Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Eating on vacation??

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM
  • 11 Replies
I am booking plane tickets to go back to North Carolina see my inlaws and some old friends but I'm really worried about eating right. We will probably be eating out everyday (inlaws don't cook). It will be dinner time when we arrive so we will be gettin off the plane and meeting inlaws at a resuraunt to eat dinner. 2 of the nights there we will be at a rehearsal dinner and wedding reception (both at a winery) they do steaks. I will be there a total of 5 days and I'm really worried about completely messing up when I am finally gettin on track with my eating. Any advice on how to eat out healthy? I haven't ate out since I started eating right so I don't know what/how to eat out. Will I be ok just keeping portions under control?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Just make healthy choices when ordering at restaurants. Grilled chicken, fish and fresh veggies. Avoid fried food, or anything smothered in sauces. As far as the wedding goes, if you can't control the menu then just control your portion sizes and fill up more on the veggies and stuff rather than the unhealthy stuff. You'll be ok. All these changes you've made are part of a lifestyle and you're going to have to learn how to do it when you're not home..:this is a good little practice :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KME3
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Most places have a health menu with lower calories. I would just order from there. And if not, you can never go wrong with a salad. :) have fun.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
connietrrll
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I would do things you can control. Definitely do not fall for the salad is healthier thing. Because a lot of restaurants have salads that are high calorie salads.

One thing I do because my husband loves to eat out a lot is to eat grilled chicken. You can also eat fish, or poulty of any kind. Which I like anyhow. I ask for just a side salad with onions, tomato, banana peppers, cucumbers, and lettuce. Those are all what my dietician calls free food. (things I can eat as much as I want) I ask for the dressing on the side. I ask for low fat cottage cheese, and fruit or vegetable. When everyone is ordering desert, I simply ask for a bowl of applesauce. I really don't count calories. I use weights and what the dietician considers free, low, and high. It makes it easier for me to look at menu and understand it that way.

I hope you have a lot of fun!

itsm3
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM

portion control, order grilled protein (fish or chicken), salads with vinaigrette dressing on the side etc. 

i eat out all the time but i avoid starchy carbs (white rice/potatoes etc), deep-fried anything and stick to lean meats and salads.

mommadana
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Don't reach for the Chips and Hot sauce or the bread and butter on the table.  You can always ask for a to-go-box at restaurants when they deliver your food that way you can box up what you are not going to eat and leave what you will eat.  Also, A Lot of places have smaller portions that you can order, kinda a lunch portion or something similar.  Good luck and you can always workout before everyone gets up to make you not feel so bad if you have one munchie day

jaxTheMomm
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Another vote for chicken.  I can actually do pretty well now at most restaurants, I can find healthier options on the menu and most restaurants will gladly allow you to substitute things or make little changes.

What's harder is to actually order the healthier options instead of the less healthy.  However I always feel very proud of myself when I do, and I feel physically better when I feed my body the right stuff.

AND if it's a special occasion, I don't feel so guilty about indulging just a little bit of desert.

Thomasmom07
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM
I love grilled chicken and wish I liked fish. I can eat it every once in a while but have to make myself eat it lol.

Thanks for the advice. It so much easier to eat right when you cook and know how it's cooked.

Quoting connietrrll:

I would do things you can control. Definitely do not fall for the salad is healthier thing. Because a lot of restaurants have salads that are high calorie salads.

One thing I do because my husband loves to eat out a lot is to eat grilled chicken. You can also eat fish, or poulty of any kind. Which I like anyhow. I ask for just a side salad with onions, tomato, banana peppers, cucumbers, and lettuce. Those are all what my dietician calls free food. (things I can eat as much as I want) I ask for the dressing on the side. I ask for low fat cottage cheese, and fruit or vegetable. When everyone is ordering desert, I simply ask for a bowl of applesauce. I really don't count calories. I use weights and what the dietician considers free, low, and high. It makes it easier for me to look at menu and understand it that way.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thomasmom07
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Chips will be my weakness on this trip. My inlaws love Mexican food and we will deff be going to one to eat and I love chips and cheese dip :/. I am deff taking some of my workout videos with me. If I don't work out for a week I would feel horrible and have a hard time picking it back up when I got home.

Quoting mommadana:

Don't reach for the Chips and Hot sauce or the bread and butter on the table.  You can always ask for a to-go-box at restaurants when they deliver your food that way you can box up what you are not going to eat and leave what you will eat.  Also, A Lot of places have smaller portions that you can order, kinda a lunch portion or something similar.  Good luck and you can always workout before everyone gets up to make you not feel so bad if you have one munchie day

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
connietrrll
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I had to add the fish in there because I don't like it either. I do eat Tilapia with lemon pepper, or my daughter makes it for me with some mysterious spices. But, I hate fish!!!!

I can understand the whole cooking, sort of. My family cooks for me. But, it is easier to control when you are at home. Especially for me because they put it on my plate, and I can't really get more then what they serve, but waiters/waitresses would have to do what I want.

Quoting Thomasmom07:

I love grilled chicken and wish I liked fish. I can eat it every once in a while but have to make myself eat it lol.

Thanks for the advice. It so much easier to eat right when you cook and know how it's cooked.

Quoting connietrrll:

mommadana
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Because they love mexican you can always see about fajitas, if you like those, and split them with someone.  You can also request corn tortillas instead of flour for them.  Also a way to keep reaching for more chips is to drink a full glass of water before leaving the house to eat out and to place the amount you are willing to eat on a plate with your own hot sauce dipping container.  (the individual ones) and dish out how much hot sauce or queso you want and when it's empty you stop and drink water when you want to reach for it.  Or order a side salad with dressing on the side prior to your meal.  It helps because you are in control.   

Quoting Thomasmom07:

Chips will be my weakness on this trip. My inlaws love Mexican food and we will deff be going to one to eat and I love chips and cheese dip :/. I am deff taking some of my workout videos with me. If I don't work out for a week I would feel horrible and have a hard time picking it back up when I got home.

Quoting mommadana:

Dana    
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN