Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

what are some great workouts for. ...

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:47 AM
  • 21 Replies
Great work outs for someone who is very out of shape but eager to get out there and sweat off some pounds ;) any and all recommendations I will try (yeah, that's right I'll be a good sport lol) and any workouts that could be family friendly I'll love to thx ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
overweightmommy
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:52 AM

Honestly I thought I would be very limited with how out of shape I am but I can do almost everything my DH does. He just got out of the military and is in very good shape. I may not be able to do things as fast or as long as he can, but I can still do them. 

I started out with the elliptical. Now for cardio I do stairs, row machine, elliptical and/or treadmill and sometimes finish off on a bike for cool down. Yes, my cardio sessions are usually very long. Lol. 

I'm less capable in the weight training department but can still do almost everything he does. Including bench which I couldn't do back when I was in shape!

You just have to find what works for you. It shouldn't be easy but it shouldn't "hurt" either. Burn is good, you'll know a bad pain when you feel it. 

Thomasmom07
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:59 AM
I am extremely out of shape myself. I tried insanity and that didn't work i did 2 days and it was just was to much haha but I started doing jillian Michaels 30 day shred and really enjoy it. I sweat and by the end of the 30 min my legs and arms burn but its A good burn. I got to day 4 and I am having to take a break because I fell on ice outside and busted my knee up but I can't wait to get back at it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PROGENITOR
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Check out as many group fitness classes at your gym (if you have one). Just go for it, don't let being out of shape hold you back!

mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:28 AM

You have to find what you enjoy. We can tell you what we like, but ultimately, it only matters if you like it and will stick with it. 

Personally, I'm a runner so I run 4-5x per week usually. I also hit the gym for 2-3 hours at a time. My typical morning at the gym is a 4-5 mile run, a weights class, and a cardio class. Or, I'll do a 4-5 mile run and weights. It depends on my mood... lately, it is only running as I've been banned from any strength training by my Ortho.....he gave me permission to run and that was it.. *sigh* 

DVDs are great for those that don't like the gym or are restricted from going to the gym. There are beginner workouts and advanced workouts. Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred is a good beginner workout as is P90 and P90X from Beachbody. P90X can be modified throughout which is why it is great for beginners. 

Play with it and you'll find something that you enjoy. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

chrisnjoesmom
My boys go to school Monday!
Yesterday at 10:16 PM
by Adrienne on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:52 AM
I really like Chris Freytags DVDs. I get them from amazon or eBay. Great for beginners and she is great with cues and not psycho.

Leslie sansones DVDs are sorta similar. She is very peppy. you can get them at walmart. Honestly I prefer Chris Freytag.

Also biggest loser DVDs are good.

I'm trying to involve my kids by going for walks at night and on good weather weekends doing hiking with them or biking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter (4 yrs old) likes to do my Insanity DVD's with me (those are not for beginners though), 30 day shred is a good beginner workout.  I used to run a lot as well.  My daugher always wanted to come with me (she was 3 1/2 at the time).  I would take her on a short run or two a week and I would sign her up for the kids fun run races whenever I did a 5k.  She ran 2 half mile races and a 100m dash when she was 3 1/2.  

sophiesmom07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Zumba! Try a class or the dvds. Lots of fun and you WILL sweat off the pounds! If you want to start with something easier, try the Dancing off the Inches series, great for beginners (available on Netflix.) Then you can work your way up to Zumba. Good luck!

hudson.maggie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:30 AM
I love the 30 day shred.
cherylmoore
by Cheryl on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. Group classes are great. You won't be able to keep up at first but even if u can only do half as much as everyone else. Keep at it and you will see yourself doing more and more each time. Plus I'd your gym is like mine the other ladies are a great support group and inspiration

Quoting PROGENITOR:

Check out as many group fitness classes at your gym (if you have one). Just go for it, don't let being out of shape hold you back!

cherylmoore
by Cheryl on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Leslie sansone is on YouTube also

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

I really like Chris Freytags DVDs. I get them from amazon or eBay. Great for beginners and she is great with cues and not psycho.

Leslie sansones DVDs are sorta similar. She is very peppy. you can get them at walmart. Honestly I prefer Chris Freytag.

Also biggest loser DVDs are good.

I'm trying to involve my kids by going for walks at night and on good weather weekends doing hiking with them or biking.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)