Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

what to eat?? i'm confused!

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM
  • 3 Replies
What kind of proccessed foods do you NOT eat? I obviously never buy junk: frozen packaged food,candy (only like once a month), sugary drinks or fast food, i always get fresh veggies and cook everyday from scratch, but.some times i find myself at lost when buying the ingredients idk if they healthy..for example meat.. what do i need to look for when buying any type of meat or cheese from the deli or even bread
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jaxTheMomm
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Well, I'm not afraid of meat.  :)

I eat a ton of chicken, lean pork and some lean beef.  For cheese, I stick with low-fat where I can.  For deli meat, I know I should avoid it, or at least get the low-fat version but I don't, I get sliced turkey breast but I don't really eat too much of that. 

For lunch meat, I think the healthiest option is to use "real" meat - i.e., cook a chicken and slice the meat up. 

Study up on label reading - less ingredients, the better.  Avoid corn or high-fructose corn syrup.  If you have a bread maker you could make your own whole wheat bread.

Here's some storebought bread options I use:  Arnold's whole wheat sandwich thins, pitas, or wraps.  Lavash is also great for wraps and makes a nice little pizza crust.  You could always google ingredient lists for more info on what each ingredient actually is.

Honestly, sometimes the convenience is of more value to me.  And it sounds like you are doing great. 

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:27 PM

For meats, if you're buying deli meats, look for ones with no added nitrates.  Same for salame, bacon, Canadian bacon, anything like that.  For beef, ideally, you'll get grass-fed, because it's high in omega-3 fats.  Even better, get organic grass-fed.  But again, this is ideal, not always reality.

Cheese, I go organic, because toxins are stored in fat.  I'd prefer to limit those toxins!  I buy full-fat cheese, ideally from a local dairy when I can.  I don't use a ton of it, but the flavor is more intense when you get the good stuff, so you need less anyway.  Plus, the sodium in cheese is always high.

Bread- watch out for sodium.  Avoid anything with the word "enriched" or just saying "wheat flour".  Good- whole wheat.  Better- sprouted wheat.  Best- sprouted wheat from the freezer section.  It is stored there because it spoils really fast.  But it preserves the enzymes that way.  Sprouted wheat is also higher in protein and easier to digest.  I get Ezekiel bread, which is about 80 calories a slice.  They even have a low sodium version, which is good!  Tortillas are bad for sodium as well, especially flour ones.  Corn aren't as bad.

Any other foods that you were wondering about?

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

eema.gray
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Meats - I buy turkey dogs sometimes but mostly avoid deli meats entirely.  I eat dear, elk, bison, beef, turkey, duck, goose, and chicken.  Oh, and goat and lamb/mutton.  Also eggs.  And organ meats.  I LOVE organ meats.  :-)  Whenever possible, I buy from local farmers but that's under ideal conditions and circumstances do not always allow for it.  Organs, I place a premium on grass fed/organic.  A few times, I've paid $50 just in shipping costs to get high quality organ meats.

Cheese - must be raw milk, from organic/grass fed cows, and the milk used must be whole milk, not skimmed.  Most of the cheese that meet all of the above criteria are imports and expensive so I naturally limit to a few ounces a week.

I'm intolerant to gluten.  Since there is not a gluten free bread in this world that meets my standards (I come from a family of bread bakers), I don't eat GF bread and occassionally suck up the consequences if a family member is baking something really, really good.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN