Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Gain???

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM
  • 13 Replies
Since mid December I have not changed my activity level. I excercise 3 times a week. I have made healthier food choices and beeen more aware of my portions. My son hasn't been nursing less. So... why have I gained 14 lbs in just 2 months. This seems excessive. I know I need to do more but I'm wondering if I should talk to my doctor about other this too. I'm not an unhealthy person. I'm 5'4 and went from 137 to 151. Most of it in the past 3 weeks. I'm concerned especially since I seem to have almost constant headaches.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I would definitely talk to your doctor.  Also keep a written food journal, along with notes about how you are feeling throughout the day.  Document your activities and everything you take in, including beverages.  Note when your little one nurses, too- all of these things can affect your weight, but that's a significant gain in a short time, and that's not normal.  Any other changes in your life in the last few weeks?  Increased stress?

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

GoldenLinds
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Well I hadn't been exercising as much for 3 weeks between a sprained ankle and then a dislocated rib but this was going on before thn and I've been back to routine for a week and still have put on that last 3 lbs. I think I am going to have some blood work done. :/ I guess what bugs me the most is that I won't be able to take meds unless I wean my son and I don't want to gain more but I don't want to quit nursing either.
mommynewc
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Check your vitamin d levels. That's what happened to me it really messed me up.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Hugs mama!  I agree with Suzanne.  Talk with your doctor!

GoldenLinds
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Really? Isn't that the vitamin you get from sunlight?

Quoting mommynewc:

mommynewc
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:18 PM
Yep. I had head aches, fatigue, body aches, anxiety, weight gain and it slowed down my thyroid. I really thought I was losing my mind and my doc did every test under the sun and turned out I am deficient. I started feeling bad at the end of August after spending the whole summer swimming in the pool. I really find it unbelievable that it happened.
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:20 PM

You get it from the sun (the sun converts a precursor version already in the blood), but most of us don't get enough of it in the winter.  The sun isn't strong enough in most of the US to convert the vitamin D, so a supplement may help.  Any nutrient deficiencies can slow your metabolism down and make you gain weight.  Blood tests can help you determine your levels (and February is actually the ideal time to get your vitamin D tested).  There are more and more studies showing that taking 1000IUs of vitamin D is very beneficial.

If you were injured a few weeks ago, did you lower your calorie intake to make up for the fact that you're exercising less?  That can make a big difference.

Quoting GoldenLinds:

Quoting mommynewc:

Suzanne

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Also, taking vitamins is safe while nursing.  Your vitamin levels can really get depleted between pregnancy and nursing.  Are you still taking a prenatal vitamin?  You should be!  =)

Suzanne

GoldenLinds
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Right after I sprained my ankle I did get really serious about eating better. I'm definitely leaning towards seeing my doctor.

Quoting musicpisces:

You get it from the sun (the sun converts a precursor version already in the blood), but most of us don't get enough of it in the winter.  The sun isn't strong enough in most of the US to convert the vitamin D, so a supplement may help.  Any nutrient deficiencies can slow your metabolism down and make you gain weight.  Blood tests can help you determine your levels (and February is actually the ideal time to get your vitamin D tested).  There are more and more studies showing that taking 1000IUs of vitamin D is very beneficial.

If you were injured a few weeks ago, did you lower your calorie intake to make up for the fact that you're exercising less?  That can make a big difference.

Quoting GoldenLinds:

Quoting mommynewc:

GoldenLinds
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:27 PM
I've never been able to take any kind of multivitamins so I have to supplement as I can. I take iron around n y period. I take vitamin c twice a week. That sort of thing. Multivitamins always give me a migraine after a week or so. Takes ages for the effects to filter out of my system. I have no problem doing supplements as needed. I know I need to boost my magnesium levels too from all the leg cramps I've been getting.

Quoting musicpisces:

Also, taking vitamins is safe while nursing.  Your vitamin levels can really get depleted between pregnancy and nursing.  Are you still taking a prenatal vitamin?  You should be!  =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)