Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Do we all have our "healthy weight"?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM
  • 17 Replies

I've plateaued at 140 (I'm 5'8") and I've continued exercising and eating healthy. I would like to be 10 pounds lighter, I'm just not happy here. I'm in a healthy BMI so my question is, are we just supposed to be happy once our weight stops in a healthy BMI? I'm so unhappy with my body, maybe 10 more pounds won't make a difference in how I feel.

What's your goal? Do you want to be curvy? Do you want to be healthy?

Lilypie - (aFSs)

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AbbysMom1017
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I am 5'1" and on the BMI side of things I should weigh 120lbs, currently I weigh 169lbs. Right out of high school after tipping the scales at 198lbs I lost weight and got down to 122lbs, I was soon hospitalized for severe anemia and nearly died. I never did anything crazy to lose weight like pills or vomitting or laxatives, all I did was eat right and worked out and I still got sick. After getting better from that and putting on the 20lbs the ER docs said I should to stay healthy (which put me at 140lbs) I felt great and to me I had found my "healthy" weight. Even though I LOVED my skinny little bikini body (that was before 2 kids and stretch marks lol) I wasn't healthy at my BMI target weight. I honestly believe there is a healthy weight for everyone and we just might HAVE to learn to love a little bit of curves as long as it means we are healthy.

Now, don't get me wrong, every person and body is different but I say as long as you are healthy and happy why change a thing?

snowpeasmom
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM
I think there is. Why not go for toning now, with light weights, the scale may go up but your inches will go down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marihla
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I wonder if that's what's happening right now. I'm still working out and trying to tone my belly, legs and arms. It's hard to know if the scale is staying the same due to muscle gain. I wish I could be less fixated on the numbers.

Quoting snowpeasmom:

I think there is. Why not go for toning now, with light weights, the scale may go up but your inches will go down.

KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Hmm.. you may try measuring your waistline once every week or two to see if you notice any differences.

Quoting marihla:

I've plateaued at 140 (I'm 5'8") and I've continued exercising and eating healthy. I would like to be 10 pounds lighter, I'm just not happy here. I'm in a healthy BMI so my question is, are we just supposed to be happy once our weight stops in a healthy BMI? I'm so unhappy with my body, maybe 10 more pounds won't make a difference in how I feel.

Liz132
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:53 AM

It doesn't sound like you need to loose anymore weight. 140 is a good weight for a 5'8" woman. I think now would be a good time to focus on muscle building.

marihla
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Okay, thanks.

Quoting Liz132:

It doesn't sound like you need to loose anymore weight. 140 is a good weight for a 5'8" woman. I think now would be a good time to focus on muscle building.

marihla
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Okay I'll start. Thank you.

Quoting KCisPaulsMom:

Hmm.. you may try measuring your waistline once every week or two to see if you notice any differences.

Quoting marihla:

clearlyme
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM

140 is perfect for 5'8"! This may be your body's healthy weight. Try doing toning excersies like Pilates or something. Too many people obsess on the number the scale shows. 

itsm3
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:25 PM

if you aren't happy, then continue working on it.  switch up your workouts, recheck your caloric intake for weight loss and continue to track what you eat.

the last 10lbs are the toughest to lose and usually requires pretty tight eating habits (tight = disciplined). 

i'm almost at my goal (defined abs and arms).  i have no idea how much i weigh; i just go by how my clothes fit/inches lost and how i look. 

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:26 PM

i'm 5'4 and i wanna be 120 but i'm 130.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)