Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How should I make this work?

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:22 AM
  • 11 Replies

My husband and I are going to compete each other for $200 with weight loss. I'm just not sure how to make it work so that the playing field is even. If I say total percentage of weight loss, he's larger than I am so his percentage will be bigger. If it's per pound, he loses weight easier than I do. I wanna win, dammit! LOL. So, any ideas?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjgm1966
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Girl, there is no way I'd make that bet.  My husband and I have dieted off and on thru the years and he ALWAYS loses more weight, more quickly.  I've been eating healthy for about 1 1/2 years now.  I've lost close to thirty pounds.  He just started on Jan 1st and has lost almost 13 pounds...  Crazy!!!  :)  But, good that you both are on board!!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:09 AM

You can do a total percentage of weight loss, and that would be fair.  Just because he's larger doesn't mean his percentage will be larger.  Let's say you agree to lose 5% of your body weight.  Whoever gets there first wins.  If you weigh 200 pounds, you would need to lose 10 pounds.  If your husband weighs 300 pounds, he would need to lose 15 pounds.  Make sense?

mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Honey, there is no even playing field with a man for weight loss. It is going to be very difficult for you to have an even keel as he has more lean muscle mass naturally, which is going to make him lose more weight at a faster rate. He has an unfair advantage just being a man as that is how they are structured. 

Good luck. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

rockinmomto2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this

That is PERFECT!!!! Thank you!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

You can do a total percentage of weight loss, and that would be fair.  Just because he's larger doesn't mean his percentage will be larger.  Let's say you agree to lose 5% of your body weight.  Whoever gets there first wins.  If you weigh 200 pounds, you would need to lose 10 pounds.  If your husband weighs 300 pounds, he would need to lose 15 pounds.  Make sense?

itsm3
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:52 AM

go with %body fat lost.  measure yourselves before you begin and record current body fat%.  then make a bet to lose say, 5 or 10% body fat and whoever gets there first, wins.

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Ugh...

I lose about 3-4 lbs a month average so- there is NO way I'd be betting anyone!  I also think making bets about weight loss is a good way to do really unhealthy things to achiever the goal of winning...

I'm not sure how you would go about making it totally fair...

rockinmomto2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Oh, I would never do anything unhealthy to win. I'm not THAT competetive. I want to lose weight because I want to be healthy, so limiting food or over exercising are not going to help me achieve that goal.

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

Ugh...

I lose about 3-4 lbs a month average so- there is NO way I'd be betting anyone!  I also think making bets about weight loss is a good way to do really unhealthy things to achiever the goal of winning...

I'm not sure how you would go about making it totally fair...

jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:19 AM
I agree with these ladies. Percentage is the way to go. Good luck !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emily0004
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this
You could also incorporate measurements (waist, thighs, etc). Whoever has the biggest difference in inches. :)

It could be a multi-point game, with different categories earning a point (biggest percentage weight lost, most pounds lost, most inches shedded, most clothes size difference, etc.) and then whoever gets the most points across the categories wins.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I don't think there is any fair way to measure weight loss against a man.  They have way too many advantages! 

I'll never forget when we all went camping, I ate similarly to my husband, but healthier and much smaller portions, we both went biking the whole time and were really active, and he lost EIGHT POUNDS and I gained 2!!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)