Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

New to weight loss! Please help.

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:46 AM
  • 7 Replies
I'm 25, will be 26 in May, and I'm completely new to trying to lose weight. When I had my son several years ago I lost all my baby weight as soon as he was born. The past few years I have gained weight here and there but I weighed myself over the weekend and also went to try on swimsuits and I'm the biggest I've ever been with the exception of when I was pregnant. I want to get back to a size 12, I'm currently a 16/17 in juniors. I am clueless on how to shed the weight and keep it off. I have increased my water intake and cut soda completely out. I'm also going to cut out fried food and anything white such as bread, pasta, rice and so forth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
wahmx3
by Shelley on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Congrats on making the decision to change your habits and have a healthier body. Get your BMR done so you know how much you should be eating...believe it or not, you need food and too little isn't good. Switch to whole grains, no need to cut out all bread etc. Drink lots of water, fruits and veggies, lean proteins, whole grains and healthy fats. There is room for everything, I haven't cut out anything completely but know I am making changes for a lifetime. You can do it!

TS9509
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Thank you! I have heard that things like wheat pasta and brown rice are good just in moderation.

Quoting wahmx3:

Congrats on making the decision to change your habits and have a healthier body. Get your BMR done so you know how much you should be eating...believe it or not, you need food and too little isn't good. Switch to whole grains, no need to cut out all bread etc. Drink lots of water, fruits and veggies, lean proteins, whole grains and healthy fats. There is room for everything, I haven't cut out anything completely but know I am making changes for a lifetime. You can do it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe AmyS
by Group Admin on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Welcome!

Sounds to me like you're off to a good start.  Increasing your activity will also help you to not only lose weight but firm up your muscles and help you burn fat faster.  :)

Quoting TS9509:

I'm 25, will be 26 in May, and I'm completely new to trying to lose weight. When I had my son several years ago I lost all my baby weight as soon as he was born. The past few years I have gained weight here and there but I weighed myself over the weekend and also went to try on swimsuits and I'm the biggest I've ever been with the exception of when I was pregnant. I want to get back to a size 12, I'm currently a 16/17 in juniors. I am clueless on how to shed the weight and keep it off. I have increased my water intake and cut soda completely out. I'm also going to cut out fried food and anything white such as bread, pasta, rice and so forth.

YDO_OC
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:37 AM
You should try P90x it work or exercise (cardio)1hr per day .I lost 20 pounds it takes time.its hard but you can't give up.eat small portions 6 times a day and drinks life of water.you can also drink green tea it helps with your metabolism.don't eat after 6:30pm.NO white bread.make sure its 100 percent whole wheat.read the ingredients when u buy bread it can't say bleached or non bleached.oatmeal is good for you to.also be positive even if u don't see pounds u maybe losng inches.its about changing your life style exercising and eatting healthier.hopefully I helped you with your question.:) remember tell your self, I can do it !!over and over when u want to give up.
TS9509
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:42 AM
I haven't exercised in a while so I'm kind of hesitate about P90x. I have a Wii fit and plan to use it until I'm use to it then move to something like P90x or Zumba.

Quoting YDO_OC:

You should try P90x it work or exercise (cardio)1hr per day .I lost 20 pounds it takes time.its hard but you can't give up.eat small portions 6 times a day and drinks life of water.you can also drink green tea it helps with your metabolism.don't eat after 6:30pm.NO white bread.make sure its 100 percent whole wheat.read the ingredients when u buy bread it can't say bleached or non bleached.oatmeal is good for you to.also be positive even if u don't see pounds u maybe losng inches.its about changing your life style exercising and eatting healthier.hopefully I helped you with your question.:) remember tell your self, I can do it !!over and over when u want to give up.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Try vi shakes they are great. And exersise of course.

gdsTX
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM

One suggestion that I know a lot of people tend to think I'm unhealthy for is drinking one cup of coffee in the morning. It will help regulate digestion and if you follow with only water it can help jump start your metabolism for the day. My sister is big into exercise and healthy eating as am I of late. She's been teaching me some tips on healthier eating. Contrary to popular belief, white bread is not bad for you. It's the additives they put in it. Buying from the bakery instead of pre-packaged opens up a lot of options in the bread category. Stay away from corn. Our bodies don't process it well just in general, so foods with lots of corn starch, corn syrup, and corn flour should be cut out. Whole grains are fine and all, but watch out for the corn. It's still in there unless you can find a true 100% whole wheat. Snack food is possible, but stay in the gluten free section. Black bean tortillas are another healthy alternative. Fresh veggies are easy to cook up. Lean meats are little more expensive and, personally, not enough of a difference to justify buying. Cut down to maybe 2-3 red meat meals per week. If you feel the need for meat, eat an organic chicken breast.

Beyond that, you should probably consult a nutritionist. Your diet is entirely dependent on you. If you choose a more active exercise schedule, you can't cut all carbs and you might want to consider a high protein diet. For a more relaxed regimen, no carbs and limited protein paired with natural sugars.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)