Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

myfitness pal ?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:36 PM
  • 15 Replies
I just started using myfitness pal and i was wondering what is the exact number should i be following. I enter my food and exercise and it tells me i have so many caleries remaining, should i eat the remaining caleries? And if I dont eat them will I have a harder time losing the weight? Also what does the "net" numbers mean? Thanks for the help:-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armyvet06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:39 PM
I never eat the remaining calories.
mataymay03
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Really, cause when I enter my daily journel at the end of the day it says Im eating to few caleries and that my body will go into starvation mode?

Quoting armyvet06:

armyvet06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Thays weird. I have never even seen that message before.

Quoting mataymay03:

Really, cause when I enter my daily journel at the end of the day it says Im eating to few caleries and that my body will go into starvation mode?

Quoting armyvet06:

jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Ok first off. Did you get your bmr done?
Second you don't want to see that. Stravtion mood you will gain weight (know doesn't make sense but true)
Also focus of the types of foods that go into your body whole fresh foods are best
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Yes, I agree with Jen.  Do you know your BMR?  MFP tends to estimate too low on calories.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:15 AM

OK..

MFP is notorious for setting people too low in their calorie budget daily. There are 2 ways to use MFP. 

1.) Use MFP's numbers and eat those exercise calories back. The program is designed to calculate your numbers without exercise. This means that when you add exercise, you are having to consume more calories in order to avoid "starvation mode". The program wants you to eat all of your calories back so that you hit 0 in your daily budget which will give you a 500 calorie deficit daily and a 1 lb weekly loss. 

2.) Have one of us do your BMR and customize your numbers to reflect it. Then, you don't add exercise into the program. You only eat within the range we give you as we have already accounted for exercise. 

If you want me to do your BMR and then you customize your account, I need your age, height, weight and the number of days per week you work out. ( and whether you are BFing or not as it changes the numbers.)

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

mataymay03
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Thank you:-) Im 28, 246lb, 5'5. Exercise five to six days a week for 30min to 45min.

Quoting mcginnisc:

OK..

MFP is notorious for setting people too low in their calorie budget daily. There are 2 ways to use MFP. 

1.) Use MFP's numbers and eat those exercise calories back. The program is designed to calculate your numbers without exercise. This means that when you add exercise, you are having to consume more calories in order to avoid "starvation mode". The program wants you to eat all of your calories back so that you hit 0 in your daily budget which will give you a 500 calorie deficit daily and a 1 lb weekly loss. 

2.) Have one of us do your BMR and customize your numbers to reflect it. Then, you don't add exercise into the program. You only eat within the range we give you as we have already accounted for exercise. 

If you want me to do your BMR and then you customize your account, I need your age, height, weight and the number of days per week you work out. ( and whether you are BFing or not as it changes the numbers.)

frecklesthehen
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM

i eat all the calories, and then some lol. if you are only under its goal by about 50 you dont get the message, but if you are under a lot you will.

the net calories takes the food you have eaten, and subtracts exercise to get a total. so if you eat 100 calories, and work out for 20, you get a net of 80. which you then need to eat back.

also, dont know if it affects you, but breastfeeding is logged in the food section. and is -500 calories from your food journal.

hope that helps some!

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Agree with what the others have said. Their default 1200 or whatever is usually too low :( once you get your BMR figured out, it is a joy to use.
Just be sure you re do your BMR after every few lbs.

I only eat my calories back if I go below my BMR, which is typically on days I have a great burn from working out.

You want to feed your body while losing weight. With good food, of course:) it will feed your muscles and give you energy!
heart-n-dixie
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM
How do u calculate ur bmr? Mfp has me at 1200 calories a day and I would like to know if that's to low for me. I am 28 5 foot tall currently weigh 160 and I do 45 min on my elliptical everyday my goal weight is 125-130. Can someone help me out?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)