Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

p90x question

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM
  • 6 Replies
I happened on a commercial for p90x. I have had my shoulder reconstructed once and rotater cuff surgery once. Does anyone know of a way to modify the exercise to not strain my shoulder enoughto have to have a 3rd shoulder surgery?
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MrsRinehart2010
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

not sure I would even mess with p90x with thta becauase 95 percent of it has to do with using your arms, wieghts ,pull up bar, stretches ,youga, push ups ect.

chandlerjsmom
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM
The pull ups could be a problem.
itsm3
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:48 PM

you should ask your doctor or a sports doctor about this.  p90x is heavy in the weight training and involves a lot of shoulder presses etc.  you can probably do this but go with lighter weights.  i advise to ask your doc first.

chandlerjsmom
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:24 AM
Quoting itsm3:

you should ask your doctor or a sports doctor about this.  p90x is heavy in the weight training and involves a lot of shoulder presses etc.  you can probably do this but go with lighter weights.  i advise to ask your doc first.

The doctor has okayed most everything. Pull ups are still frowned on and anything where I balanceon one arm for more then a few seconds. Most exercise I have to modify, even some of the moves in my Zumba class, because of range of motion issues. P90x looks fun and effective.
itsm3
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:09 AM

ok, if that's the case, then go for it.  p90x is an INCREDIBLE way to develop lean muscle mass and tone your entire body.

try it first with resistence bands since your arms won't flop around as much with them (as with free weights).  once you develop a bit of muscle and tone your core, you can switch to lighter free weights.  there is always one person using bands instead of weights and you can use bands for everything including mimicing pull-ups without actually pulling up on a bar.  you hook the band on a high hook or door jam (just look to see where the band is placed in the program) and you are on your knees pulling the band down.  i usually use the bar but sometimes use bands to switch things up. it works the same muscle without the pressure on the arms.

Quoting chandlerjsmom:

Quoting itsm3:

The doctor has okayed most everything. Pull ups are still frowned on and anything where I balanceon one arm for more then a few seconds. Most exercise I have to modify, even some of the moves in my Zumba class, because of range of motion issues. P90x looks fun and effective.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Quoting chandlerjsmom:

Quoting itsm3:

If your doctor has okayed it, then you should try it out.  You've already said that you've modified some exercises already in what you are currently doing, so a little modifications would be no problem.

P90X is fun and effective and so many people have lost weight and have toned up on it. If you are really interested, you can get it here.

P90X

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)