Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

FRUSTRATED MOMMY

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:37 PM
  • 15 Replies

Okay... So this dieting game sucks.  I have been trying so hard to lose weight and am failing BIG TIME!  I've tried the myfitnesspal app.  I felt completely in control using this app.  I kept my calories within limits.  I worked out everyday and burned atleast 500 cals a day.  I am still nursing my 15 month old atleast 5 times a day so I know that is burning calories as well.  However, I gained 10lbs!  How does that happen?????? SO I switched to the Atkins diet.  Thing is i felt horrible.  I hate eating all that stuff and it makes me feel plain nasty OH and I gained 5lbs after a week.  SO please somebody give me some advice on what the hell to do because I am at a loss for words.  I have already have my blood work done so I know there is nothing "wrong" with me.  I do have low b12 levels and get shots for that once a month.  Any advice on how people are losing weight it SO welcomed. 

by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaxTheMomm
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Well, it's hard to say without knowing what you were eating and how much of it, but just as a pure guess based on the information you provided, I'd say inefficient workouts, not enough food (or, you weren't really keeping accurate track of them), and/or the wrong kinds of food.

schultzal
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Are you using a scale to measure food portions? We often over or underestimate how much we are eating. A scale makes it super easy to accurately track calories.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this
For some women, breastfeeding will make you hold onto weight. We're all different. That might just be how your body responds.
How many calories a day are you eating? If you're eating too little (and MFP LOVES to set people's calories too low), especially while nursing, you can really set yourself back, actually, and slow your metabolism. If you'd like, we can help you figure out how much you need. We just need your height, weight, age, and how much you work out.
Oh yeah, Atkins is terrible! We need HEALTHY carbs! :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:44 AM

I'm with Suzanne here...hugs mama!

AkashaGermaine
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:49 AM
2 moms liked this
My FNP told me to wait trying to really loose weight until I'm done breastfeeding. I'm one whose body hangs on to everything so that "I have enough to feed baby." She recommended learning proper portion size and just soing moderate exercise until then. Good luck momma!
mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:10 AM

I would be interested in knowing what MFP had you set at for calories. How many were you eating? Were you eating back exercise calories? What are you eating? Will you post a day's menu for me to look at? Sometimes another set of eyes helps and I might be able to give you options. 

I can do your BMR for you. I need your age, height, weight, the number of days per week you workout, and how many times per day you BF. ( this greatly impacts the numbers.) 

How much water do you drink? 

What kind of workouts are you doing? How long and how often? 

If you answer those questions, I will try to help you. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

MamaNeeNee
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this
You might not be eating enough while nursing. I did that with my first, hardly ate anything but couldn't lose a pound.. But with my second. I ate enough and lost lots (with workouts of course) :) do lots of fruits and veggies (more veggies than fruits) and lean proteins.. I'm a carb lover so it's hard to stay away but, I just eat the suggested serving ( I measure it out) or half of that. I try really hard to stay away from sweets. But if I feel I just have to have something, I'll eat it, I watch portions (2 oreos instead of a sleeve of oreos lol) We can't be perfect everyday :) I also just don't buy things that I might want to eat.. (I LOVE FOOD ) ..
Idk how much help my rambling could've done but I hope it helps and good luck!!
LawMom8308
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:52 AM

My hubby is doing the Atkins. It took about two weeks before he started to feel "ok". How long did you do that for?

Monsita
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM

hugsI am really sorry about your frustrations........I am not an expert in diets....I only can tell you KEEP UP ON SEARCHING WHAT WILL REALLY HELP YOU.....do not give up!!!

wahmx3
by Shelley on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:00 PM

definitely get your BMR done, answer Claire's questions and she will give you the right numbers. When you were using MFP, did you also track sodium? How many treats and processed food do you eat? food from boxes, restaurants, frozen food? How much water do you drink? Soda? Even diet soda? I am so with you on the frustration but we are here to help. Also, don't think of this as a diet... it really is a lifestyle change....make permanent changes so the weight stays off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN