Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Am I doing more harm than good?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM
  • 7 Replies

Here is a copy of this mornings activity mangager from my bodymedia band. According to the band, it says I burned 2792 calories. I only ate a little over 1200 calories yesterday, leaving me with almost 1600 calorie deficit. I didn't exercise any outside of walking to get my daughter from school and normal things I do pretty much everyday. Am I shooting my self in the foot by eating so few calories?Normally I consume a little more, but I have been fighting a cold, and nothing sounds or tastes good. And I haven't had a soda in 3 days, which always added 200-400 calories a day. 

TARGET 
ACTUAL

Calories Burned

Calories Consumed

Calorie Balance (defiit)

Physical Activity
0:45

1:25

Steps Taken

Sleep Duration
8:00

7:36 

Current Weight
LBS
FEB 12, 2013
I have lost
LBS
SINCE FEB 6, 2013
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Never have a deficit of more than 1000 calories. It will send your body into a tailspin. In short, yes..you will end up shooting yourself in the foot by having such a large deficit.  

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I don't think it would hurt you in the very short term if you are sick.  But I'd definitely do my best to plan out ahead of time to make sure to get up higher toward a 500-1000 (at the most) calorie deficit.  Maybe the night before plan out what you're going to eat to see if it adds up closer to 2000. And if not, see if you can add in some avocado or nuts or cheese or a couple of bananas or anything :)

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:46 PM

One or two days won't kill you, but your body actually needs more, not less, when you're sick (it requires calories to fight off infection and to heal).  Once you get to 3+ days of this, your metabolism starts to shut down.

I hope you feel better soon!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

LyDuong
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:09 AM
I would recommend taking a 2oz shot of ginger daily until you fight off your cold. Your body needs the extra support in order to get the immune system back up to par. Any Whole Foods with a juice bar will serve ginger / wheat grass shots. Hope this helps.
wahmx3
by Shelley on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I agree with everyone else, you need to more and I honestly think it is the hardest thing for people to understand when losing weight. Your body needs the fuel to work properly, include some healthy fats and you will feel better with more energy. Hope you get over your cold soon.

lovebugs_mom906
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I used to struggle keeping my calorie intake around 1700. But then I cleaned up my diet a bit, and struggle to eat that many calories. 100 calories of carrots fills you up more than 100 calories of French fries.

Quoting wahmx3:

I agree with everyone else, you need to more and I honestly think it is the hardest thing for people to understand when losing weight. Your body needs the fuel to work properly, include some healthy fats and you will feel better with more energy. Hope you get over your cold soon.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM

More than likely, you're not eating enough fat.  I aim for around 1 to 3 T total fat per person, per meal.  Easy way to get calories and feel full without eating 100 calories of raw carrots.  :-)

Quoting lovebugs_mom906:

I used to struggle keeping my calorie intake around 1700. But then I cleaned up my diet a bit, and struggle to eat that many calories. 100 calories of carrots fills you up more than 100 calories of French fries.

Quoting wahmx3:

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)