Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Treadmill or elliptical?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM
  • 13 Replies

Poll

Question: Which would you prefer?

Options:

Treadmill

Elliptical

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 21

View Results

I am looking into purchasing a treadmill or elliptical, but would like ideas on which would be best.  The elliptical I'm looking at has a seat on it so it can be used as a bike as well.  I have only used an elliptical a few times.  I love walking (outside, but its been too cold to take my son out and then during the summer it gets too hot.)  I love to take my son on bike rides with him on the seat behind me but again weather is not always permitting.  And the gym here is very expensive especially if paying for them to watch my son so I would rather not go that route. 

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barb10
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I had a treadmill and I got so bored,I gave it away.I got a Proform Eliptical and get on it everyday and watch something on tv for 45 min.I have toned up but havent lost much only because I havent really changed my diet enough but my clothes fit better.

LveMy2K1dS
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:34 PM

HAve you ever considered spending the money on a home fitness program instead? Something like P90X or TurboJam, etc? They come with a meal plan and everything and the workouts switch things up everyday so you are not constantly doing the same thing everyday which gets old and also becomes ineffective. If you want to talk more about it let me know! :)

If you want to get fit and lose weight with me check out my page!! I will help motivate you every step of the way!!  

BelindaDuvessa
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I like both, but I prefer the elliptical.  My husband and I have knee issues and I also have hip issues, so the low impact is prefered.  Both have resistence options for a more intense workout.  The treadmill inclines, though.  It's really up to your personal preference.  I do like the elliptical having the seat.  That gives you another option in case something happens and you can't stand.

Emmakins84
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:01 AM
The elliptical has worked better for me. I get bored on the treadmill.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:06 AM

It's really a personal preference...which would get more use is the way to look at it... 

For me, I'm a runner as is DH so we of course have a treadmill. We both use it and that poor thing has thousands of miles on it. LOL ...I am not a fan of the elliptical so I would never purchase one. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

armygirl16
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:43 AM

I would prefer an ellipical. This is mostly because I am a runner (well, was I haven't ran in months due to crazyness and now insanity) and I hate running on a treadmill.  I find it incredibly boring.  I even tried watching TV while on the treadmill, reading a magazine, listening to music...etc.  I can't get much more past 3 miles without giving up out of sheer boredom.  My typicall outdoor run was an average of 6 miles (range from 4-10 miles) so not even making it 3 was not acceptable to me LOL.  Plus I ran differently on a treadmill and it made my shins hurt a lot.  I would definitly prefer an elliptical for myself, but everyone is different, I know some people really enjoy running on a treadmill.  If you are using it just for walking then it may not bother you as much.  I like to really feel my workouts though so I would still choose an elliptical lol

armygirl16
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:45 AM

I 2nd this :) I would much rather do my insanity workout than to use a treadmill or elliptical.  I plan on buying Insanity Asylum after I finish Insanity then maybe something else fun like "hip hop abs" or TurboJam.  Those programs work fast as well (as long as you are putting effort into it). I love them! 

Quoting LveMy2K1dS:

HAve you ever considered spending the money on a home fitness program instead? Something like P90X or TurboJam, etc? They come with a meal plan and everything and the workouts switch things up everyday so you are not constantly doing the same thing everyday which gets old and also becomes ineffective. If you want to talk more about it let me know! :)

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (car seat tech) Ask me a question!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Yep, I'm with Claire on this one.

Quoting mcginnisc:

It's really a personal preference...which would get more use is the way to look at it... 

For me, I'm a runner as is DH so we of course have a treadmill. We both use it and that poor thing has thousands of miles on it. LOL ...I am not a fan of the elliptical so I would never purchase one. 

puzzled216
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I walk on my treadmill with a treadmill dvd . I also do turbo fire too.

rileysmommy229
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM

same!

Quoting mcginnisc:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)