Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

not sure where to start

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM
  • 2 Replies
Being this is new, how do I know where to start? I'm a 38 year old married, mom of three teens, 19, 17 & 14. I wanna b healthier. I wanna do some major weight lose for me. The kids are all old enough to do did themselves, mostly. Now it's time to do for me. Where to start???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
JoanB1117
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Find a type of excercise that you love doing. If you don't enjoy doing it, you'll eventually quit. I do yoga! It's excercise, relaxation and stress relief all in one! Start drinking more water and watch what you eat. I use my fitness pal to track everything I eat and it seems very popular on here too! Good luck!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Welcome!

My best advice is to make a few changes at a time, keeping things manageable.  Trying to do a 180 overnight is generally a recipe for disaster.  It gets overwhelming, it feels like you're being deprived, and you can run yourself into the ground.

Weight loss is 80% food intake, 10% exercise and 10% genetics.  So I generally recommend starting with the food.  Find a way to eat that speaks to you.  Something you can see yourself doing for the next 70 years.  Try to stay away from elimination diets (ones that cut out entire food groups), very low calorie diets, meal replacements or pills.  You should be eating real food that you LIKE!  It takes some time, patience, and gaining experience to find your way, and you WILL slip up along the way, but you're human, and it happens.  It's part of the process, so just pick back up where you left off and keep moving forward.

I have a few journals that might give you some guidance:

Clean eating

What's working for me

Weight loss tips

Resources

Good luck, mama!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)