Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Protein Excess

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:11 PM
  • 26 Replies

does anyone know exactly how much is too much to stick in a protein drink in order to get diarrhea? i know this is an awkward question but i need it answered please. i am trying to lose weight and it just is not working right.confused

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
roxysmommy
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Are you trying to give yourself diarrhea? If so, why?

childofGod995
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:45 PM

no, i am not trying to give myself diahrrea. i just listen to one person about what to put in a drink and i end up having it. perhaps i put in too much, and perhaps i put in the wrong stuff. either way,, i belong to a weight loss group and i am getting information from friends who belong also to a wellness club (Herbalife). what i need to do is stop listening to people and find out what are the correct things to eat. too much dairy is bad for you also isn't it. i need to stop changing my diet so my body does not have to go through all this mess.if you know of a good 1500  calorie meal plan that is not expensive, please tell me what it is. i am getting tired of these protein powders and slimfast drinks.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

All you have to do is eat well. Ditch the protein drinks and SlimFast. 

1.) Slim Fast is terrible for you. There is nothing redeeming about it at all. 

2.) Unless you are pulling a lot of weight, you don't need protein powder/drinks. You should strive for whole food sources of proteins. 

3.) All you need to do is eat cleanly. Lean proteins, tons of produce, whole grains and dairy if you choose to consume them and lots of water. 

4.) Exercise- find something that you enjoy and you will be more apt to stick with it. 

5.) Where did you get 1500 calories? 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

itsm3
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:22 PM

while powdered protein is ok once in a while (ie. if you're on the go), it shouldn't be your main source of protein.  this should be in the form of lean meats (chicken, beef, turkey etc) or veggies (combine with legumes etc) to complete your proteins.

weight loss is all about a consistent caloric deficit.  figure out what your daily caloric intake is for weight loss and stick with that.  eating clean helps you achieve this - by allowing you to fuel your body properly, within your range and keeping your blood sugar stable so that you don't binge eat (and therefore, over eat your cals).

childofGod995
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:39 PM

stopping the protein powder and slim fast was my first step that i had in mind.as for the 1500 calories, i was told that in order to find out how many calories you needed to maintain your weight, you had to take your weight and multiply it by 10. now for me, if i wanted to maintain my weight(which I don't-i want to lose) i would have to take 186 pounds and multiply it by ten. that is 1860 calories a day. my nutritionist said i should do 1500 calories a day. so the way i see it, i am way over the intake by a long shot x 7 days a week. being with little exercise and eating too much fatty foods, this is where my weight comes from.

childofGod995
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:41 PM

you definitely know what you are talking about. how is it you know so much about this sort of thing?angel

mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Quoting childofGod995:

stopping the protein powder and slim fast was my first step that i had in mind.as for the 1500 calories, i was told that in order to find out how many calories you needed to maintain your weight, you had to take your weight and multiply it by 10. now for me, if i wanted to maintain my weight(which I don't-i want to lose) i would have to take 186 pounds and multiply it by ten. that is 1860 calories a day. my nutritionist said i should do 1500 calories a day. so the way i see it, i am way over the intake by a long shot x 7 days a week. being with little exercise and eating too much fatty foods, this is where my weight comes from.

Hmm.. I am surprised that your nutritionist gave you 1500 calories...I would be interested in seeing what your BMR is to see how close 1500 is to that number for loss. 

I would need your age, height, weight and the number of days per week you workout to calculate those numbers. 

Would you be willing to either post a day's worth of food for me to look at? Sometimes an extra set of eyes helps. I might be able to offer you suggestions that will get you closer to your goal without using the powder or slimfast and will keep you full longer. I'm not a nutritionist, but I've learned a lot about nutrition in the past several years and I might see something that you don't. 

What kind of exercise do you do? How long and how often? 

I will be going offliine in a little while. We are leaving for vacation in the morning, so if I don't respond back until tomorrow night, don't panic..we are driving 6 hours to my IL's house in FL. I'll try to hop on early in the morning before we leave or later tomorrow evening after we are there and settled. 

Claire

mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting childofGod995:

you definitely know what you are talking about. how is it you know so much about this sort of thing?angel

Not sure if this is directed to me or itsm3, but... I went on my own journey several years ago. I've learned a lot about nutrition and exercise over the years. I am also in the process of getting my Personal Trainer Certifications. 

Claire

childofGod995
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:43 AM

as for my age, i am 58 years old. my weight is 186 pounds. as for exercise all i do is walk around wherever i have to do something. ex: Walmart , garbage, laundry. as for posting a days worth of food, i will do my best. for breakfast this morning i started out by having coffee followed b y 2 scrambled eggs and a piece of toast with butter. as for the rest of the day, i will do  my best to type it in when i get the chance. as for lunch today, i will probably have left over soup and then for supper i will have soup and salad.hugs

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM

We'll also need your height to calculate your BMR.

Have you considered adding in more snacks to be keep your blood sugar more even throughout the day?

I'm wondering if it's the protein, or the SlimFast and other stuff that's giving you the diarrhea.  I'd definitely ditch the shakes- I have lost weight with them myself (I absolutely STARVED the whole time, and was beyond crabby because of it!).  Then I gained back more than I'd lost, of course, because I hadn't learned healthy habits.  This time, I've lost over 100 lbs, and I'm doing significantly better.  I eat clean, which makes all the difference (and it's what itsm3 does as well).  I have a journal (click here) that lists the basics of that.

Too much protein can be really hard on your liver and kidneys.  Usually docs will induce diarrhea to help expel ammonia in people who have too much in them (ammonia is a byproduct of protein metabolism, and too much can lead to a condition called hepatic encephalopathy).  That's usually in conjunction with liver failure, but taking in too much protein can cause this as well.

Be careful about sodium in many soups.  Unless you made it yourself, and you specifically made it with little salt, there can be a TON in them.  Are you feeling full eating as you are?

It would be good to add in some weight-bearing exercise to keep your bones strong.  As we age, calcium tends to leach out of your bones, especially after menopause, and weight-bearing exercise is the main way to get calcium from your diet into your bones.  Make sure you're getting enough calcium and vitamin D3 (calcium cannot get into your bones without vitamin D).

Quoting childofGod995:

as for my age, i am 58 years old. my weight is 186 pounds. as for exercise all i do is walk around wherever i have to do something. ex: Walmart , garbage, laundry. as for posting a days worth of food, i will do my best. for breakfast this morning i started out by having coffee followed b y 2 scrambled eggs and a piece of toast with butter. as for the rest of the day, i will do  my best to type it in when i get the chance. as for lunch today, i will probably have left over soup and then for supper i will have soup and salad.hugs

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN