Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Cleanse/fast to kick start things?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM
  • 30 Replies

I'm kicking around the idea of doing a fruits and veggies fast for a week, maybe more to re-jump start things for me. I don't have a juicer and dont want to buy one, otherwise I'd do a juice fast. I might add in some protein powder once a day.  Just wanted some thoughts or ideas. 

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mich.el.le
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Oh, if someone has any good, less processed protein powders too, that would be great!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd really advise against it.  Your body requires a variety of nutrients, vitamins and minerals, and you can quickly develop deficiencies that can slow you down by doing things that way.  You'd be better off cutting out all processed foods and sugars by cleaning up your diet.  You need healthy carbs, lean proteins, and healthy fats from a variety of sources.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Quoting musicpisces:

I'd really advise against it.  Your body requires a variety of nutrients, vitamins and minerals, and you can quickly develop deficiencies that can slow you down by doing things that way.  You'd be better off cutting out all processed foods and sugars by cleaning up your diet.  You need healthy carbs, lean proteins, and healthy fats from a variety of sources.

We already eat clean, except the occasional pizza or something. If I'm doing fruits and veggies, I shouldn't develop any deficiencies, especially if I add in a little protein powder here and there.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting musicpisces:

We already eat clean, except the occasional pizza or something. If I'm doing fruits and veggies, I shouldn't develop any deficiencies, especially if I add in a little protein powder here and there.

Fruits and veggies cannot meet ALL of your nutrient demands, even with protein powder.

Why do you think you need to jumpstart things, if I may ask?

Suzanne

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting musicpisces:

Fruits and veggies cannot meet ALL of your nutrient demands, even with protein powder.

There isn't much they won't provide, especially if I only do it a week.

I have an extremely difficult time losing weight. And for the last week and a half, we have been eating a lot of meat. We don't eat much meat and don't believe that it's healthy to.

Mya62412
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Have you tried the candida diet? Eat a lot of veggies and drink cleaning drinks once or twice a day. The cleaning drink is one Tablespoon metamucil , one tablespoon of bentonite clay and one tall glass of water.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mich.el.le
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Quoting Mya62412:

Have you tried the candida diet? Eat a lot of veggies and drink cleaning drinks once or twice a day. The cleaning drink is one Tablespoon metamucil , one tablespoon of bentonite clay and one tall glass of water.

I've never heard of it. I don't know that I could do just veggies. lol I also have to be careful with what I take since I'm nursing (he's older).

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting musicpisces:

There isn't much they won't provide, especially if I only do it a week.

I have an extremely difficult time losing weight. And for the last week and a half, we have been eating a lot of meat. We don't eat much meat and don't believe that it's healthy to.

The problem is that it only takes a few days to screetch your metabolism to a halt when you do something drastic.  You may find that over the long term, it makes things more difficult for you.  You may lose some weight that week, maybe even the week after, but soon, you'll find it even harder than before.

Losing weight is really tough.  Have you tracked your foods?  Have you measured your portions?  I thought I was doing everything right, and couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing weight.  Then I started tracking, and realized my portions were huge.  I was eating too much of the healthy stuff. 

Too much meat is definitely not good, but you don't have to go from one extreme to another with it.  Just cut back to small portions.  4 oz is more than enough for one portion (and really, for the day, because you get protein from other foods as well).  We do at least 2 meatless dinners per week, with fish 1-2 times a week, and red meat maybe once a week (I need it, even though I'm not a fan, because of iron deficiency anemia).

Suzanne

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Using a laxative isn't exactly the healthy route.

Quoting Mya62412:

Suzanne

Mya62412
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Lol the diet isn't just veggies you can have all kinds of things you just avoid sugars and molds. Hmmm I don't know if you can take bentonite while nursing :-/ good luck to you I hope you can find a cleanse that works for you. The candida cleanse worked great for me, I lost 11 pounds so far.

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting Mya62412:

I've never heard of it. I don't know that I could do just veggies. lol I also have to be careful with what I take since I'm nursing (he's older).

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN