Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Weight Loss Goal-Please be honest

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:00 AM
  • 13 Replies

Okay, I need to lose weight, but I don't know how much I should lose...like what my goal weight should be. The normal scales say for my height (5ft) I should be about 119 but when I was that small before, I honestly thought I looked sickly.

I felt, when this was taken, that I could stand to lose 20 pounds at most...what do you ladies say? Did that size look good on me (with a few more pounds to lose) or should I be looking to lose a lot more than that?

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armyvet06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:02 AM
How much do you weight right now?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RandiBear
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:07 AM

250...I was 185 in that picture

cherylmoore
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:13 AM
You have to decide for yourself. I'm 5'2 and all the charts say I should be around 120 125. But the last time I remember feeling comfortable with my body I was about 160 165 so that's my goal. Once I get to that goal then I will decide if I want to go lower or not
RandiBear
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:22 AM

See, that's the problem. I am a former bulimic...I have an unrealistic view of my body. When I was 119 pounds I thought my body looked horrible because I have a slightly broader frame thanks to my Italian and German heritage. When I was 150 I liked the way my body LOOKED but the number on the scale sent me into a tailspin and I dropped down under 100. Then I had an issue getting my medication (thyroid issues as well as other things) and gained a LOT of weight and then just as I was getting that back under control I got preg (yea, I was told I COULDN'T...then hello...lol) and went from 185 to 220. In the three years since my son was born I have struggled to get my thyroid levels right and with sudden partial kidney failure, which caused me to go up to 275. Now I'm down to 250 but I don't know what actually looks GOOD because of my distorted view. lol I'm a mess, I know. I'm just trying to get other people's opinions on what size looks good on my frame so I can compare pictures of MYSELF as I lose weight, instead of looking at what looks good on somebody else's frame. KWIM?

Quoting cherylmoore:

You have to decide for yourself. I'm 5'2 and all the charts say I should be around 120 125. But the last time I remember feeling comfortable with my body I was about 160 165 so that's my goal. Once I get to that goal then I will decide if I want to go lower or not

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:28 AM
From looking at your whole body in that second pic (face, arms, stomach....can't really see your legs). I would said at least 30 lbs more. But you say you're 185 and only 5ft in that pic? I would recommend shooting for at least 150. I'm currently 145 and 5'5.5" and I still have a good 5-10 lbs to lose. I'm replacing fat with muscle now so I won't go down too much more but I definitely still have fat to get rid of.
RandiBear
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Thank you. That's about what I was thinking looked healthy. I really appreciate it. =) I'm setting my goal weight at 150.

Quoting MamaJessx3:

From looking at your whole body in that second pic (face, arms, stomach....can't really see your legs). I would said at least 30 lbs more. But you say you're 185 and only 5ft in that pic? I would recommend shooting for at least 150. I'm currently 145 and 5'5.5" and I still have a good 5-10 lbs to lose. I'm replacing fat with muscle now so I won't go down too much more but I definitely still have fat to get rid of.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I agree here.  You have to decide for yourself what YOU want and how you feel comfortable.  I'm 5'5 and right around 170...mixture of muscle and fat:)  I'm working towards getting down to 140...been hard but I WILL get there:)

Quoting MamaJessx3:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I agree, I'd aim for about 150 for now.  You can always reassess from there!  I had an initial goal and an ultimate goal.  Nothing says your goal has to be set in stone.  But like you, I would look emaciated at a "healthy" weight according to the charts.  I have a very muscular build.  People can never believe I weigh as much as I do.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

EricaG87
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I think that you could drop about 55 or 60 lbs from that picture and look great. You say that you are 5' and 185 in that pic? I think that you would look really great at about 125 or 130.  So being that you are 250 right now I would say about a 120-125 loss would put you at what *I* think is the weight you would look greatest at.  With that said, I definitely think you should set smaller goals and celebrate every time you meet one of those.  And if you feel healthy and happy at a weight that's higher than your initial goal then you should stay there.  And also remember that everybody has a different idea of what looks and feels good to them, so this is just my opinion.  I, myself, am 5'4" and 145lbs and I still have 23 lbs to lose before I will be at a weight that I feel great at.  But I know there are a lot of women who would feel great at my weight and height. 

CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:39 PM

It does not matter what we think, it matters what you think.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN