Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Ground beef?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:57 PM
  • 14 Replies

We have tons of it in our freezer and I can't throw it out!  

I realize that ground beef isn't the healthiest choice for weight loss, however, my best friend is a beef farmer, and we bought a heifer from her and had it butchered last spring, and we still have at least 50 lbs of ground beef in our freezer.  We have to eat it, I will not have it go to waste and we can't afford to give it away.  

So, anyone have any idea of how I can prepare healthy, low-fat (well, as much as possible) meals with ground beef (I'm so tired of spaghetti, meatloaf and burger).  

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:32 PM

One trick with ground beef is to rinse it (once cooked).  It really helps get rid of a lot of the fat. Just put it in a collander to drain over the trash, then rinse it in the sink. 

Was it a grass-fed cow?  If so, a lot of the fat is actually the healthy omega-3 fat.  But if it was grain-fed, that's not the case.

I make this sloppy Joe's recipe (had it last night, actually!) with ground beef (hard to rinse the fat unless you opt to cook the meat separately), and I tweak it some by beefing up (haha) the veggies.  I also tend to use more Worchestershire sauce than the recipe recommends, and I omit the salt.  Then I serve it for myself over half a sprouted wheat bun and eat it with a fork.

I also make crock pot chili.  I LOVE this recipe- super easy!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Silvertears1275
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

This is an AWESOME chili recipe.

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:11 PM
I don't have anything against ground beef besides the bad taste! Lol. Sorry I've never been a beef fan. ;)

I'd google paleo ground beef recipes. I bet there are some healthy ones out there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aprilsalcro
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I still eat hamburger. I check the fat and lean. I think realistically. Its a life style change. Meaning if i was to "dieti" I'd go back to eating hamburger. So for ME I still cook and eat it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:10 AM

Great advice!

Quoting Stefanie83:

I don't have anything against ground beef besides the bad taste! Lol. Sorry I've never been a beef fan. ;)

I'd google paleo ground beef recipes. I bet there are some healthy ones out there!

mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I use it on occasion, but we prefer ground turkey. 

I made meatballs with ground beef last night. The kids didn't like them, but they don't like anything so I don't worry about it too much. Dh loved them! 

Draining it and then rinsing it and patting dry will remove a lot of the fat....although, it is Grass Fed I wouldn't worry too much about the fat as it is healthy fat. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

itsm3
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:54 AM

i love ground beef!  it's an excellent way to get concentrated complete proteins into your body.  is it lean/x-lean or regular?  if it's regular (more fatty), just eat less.  remember that it's all about calories so control your portions when it comes to red meat. you can eat it just don't eat a pound of it, kwim?

taniamorse85
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I made beef-stuffed acorn squash tonight for dinner, and it was a big hit.   I didn't exactly follow the recipe, but mostly because I wanted to limit the sodium and add some extra veggies.   I did not use any of the salt the recipe called for, I drained the fat and rinsed the beef mixture as much as possible, and I added some chopped sweet peppers and mushrooms to the filling.  I would have used brown rice instead of white, but I didn't have any.  I plan on making this again, though, and I will make sure I have the brown rice.  Also, this was the first time any of us had acorn squash, and I think we're hooked!  With all the extra veggies I added, I managed to stretch the meal into 8 servings instead of 4.  I have the rest of the filling in the freezer.

LDavis33
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Thanks for the recipes.  I'll definitely try the sloppy joe one (I haven't had those in forever).

It was grass-fed.  I can really taste the difference, but I had no idea that there was actually a difference in the fat content of grass-fed vs. grain-fed.  Now I have to add that to the benefits of buying my meat locally from people I know.

Quoting musicpisces:

One trick with ground beef is to rinse it (once cooked).  It really helps get rid of a lot of the fat. Just put it in a collander to drain over the trash, then rinse it in the sink. 

Was it a grass-fed cow?  If so, a lot of the fat is actually the healthy omega-3 fat.  But if it was grain-fed, that's not the case.

I make this sloppy Joe's recipe (had it last night, actually!) with ground beef (hard to rinse the fat unless you opt to cook the meat separately), and I tweak it some by beefing up (haha) the veggies.  I also tend to use more Worchestershire sauce than the recipe recommends, and I omit the salt.  Then I serve it for myself over half a sprouted wheat bun and eat it with a fork.

I also make crock pot chili.  I LOVE this recipe- super easy!!

LDavis33
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I did that and found some recipes that look delicious, thanks.

Quoting Stefanie83:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN