Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

I need some help

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:01 PM
  • 3 Replies

I am 27 years old and have a 3 year old and an 8 month old. My weight before my first pregnancy was 118. Before my second baby I weighed 127. I am now about 135. I am short, only 5'1" so that makes my BMI around 25. Both of my parents have always struggled with weight issues and I really want to get fit and healthy now before it gets worse. To be in a healthy spot, I need to lose about 10-15 lbs.

The problem is I am hungry ALL the time and I always want junk. I am living with my in-laws right now so I can't completely control what foods are in the house. My MIL is always making baked treats and I have no self-control! She also prepares most of the meals and they are usually not very healthy. 

So, how can I suppress my appetite a bit and stop the sugar cravings? Also, how can I make my own meals without offending my MIL? I am the smallest one in the house so they don't think I need to worry about weight, but they don't realize I want to take care of it before it gets to that point.

Any tips and advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
MrsJoe125
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I understand EXACTLY where you're coming from.  I was "the skinny one" at my in-law's house (even when I was 9 mos pregnant).  They were offended when I talked about wanting to lose weight and fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes, etc.

What you can do is to eat fresh fruits and veggies and try to avoid animal products.  Make your own b-fast, lunch, and snacks and eat small portions at dinner.

I understand the sugar cravings, but if you eat the fruits and veggies, you won't crave the carbs of the baked goods after a fairly short time (it only took me a few days, I guess it takes some people a week or so).

If she offers you baked goods or this meal or that meal, then thank her and very kindly remind her how much you enjoy the things she makes, but let her know that you're trying to get healthy and you just don't feel as well as you want to, that you want to have more energy to take care of your LOs.

Also, getting active will help.  Play outside with your kids, dance inside with them, walk before or after dinner (that will help to offset some of the calories).

These are the things that have worked for me.  I'm feeling better than I have since I was 20!!! (before I started having kids)

princess_peach
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Thanks for the advice! I guess it's all pretty much common sense, but it helps to have the encouragement from others! I decided to make a weekly menu for breakfast, lunch, and snacks. That way I always have healthy foods around and I know what I can have when I'm feeling snacky. Thanks again!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamaof3forlife
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:26 PM
And don't forget to drink water! Sometimes our bodies confuse thirst with hunger :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)