Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Needing Some Paleo'ers Input!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:25 PM
  • 21 Replies

What are your thoughts on this?

Paleo Bread:Link for you to check out the website

Nutrition Information

Paleo Bread Almond

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 slice (43g)
Servings Per Loaf Approx. 16
Amount Per Serving
Calories 100 Calories from Fat 70
% Daily Value
Total Fat 8g 12%
Saturated Fat 0.5g 3%
Trans Fat 0g  
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 100mg 2%
Potassium 170mg 5%
Total Carbohydrate 5g 2%
Dietary Fiber 4g 17%
Soluble Fiber 1g  
Sugars 1g  
Protein 9g  
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 2%
Iron 2% Calcium 4%
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-calorie a day diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Ingredients: Purified Water, Blanched Almond Flour, Egg Whites, Psyllium, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Baking Soda.

Paleo Bread Coconut

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 slice (43g)
Servings Per Loaf Approx. 16
Amount Per Serving
Calories 40 Calories from Fat 10
% Daily Value
Total Fat 1g 2%
Saturated Fat 1g 4%
Trans Fat 0g  
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 90mg 4%
Potassium 210mg 6%
Total Carbohydrate 6g 2%
Dietary Fiber 5g 19%
Soluble Fiber 1g  
Sugars 1g  
Protein 5g  
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 2%
Iron 2% Calcium 4%
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-calorie a day diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Ingredients: Purified Water, Organic Coconut Flour, Egg Whites, Psyllium, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Baking Soda.

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I think that (alternative) flours are supportive to be avoided in general, and the vinegar, too.   ?

Tonya_Lynn84
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I use vinegar on my salads.

Quoting doulala:

I think that (alternative) flours are supportive to be avoided in general, and the vinegar, too.   ?

Silvertears1275
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I've never tried a paleo-alternative bread.... I do have almond flour and coconut flour, thinking I might try to make some, but I haven't yet.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Looks great, although there seems to be little nutritional value in it (aside from the fiber and protein) which is contradictory to Paleo eating.  I've made "Paleo" bread; it's delicious and nutritious.

I used unblanched almond flour to make this.  It resembled wheat bread in looks and texture (using blanched almond flour would give more of a yellow cast to the finished slices.)  My kids said it had more flavor than wheat bread, though.

Paleo Bread - makes one loaf

• 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
  • 2 Tbsp. coconut flour
  • 1/4 c. golden flaxseed meal (I used Bob's Red Mill brand)
  • 1/4 tsp. sea salt (I used regular)
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 5 eggs
  • 1/4 c. melted coconut oil OR butter
  • 1 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 Tbsp. vinegar

Mix dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.  Add rest of ingredients and mix until well combined.  Pour into a greased 7.5" x 3.5" loaf pan (and grease that pan VERY well!!!)

Bake at 350° for 30 minutes until loaf tests done with a pick.  I had to bake mine for 45 minutes.

Use knife and serving spatula around the edges to loosen the loaf if needed.  Remove from pan.  Cool and serve.

Apple cider vinegar is fine.  It's more natural than white vinegar, which is usually derived from corn.

Tonya_Lynn84
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I haven't found a brand of Almond flour in which I like the texture once cooked, can you recommend one?

Quoting michiganmom116:

Looks great, although there seems to be little nutritional value in it (aside from the fiber and protein) which is contradictory to Paleo eating.  I've made "Paleo" bread; it's delicious and nutritious.

I used unblanched almond flour to make this.  It resembled wheat bread in looks and texture (using blanched almond flour would give more of a yellow cast to the finished slices.)  My kids said it had more flavor than wheat bread, though.

• 2 Tbsp. coconut flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 Tbsp. vinegar

Mix dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.  Add rest of ingredients and mix until well combined.  Pour into a greased 7.5" x 3.5" loaf pan (and grease that pan VERY well!!!)

Bake at 350° for 30 minutes until loaf tests done with a pick.  I had to bake mine for 45 minutes.

Use knife and serving spatula around the edges to loosen the loaf if needed.  Remove from pan.  Cool and serve.

Apple cider vinegar is fine.  It's more natural than white vinegar, which is usually derived from corn.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Almond flour is going to be a bit grainy and heavy because that's the nature of the almond flour.  I think Honeyville Farms had the best.  I use it for pancakes/waffles, muffins, cakes, and breads.

Quoting Tonya_Lynn84:

I haven't found a brand of Almond flour in which I like the texture once cooked, can you recommend one?

Quoting michiganmom116:

• 2 Tbsp. coconut flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 Tbsp. vinegar

Xfitmom
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Vinegar is fine to use and be careful on alternative flours. I prefer either coconut or almond

eema.gray
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I've seen that brand at one of the local health food stores.

I think it is astonishingly close to "junk food" considering it more or less abides by paleo principles, LOL.

I've found that nearly all things bakery make my blood sugar jump and mess up my blood sugar for at least 24 hours.

doulala
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Quoting Silvertears1275:

I've never tried a paleo-alternative bread.... I do have almond flour and coconut flour, thinking I might try to make some, but I haven't yet.

I guess they are not great for blood sugar, so while they might be "approved ingredients" they aren't really considered healthy (enough), I am learning.

roxysmommy
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I tend to stay away from paleo versions of non-paleo food, they typically end up being just slightly more nutrient dense as their counterparts. I stick with (for the most part) whole foods in their most pure form possible. Don't get me wrong, I make a mean paleo/primal cookie once in awhile. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN