Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Best heart rate monitor/calorie burner?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:35 PM
  • 15 Replies
I want something to track how many calories I burn throughout the day, especially when I exercise. Is the body media or body bugg the only option? It's fine if it is, I just don't know if there was anything else anyone uses to track accurate calorie burn.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BellaElla
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:40 PM
I bought mine last week. It's Wahoo Fitness, at the Apple store. It uses a chest strap and uses Bluetooth to send the info to your iPhone. So far it's very accurate- easy, love it. Love that I don't have to wear a second thing- the wristwatch all others use.
chrisnjoesmom
Dreaming of cooler weather so we can enjoy the outdoors!
Yesterday at 8:15 PM
by Adrienne on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:43 PM

There's the Fitbits but idk how accurate they are. I had the Ultra one and I loved it but I got it wet and it broke.

It motivated me to walk more. I didn't have to wear any straps or anything, I just clipped it to my bra, shirt, or pants.

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:45 PM
I use a fitbit and I also have a polar HRM for my workouts
JoanB1117
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I use the polar ft4. I love it :)

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:50 PM
I'm not looking for a podomitor though. I want something to measure my heart rate and track my calories burned accurately. I have heard about the fitbits and know people like them but I already walk as much as I'm going to during the day. I'm on my feet for 10 hours at work no sitting, then go home and work out and sleep. Lol I just want to see what my daily calorie burn is and see what my heart rate is in when I'm doing insanity or running.

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

There's the Fitbits but idk how accurate they are. I had the Ultra one and I loved it but I got it wet and it broke.

It motivated me to walk more. I didn't have to wear any straps or anything, I just clipped it to my bra, shirt, or pants.

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Darn I looked it up but I can't wear a watch at work :( I probably just need to get the body bugg armband thing.

Quoting JoanB1117:

I use the polar ft4. I love it :)

chrisnjoesmom
Dreaming of cooler weather so we can enjoy the outdoors!
Yesterday at 8:15 PM
by Adrienne on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Quoting armygirl16:

I'm not looking for a podomitor though. I want something to measure my heart rate and track my calories burned accurately. I have heard about the fitbits and know people like them but I already walk as much as I'm going to during the day. I'm on my feet for 10 hours at work no sitting, then go home and work out and sleep. Lol I just want to see what my daily calorie burn is and see what my heart rate is in when I'm doing insanity or running.

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Oh ok, the fitbit said calories burned but i have no idea how it guesses.  Also it would have kind of a meter that told you how active you were at the moment. But it doesnt do heart rate.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:23 PM
The BodyBugg and the Fitbit are your best options for all day. I don't believe the BB measures your HR, though. I believe it goes by your skin temp. I may be wrong, though. Otherwise, a Polar HRM is a good way to go for during your workouts. All HRMs have a watch. That's just the way they work.
I really liked the Fitbit when I had it. The accuracy is good, and the numbers correspond with those of the BodyBugg by about 98%. There are reviews written by people who have worn both at the same time, and they all say this. That's part of why I chose the Fitbit. I didn't like the idea of having to wear the armband all the time, the Fitbit was more inconspicuous, it was cheaper both upfront and over time... I just liked that all much better. Just be sure to get a leash for it. My leash saved my One many many times, and when I forgot to put it on my new Ultra, the Ultra fell off the first time I went running. I wasn't thrilled.
You can do a search within the group posts regarding BodyBugg, Fitbit, and various HRMs. We've had extensive conversations about them!
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Also, HRMs aren't meant to be worn all day long. They're not designed to do that, and your calories will be off if you try to do it. Be aware, too, that different HRMs will give you different calorie burns. My old one would say I burned twice what my new Garmin tells me I burn in the same workout. Just something to be aware of. Regardless of how you track your calories (in and out), it's all just an estimate.
MomAmy77
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:31 PM
I just bought the polar 4 now if I can figure out how to work it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)