Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Newbie here...need some motivation

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:54 AM
  • 7 Replies
Near the end of high school I gained about 20-30lbs, and while pregnant with dd I gained 50lbs. Two weeks after I gave birth I had lost about 15lbs total. Since then (end of Jan 2012), I have maintained my weight, but desperately want to be back in my own clothes. To do that, I need to drop 4 sizes...or 55lbs. I'm having a very tough time at home, but I plug through as best I can. I know i won't get any better looking if I keep my current habits up. I sit a lot...reading, knitting, paying games on my phone, moping about how fat I've gotten and about how my family isn't supportive of anything I choose to do. I know what I need to do to change that, I just need some motivation from mamas like me to help pump me up a little. :)
Thanks
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sunshinekay
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:14 AM
1 mom liked this
You can do it. I know its hard to do it alone but only you can change it. Two of my fave quotes are: no one ever says oh i regret that workout and a year will pass whether you work out or not. Wouldnt you rather look back on it and see progress and growth?
mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this

First, welcome to the group! 

Second- we cannot give you motivation. It HAS to come from within you. You are the one that has to do the work. I can give you the tools, but I cannot force you to bypass the junk or to workout. 

Write down why you want to lose weight. It can be anything you think of, but make a list and keep it in places that you can see daily. This will help you stay on track. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

JoanB1117
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
The hardest part is starting. Put your mind to it and get some determination then just DO IT. Don't stop even when you get discouraged. After a while you won't be able to remember how it felt to not exercise. Thats when you know you're doing good :)
LDavis33
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like your in the same boat as me.  I have a DS (3) and a 4 month old daughter.  I only dropped about 10 pounds after she was born, and now I want to lose that extra weight (about 35 lbs).  

I'm just starting out too and I'll tell you what works for me.  I use my kids as motivation.  My mother was never very physically active and didn't eat the healthiest either and those were habits that I picked up.  I don't want that for my kids.  I want them to grow up with a mom and a dad who are healthy and active, so that it becomes part of their overall lifestyle.  So, use your little one for motivation.  

And find a weight-loss buddy.  Someone who can give you that little push when you need it.  

SolanaA
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:17 PM

It isn't easy. Starting is the hardest. Motivation starts with you. We are your supporters and the people who can help you to keep on going. What will you start with? Walking, jogging, doing squats? Every person is different as to how they will start working out. Personally, I did not enjoy walking or running after I had my 3rd child. I was zilt not interested. I did go for walks, but I felt I spent more time picking up dropped or thrown footwear or toys. So, I researched at home fitness programs and found it has helped me. 

marihla
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:46 PM

They`re right, as you know, starting is the hardest part. Go for walks and ease into it with a healthy diet, even calorie counting. I do whatever I can do in my home, and I find that if I make excuses as to why I`m not exercising tonight, then I end up doing that over and over. Yes, we`re tired. But we have a lot more energy when we`re not lugging around extra weight! 

Healthywahm
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

You can do this!   Motivation does need to come from within for the "long haul", but you can start with an "outside motivator"  if you need to.  Take baby steps if that will help you stick with it.    I have a list of weight loss/ lifestyle tips if you'd like it.  (Just message me and put "list of tips" in the subject line)

Linda

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN