Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Too embarrassed

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM
  • 15 Replies

So I have recently decided to make a life change. All I have been eating is junk food and soda. I weighed myself and I weigh 240 lbs. I am 26.

I tried to join a gym today, but I was so embarrassed I couldn't even get out of the car. I want to exercise, but I don't want people to point at me and notice me. Do you have any ideas on how I can do this??

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
asaffell
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Hugs mama! Just go in there with your head held high. You are doing something to make an awesome change and that is amazing. Most people at the gym are focused on themselves anyway and barely notice those around them.

kristy95
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Hopefully there are people there of ALL sizes :) u should feel great for trying to better your life!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:41 PM
There are people of all sizes at my gym! I don't think anyone looks down on people there to lose weight. I like to imagine that someone I think looks really fit recently lost 100 lbs :). It helps me out anyway. ;)

Exercising at home is a great option too. You can get workout DVDs at target and Walmart for 10 bucks. :)

I track my food on myfitnesspal and that helps a lot.

Good luck!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melissa...
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Don't feel that way! Everyone is there for the same reason. No one will point or laugh.
toopicky429
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Maybe look into an all women's gym like Curves. Good luck with weight loss!
Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, most people at the gym wouldn't notice you, except maybe to say "oh, a new face"

I promise you, most are so focused on their own workouts (as they should be) that nobody will point at you. If they do point at you, that's their own insecurity showing through, not something that's wrong with you. Every journey has to start somewhere

Xfitmom
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:16 PM

If I saw you walk in I would be saying "Good for you!" in my head. I was 240 lbs last year and started my weight loss journey last May. I told myself that it didn't matter what people thought because I wasn't there for them. I was there for me and that it would be the last time I would be stepping into a gym at that weight. You will get to a point where you will feel amazing about yourself. We are always here for support.

Silvertears1275
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I remember almost a year ago walking into a yoga class, of all things, at 267 lbs.  It was terrifying, to say the least, but you will be so proud of yourself and no one is going to point, laugh, or make fun of you. 

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:45 PM
No one will point and laugh. You will probably be admired. You don't know anyone's journey or story. Maybe some of those "fit" girls working out started off the same size or heavier than you. A friend of mine was over 300lbs and 5' tall, at one point and she got a body bugg, started going to the gym and did Zumba classes every week (multiple) she ended up becoming a Zumba instructor (her and her husband). She lost a lot of weight and nobody pointed and laughed or judged her. It's great that you want to change your life! Do it! Get past the fear!! You can do it :)
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:51 PM
I've never ever seen anyone get pointed at in the gym or stared at for being a big person. I was 269 lbs when I started, so I can understand. Now, when I see a big person, I want to hug them and give them a high five! I'm always happy to see them in there making positive strides toward achieving their goals! I so want to go up to them and be like, I've been there, and I'm so glad you're here! I really think most people think it's great when someone who's struggling with their weight is actually DOING something about it.
If you DO, while walkig around on the tour, get that "meathead" sense about the place, find another gym. Each one really does have its own feel and culture. Some places are much more welcoming than others. Some places just feel like a meat market or where the "roid rage" people go to get pumped up. I hate those gyms! Go for one with a good vibe to it. Curves really can be a great option for breaking onto the gym scene and finding your way.
You can do this!!!!!!!!!! Good luck, sweetie!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)