Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

NEW

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM
  • 4 Replies

all though Im not new to this weight loss stuff.. seams like Im always trying to do that.. in Sept of 2011 i got real serious... by Feb f 2012 I was down 30lbs. in April I got hurt and havent been able to get back at it... SO I have gain most of the weigh back.. ugh.. so no I have to get back to what I was doing before... but I cant find the inspiration, or the drive. I really need a different exercise dvd... Im so bored with the one I have... I also need to start getting up in the mornings and doing it... because by the time Im off work and chasing kids around.. I just dont feel it... I was walking/running last winter, but it was nice enough to do that.. this winter not so much. I really need some inspiration to get back to it.. I really want to get back on my Arbonne products.. those really jump started my weight loss..

Also its so hard to make a meal for me and then a hole complete one for the family.. UGH and stay within my food budget.

My family!!

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Welcome!

Why do you have to make a different meal for your family?  I make the same foods for myself that I make for everyone else.  Why shouldn't your kids be eating right?

I always recommend writing out your reasons for wanting to lose weight.  You might get some good insight doing this, and it can really help get you on track.  Plus, having them available for you to look at periodically can help keep you on track.

Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

crazynut
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:08 AM

because my kids will not eat what health food.. I tried this last time.. and it was an epic fail..  thanks for the idea.. I will write them down to day

My family!!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Don't make it an option to eat unhealthy food!  There are plenty of options out there that are kid-friendly.  It doesn't have to be all bran muffins and salad and plain chicken breasts!  =)  Try not to keep unhealthy options in the house.  When healthy stuff is the ONLY option, they'll eat it.  But making it appealing really helps.  My son LOVES anything he can dip.  I'll make French toast with sprouted wheat bread and buttermilk, and he gets to dip it in Greek yogurt with a little bit of maple syrup mixed in.  One of his favorite snacks is carrots and hummus.  We also talk about what food is, how it works in the body, and the differences in the macronutrients.  He is 4, and they're never too young to start learning about what's healthy and what will help them grow up feeling good!  He loves to be active, and he knows that healthy food will fuel his running or biking or whatever (and boy does it!).  He feels like crap when he gets the occasional fast food snack or meal.  He still gets a cookie or juice or something else with sugar or high in fat occasionally, but he understands that they are "sometimes foods," versus "big and strong foods".

Quoting crazynut:

because my kids will not eat what health food.. I tried this last time.. and it was an epic fail..  thanks for the idea.. I will write them down to day

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Take 2...my computer just deleted my response..ergh..

Welcome to the group! 

My first advice is to not rely on weight loss products/supplements. You are not going to do yourself any favors at all as using these things do not teach you how to eat properly. They also don't provide the proper amounts of macronutrients nor micronutrients. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. 

As far as diet goes- lean proteins, tons of produce, water, and whole grains and dairy if you choose...There is no reason not to enforce healthy eating for the whole family. If you don't begin teaching the kiddos now, they will be fighting the same battle the rest of us are battling- weight loss. They need the tools now so that they understand how to make good choices when they are on their own with friends and such later. 

My kids loathe veggies... loathe them.. however, they don't get a choice in the matter. I put veggies in everything. One of their favorite things is turkey meatloaf. I load mine with onions, mushrooms, spinach, carrots, zucchini and top it with sliced tomatoes. I serve it with mashed cauliflower and other veggies. They are required to eat at least 1 bite of the cauliflower and other veggie as they are getting tons of veggies in the meatloaf. I also put veggies in chili, sauces, pasta dishes, casseroles, etc...

YOU control what you serve to the kids and your husband. Do NOT make 2 different meals. It is not doing any of you any favors by cowtowing to their desires for food as you are teaching them that you are a) a short order cook b) they have control over meals and you c) teaching them bad food habits. 

Make small changes- turkey instead of ground beef, whole grains instead of white... ditch the processed foods. They will adjust and get over it. Trust me.. I battle this daily myself, but I am winning. I am the mother and by golly, they will eat what I fix or they will eat it at the next meal if I have to reheat it 10x. <--- I'm evil, what can I say??  Now, my kids have their treat foods. I keep small bags of chips and some Little Debbies for lunches at school, but my oldest also gets healthy options with that. They are also not allowed to just eat junk all day long at home. They will eat hummus if I'm eating it, they love greek yogurt, fruit, almond butter, cheese and nuts.  I also do not keep soft drinks in the house- they drink Almond milk or water. 

As far as exercise goes- find something that you enjoy and it will be easier to stick with. DVDs are great, especially if you have several to rotate through. Walking, running, pushups, lunges, pull ups, high knees, jump rope- all of those are effective as well. Get the kids involved as well- go for walks, bike rides, etc.. My kids love to ride their scooters, ride bikes, and both of them take karate as well. My oldest goes running with me on occasion too. ( she is an aspriring runner since Dh and I are both long distance runners) 

You can do this!

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN