Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How much does your weight fluctuate?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:26 AM
  • 12 Replies
Within 24hrs my weight will changes by up to 5lbs. I'd understand 2-4. But in one day I weighe myself like 3 times. When I first got up I was 145. By bedtime I was 150 and I bounced around in between. Then next day 145 again. Am I eating and drinking 5lbs a day? I drink a lot of water but I highly doubt my food weighs that much. Is this normal?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:12 AM

Totally normal mama:)  Your weight can fluctuate up to 8-10 pounds per day...we're all different.  Stick with weighing once per week and it might be easier!

cntrdmom
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:21 AM
Thank you. I normally don't weigh very often actually. I was just trying to get an idea of what my weight actually is. Before recently I didn't even own a scale and had no clue what my weight was unless I had been to the doctor.

That information helps a lot. I didn't know it could fluctuate so much. Back to weighing only every so often.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Totally normal mama:)  Your weight can fluctuate up to 8-10 pounds per day...we're all different.  Stick with weighing once per week and it might be easier!

abstractmommy
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:22 AM
1 mom liked this
It's been as much as 12 pounds. I thought my scale was broken!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Okay, for one, don't weight yourself several times a day.  You're taking stuff in, putting stuff out, it's totally normal to fluctuate throughout the day, and that's unreliable fluctuation.

The best way to weight yourself is first thing in the morning, right after you use the restroom, naked, before you eat or drink anything.

Even then, my weight can fluctuate by up to 8 lbs from one day to the next. 

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:31 PM

mine seems to go 2-5 lbs-it was making me crazy so...

I have started waiting at least a whole week between checking and usually, I shoot for a bit longr (closer to 2 weeks)

EricaG87
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I have heard that you should weigh yourself only once a day in the morning , before you eat, to get an accurate idea of how much you're losing and to minimize the fluctuation. That's what I do and my weight doesn't really fluctuate much at all.

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I know mine does a lot so I stay away from the scale.

yayay15
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:24 PM
When I get bloated it goes up about 4 or 5 lbs. it's annoying!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
johnny4ever
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM

If I weigh myself in morning it is more accurate

cherylmoore
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM
I weigh every morning first thing after I go potty and no clothes on. It varies by about 2 pounds from one day to the next but if I weigh later in the day it can be 4 or 5 pounds more
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)