surgical procedure. Is that what you mean?
cntrdmom
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:38 PM
You may need to look into protein shakes, or smoothies for at work. Try taking a whole foods approach with some added protein to give your body lots of nutrients and something to work on for hours. And plan to eat right before work and immediately after. I've started doing a lot of salads in a jar. They take a while to eat but when I'm home it's already prepped and I can eat on it for a while. Try to have about 1 maybe 2 days a week dedicated to prepping foods. And research how to store them to keep them safe and tastey. Cut, slice, dice, and cook everything you can. I'm working on steel cut oats in a crock pot. Lots of health benefits and making the cooking easier and turning it into a convenience food. That may be a great breakfast choice for you. It takes a while to digest. Hope that helps.
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Yeah, I had to shove down a Clif bar before a total knee last week.  Luckily it's not a crazy long surgery, but I'm used to eating every 2.5-3 hours, so I was definitely ready to eat by the time it was over!!  Are you a scrub nurse?

Quoting armygirl16:

Yes, sometimes that isn't possible. Especially for long cases. Just now though I was able to grab an odwalla bar and string cheese from downstairs. We only have one case going right now so she let me get something since I had to have lunch 2 hours into my 10 hour shift...

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:39 PM

When you're scrubbed in, it's not a matter of being able to prep stuff, it's that you're literally not able to get out and get food.  Scrubbing in is a big procedure.  All you can really do is shove in what you can right before, and eat again right after.

Quoting cntrdmom:

You may need to look into protein shakes, or smoothies for at work. Try taking a whole foods approach with some added protein to give your body lots of nutrients and something to work on for hours. And plan to eat right before work and immediately after. I've started doing a lot of salads in a jar. They take a while to eat but when I'm home it's already prepped and I can eat on it for a while. Try to have about 1 maybe 2 days a week dedicated to prepping foods. And research how to store them to keep them safe and tastey. Cut, slice, dice, and cook everything you can. I'm working on steel cut oats in a crock pot. Lots of health benefits and making the cooking easier and turning it into a convenience food. That may be a great breakfast choice for you. It takes a while to digest. Hope that helps.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

heninger09
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:47 PM
I never have time to eat breakfast nor lunch So i buy the bolt house smoothies and drink them at work when i dont have time to eat. Lots of nutrients. They have allllll kinds of flavors and very yummy!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cntrdmom
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:59 PM
I understand that. What I'm saying is when you have the chance to eat have something prepped that has a lot of protein to last through the hours you can't eat. Do tons of prepping so that when you can eat you can focus on eating and gettig the nutrition you need. A shake in addition to some solid foods during your break would give you a few extra calories and nutrition. And be easy for your body to absorb. Does that make more sense?

Then for at home have quick and easy stuff, and prepped foods because you'll be hungry from not eating most of the day. And I'm assuming life at home gets busy with a 10hr shift? I work 12hr shifts so that's why I threw in some of my at home ideas. Foods like oatmeal would be good right before work or even during your one break because it will last a while in your body and it's packed full of long lasting nutrients. But go with minimally processed so your body gets more out of it.

My job has similar requirements of me. In my 12 hour shifts I sometimes int get 1 break for about 10-15min. Other days it's better. I always go to work with lots of food. Some quick and easy to eat. Some take longer to eat. But I try to keep the focus on nutrient dense foods, high protein at work, most f my carbs and calories right before work. And all prepping done in advanced. Because when you're starving and nothings ready you end up eating crap food more easily. That's why I consider it so important in addition to the other stuff I mentioned.

Quoting musicpisces:

When you're scrubbed in, it's not a matter of being able to prep stuff, it's that you're literally not able to get out and get food.  Scrubbing in is a big procedure.  All you can really do is shove in what you can right before, and eat again right after.

Quoting cntrdmom:

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:14 AM
I am a scrub tech :). I don't know how it works at your hospital but here the techs get 1 break in the shift (nurses get the standard 2 breaks and a lunch). The techs break is combined to allow for less changes of staff during surgery.
Tonight is slow though. One if the surgeons brought in pizza because he had a couple add ons. I had one slice and I still have about 570 calories left for the day.

Quoting musicpisces:

Yeah, I had to shove down a Clif bar before a total knee last week.  Luckily it's not a crazy long surgery, but I'm used to eating every 2.5-3 hours, so I was definitely ready to eat by the time it was over!!  Are you a scrub nurse?

Quoting armygirl16:

Quoting musicpisces:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:16 AM
Ah, ok! I'm in nursing school right now, in clinicals, so I'm all over the place, and not sure how breaks work for longer surgeries. For the TKR, the nurse was in there for probably 6 hours, between prep and actual surgery, without a break and scrubbed in. I'm thinking I don't care to be a scrub nurse!! LOL It was actually really interesting, but I'm planning on becoming a certified nurse-midwife.
Are you in the Army, or is your SO? I am a former Navy corpsman. I thought about going to surgical tech C-school, but didn't do it.

Quoting armygirl16:

I am a scrub tech :). I don't know how it works at your hospital but here the techs get 1 break in the shift (nurses get the standard 2 breaks and a lunch). The techs break is combined to allow for less changes of staff during surgery.

Tonight is slow though. One if the surgeons brought in pizza because he had a couple add ons. I had one slice and I still have about 570 calories left for the day.

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting armygirl16:

Quoting musicpisces:

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I was in the army but am no longer in. My husband just enlisted though and leaves Monday for basic training followed by AIT.
That is what prompted my weight loss/lifestyle change kick. I have 7 months without his pickiness to loose about 30lbs and learn to eat heathy:clean. I want to look good when he gets done ;)

Quoting musicpisces:

Ah, ok! I'm in nursing school right now, in clinicals, so I'm all over the place, and not sure how breaks work for longer surgeries. For the TKR, the nurse was in there for probably 6 hours, between prep and actual surgery, without a break and scrubbed in. I'm thinking I don't care to be a scrub nurse!! LOL It was actually really interesting, but I'm planning on becoming a certified nurse-midwife.

Are you in the Army, or is your SO? I am a former Navy corpsman. I thought about going to surgical tech C-school, but didn't do it.

Quoting armygirl16:

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting armygirl16:

Quoting musicpisces:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN