Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

high protein low carb....

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM
  • 17 Replies
Hi everyone. I've been on a high protein and low carb diet. I eat three small meals a day and three snacks. Every time I eat I make sure I get 20g of protein. I have been keeping my carbs between 20-50 a day. I've lost 16.9 pounds and 3 1/2 inches off my waist. I started feb 1st. Is anyone else on a similar diet? And if so I'm running out of things to make for dinner, I need new ideas:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsm3
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:15 PM

i can't do low carb -- i need it for the energy for my workouts. 

but if it works for you, yay!

savingtheworld
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Yes!! Me too!! An I'm starting to lose:) wow almost 17 pounds go u!! I usually Google something, if I need a change..so many things to choose from! Right now I'm kinda stuck on vegetables, but apparently I'm not getting enough calories..but we like tacos, an Quesadas..an there under 300 cals..I use mushrooms an low-fat cheese on my quesadas..an grilled chicken tacos, with fresh salsa on it! U just have to get creative!!
raindrop824
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM
I have been eating a lot of steak,grilled chicken. salad, nuts, peanut butter and celery, lots of veggies except for peas and corn. Eggs whites, lean hamburger meat, and I stick with hard cheese. Good idea about google. My work out consists of HIIT.
roxysmommy
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I eat a low carb diet, but high in fat and moderate in proteins. I'm not a lot of helps since I mostly just do meat with a side of veggies. 

MamaG
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:12 AM
2 moms liked this

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html   has a lot of recipes, some with pictures, and menus.  

mommyintraining
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Im doing the same diet and its permanent. My body does not do well w/ breads/pastas/carbs of those types. Anyway, i feel 100% better, im not achy and bloated feeling all the time! So, I try and eat alot of asian type foods. My body really likes those foods. Try a few of their dishes on food network...u might have to modify them as they tend to use too much salt and americanize them, but, u'll get the jist. Good luck!

eema.gray
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I find myself cooking French more and more often these days. Like right now, I have a chicken stewing with onions, carrots, celery, a quart of stock, and diced squash. Traditionally, beans would be used but squash is more nutrient dense. Thyme and bay leaf for seasoning. I roasted the chicken first to render the fat and boost the flavor. Simple, easy, and virtually fool proof. :-)
BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:29 PM
I am on a similar one I eat more carbs though (I'm bf) but I can eat the same meal for wks at a time

Sorry I'm no help there. I'm down almost 20lbs since Jan
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Pinterest has a slew of meals & snacks that are low carb/high protein. This pad Thai looks delish:

http://www.thewannabechef.net/2011/07/07/protein-packed-mock-thai/?wpmp_tp=1
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Be careful about going too low on the carbs and too high in protein.  It's REALLY hard on your kidneys, liver and heart, and your muscles require carbs if you're exercising.  Excess protein is stored as fat, and the byproduct of protein metabolism is ammonia, which can get sky high and lead to hepatic encephalopathy if your kidneys and liver can't process it.  It can be downright dangerous.

Is this something you can keep up with for life?  It sounds like you are already getting bored with such a limited diet, and anything you can't stick with for life will only yield temporary results.  I'm not trying to bash you by any means, but I've seen what happens with this kind of thing before in working with patients.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)