Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So, is my work out WORTH it?

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM
  • 10 Replies

I ask because I just started working out I use an elliptical and it says on average I only burn about 120cal per workout(15min).

Whats a measly 120cal going to do? Or WILL it do something?

I'm only eating about 2,000 calories a day(and cant eat any less than that as I am breastfeeding).

I guess I'm new to all this and don't understand how it works, I thought in order to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you eat, so my question remains.

Thanks!

proprolife.gif picture by piink-lem0nade

Happily married Mama to one angelbaby, a son born 10-19-10, and a daughter born 3-20-12

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:50 PM

well 120 calories per day for that equals 840 calories, which if that's all you do on a daily basis, you'll lose roughly 1/4 pound a week. I would say it's not a crazy effective workout, but every workout is worth it, IMO.

mem82
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:31 PM

If you are working on building up to a longer workout, it's totally worth it.

Silvertears1275
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't forget.... you burn calories just by being alive.  When they figure your BMR, that number is mostly the calories you just burn existing.  You're moving more and that is always worth it.

itsm3
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:12 PM
3 moms liked this
mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:07 AM

120 is not bad...you are doing something, so that is a great thing. 

If you give me your age, height, weight, the number of days per week you workout, and a reminder that you are BFing I can do your BMR for you and give you a range of calories to eat within to lose 1 lb per week. 

In order to lose 1 lb per week, you need a 500 calorie deficit daily, meaning you burn more calories than you take in and have 500 left over. 500 calorie deficit * 7 days per week= 3500 calories= 1 lb loss..one pound of fat contains 3500 calories which is why the goal is 500 per day. 

Let me know if you want me to do your BMR for you. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

Kelseyciarah
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I would appreciate it!

Yikes, okay Age:21,Height:5ft5in,Weight:225lb, working out 6 days a week for 15min on the elliptical, hopefully I will be able to gradually increase that :) (And yes, I am still full-time breastfeeding)

Quoting mcginnisc:

If you give me your age, height, weight, the number of days per week you workout, and a reminder that you are BFing I can do your BMR for you and give you a range of calories to eat within to lose 1 lb per week. 

In order to lose 1 lb per week, you need a 500 calorie deficit daily, meaning you burn more calories than you take in and have 500 left over. 500 calorie deficit * 7 days per week= 3500 calories= 1 lb loss..one pound of fat contains 3500 calories which is why the goal is 500 per day. 

jaxTheMomm
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Your workout should be to strengthen your body and your heart.  Do you feel like what you are doing now is challenging you?  It should.  If it's not, switch it up and do something more.

Yes, you loose weight by burning more calories than you take in.  And as someone else said, you already burn calories just by being alive.  So, you need to figure out how many calories your body burns all on it's own each day, and how many you are eating.  Then adjust your workout as needed.

How many calories you burn depends on your age, height, weight, lifestyle.  You need your BMR to figure that out.

For example, I burn around 1,700 a day without excersizing.  So I try to eat about 1,300 calories a day of whole, healthy foods.  I could eat 1,300 calories of cheeseburgers and pizza each day but then I'd feel like crap.  :)

I do HIIT (high intensity interval training) workouts on my treadmill, using a heart rate monitor.  I also do the 30 Day Shred DVDs and I lift heavy weights - I switch all that around throughout the week.  My goal with the workouts is to strengthen my body.  Muscle burns fuel.

Keep reading and you'll learn more!

mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

I would appreciate it!

Yikes, okay Age:21,Height:5ft5in,Weight:225lb, working out 6 days a week for 15min on the elliptical, hopefully I will be able to gradually increase that :) (And yes, I am still full-time breastfeeding)

Quoting mcginnisc:

BMR: 1840 ( this is what your body would burn lying in bed all day doing nothing...) +500 ( BFing)=2340

Maintenance while working out 1-3 days per week ( since you are only working out 20 minutes I will use the lightly active formula) 2340*1.375=3217

To lose 1 lb per week: 3217-500=2717

Your ideal calorie range while BFing and working out lightly is 2340-2717 calories per day. 

If you increase your workouts, your numbers will go up. I know it seems like a lot, but it is very easy to add calories by adding in healthy fats- olive oil, coconut oil, ghee ( clarified butter) nuts, nut butters, avocadoes...all of those will increase your calories. 

Let me know if I can help you with anything. 

Claire

Kelseyciarah
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:44 AM

So are you saying, that I need to eat MORE? My average amount of calories I eat daily is 1,900-2,000calories(I've been tracking lol)

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

I would appreciate it!

Quoting mcginnisc:

BMR: 1840 ( this is what your body would burn lying in bed all day doing nothing...) +500 ( BFing)=2340

Maintenance while working out 1-3 days per week ( since you are only working out 20 minutes I will use the lightly active formula) 2340*1.375=3217

Your ideal calorie range while BFing and working out lightly is 2340-2717 calories per day. 

If you increase your workouts, your numbers will go up. I know it seems like a lot, but it is very easy to add calories by adding in healthy fats- olive oil, coconut oil, ghee ( clarified butter) nuts, nut butters, avocadoes...all of those will increase your calories. 

mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

So are you saying, that I need to eat MORE? My average amount of calories I eat daily is 1,900-2,000calories(I've been tracking lol)

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

I would appreciate it!

Quoting mcginnisc:

Yes...since your BMR is 1840 before BFing and being active...I would increase to at least 2340 daily...I would also try to increase your workouts to 30 minutes-45 minutes 3-5 days per week.. also, if you add in strength training, you will see a higher rate of loss.  

Let me know if I can help you. 

Claire

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)