Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Healthy food is expensive?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:42 PM
  • 237 Replies
What healthy food is expensive? Is it the lean meats? Veggies aren't really expensive right?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aurorasmom
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM

i have no idea.  we do 95% of our grocery shopping at sprouts, which is a farmers market type grocery store, and i spend less than $40/week for breakfast, dinner and snack foods.

schultzal
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:02 PM
2 moms liked this
All food is expensive where I live, especially quality meat & produce. That doesn't mean I will buy junk though. I look at it as an investment in our long term health. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Mainly meat, a lot of my snacks are extra because they are just for me because hubby won't eat them lol. Farmers market (when it starts up again) will be a lot more expensive.
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Well, my portions are smaller, and I don't buy treats (...as much) anymore, so that made a big dent.  We buy mostly organic, and it's still not awful.  I cook everything from scratch, which I think saves us a lot. 

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Hawtbod02
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Thank you for responding. I have changed my eating habits tremendously and I don't really see it being a problem in price as many people say. It makes me think "Well.. am I really buying healthy food"? :[ 

noahscott
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

lean meats are more expensive but i think a lot of the issue is in a lot of families the whole family doesn't want to diet so all the "healthy" food is extra money. also if they want to get the snack stuff like the fiber one's or special k things they are really expensive.

cntrdmom
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:36 PM
One problem for me is that while I'm eating a vegan whole foods diet, everyone else still wants meat and snacks etc. so it's a little more. And due to current circumstances we are paying fr more convenience than usual.
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:57 AM
This is why it is more expensive for me. My husband eats wheat process bread but I go for the healthier multigrain whole wheat breads. I eat veggies, he doesn't (although my daughter does). I eat hummuce with carrots, string cheese, Greek yogurt, flax seed meal, fish, etc....all of which he doesn't. So it is more expensive in our case, but if your whole family is eating healthy than it can be the same or cheaper. My husband is sooo picky so it's hard to do very healthy meals with him.

Quoting noahscott:

lean meats are more expensive but i think a lot of the issue is in a lot of families the whole family doesn't want to diet so all the "healthy" food is extra money. also if they want to get the snack stuff like the fiber one's or special k things they are really expensive.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I spend a fortune on healthy food here. 

A whole chicken is running about $5 per lb right now, chicken breasts are between $5-$6 per lb. Ground turkey is normally almost $4 per lb. 

Tomatoes are $4 per pound, apples were $7 for 1.5 lbs, salad mix is $3 each, berries were $4 per pkg ( 1/2 pint)...Organics are twice as much around here, so there are times I don't get Organic. The cheapest thing I got at the store on Sunday was an English Cucumber and it was $2. Nice... I'm averaging $200 per week eating healthy. I rarely buy processed items..I keep small bags of chips, fruit snacks, and treats for dd's lunch box, but other than that- not much. Heck, bread that does not have HFCS is $4 per loaf where I live. We've eaten cleanly for several years now and our grocery bill increased when we started this lifestyle.. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:21 AM
I don't find it to be a big a hinderance as some do. I strategize where I buy certain things and in the end still come out to roughly $300/mo for groceries (inc things like toilet paper, paper towel, etc).

I can't wait until spring/summer. I hit the farmers market and get everything so much cheaper and fresher than the store!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN