Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

cant burn more than 400cals during workout :(

Posted by   + Show Post

hi all,

i've been doing beachbody programs for over a year, hit all of my fitness goals and continue to push/challenge myself fitness-wise. i like to consider myself physically fit because of all the hard work i've done....i've completed insanity, asylum/p90x hybrid and currently mixing up body beast with asylum/GSP rushfit. i eat clean 24/7 with no cheating and i always eat within my daily caloric range.

i have a polar ft60 HRM which i wear during every workout (with chest strap). my resting heart rate when i first started my fitness journey last year was close to 80bpm. i rechecked my resting heart rate last week (twice, just to make sure) and did it when i woke up; both times i did it, it said my resting heart rate is 60bpm.

the problem (?): i cannot burn more than 400 cals during any workout! i feel challenged during workouts (esp during insanity workouts) and last week, i did a 60minute kettlebell/tabata class that was really tough. i did the full 60mins with no extra breaks (only three one-minute breaks were allocated) and at the end of the workout, i looked at my HRM and i only burned 392cals!

just wanted to know if anyone else is in this boat and if this is normal.

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Replies (11-18):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:36 AM

What's your HR getting to during intense parts?  It might be that it's not getting as high as it used to, especially since your RHR is getting so low (not a bad thing, of course, but I know it's frustrating when you're trying to burn those cals!).

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

itsm3
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:18 AM

my max HR is 183 but i'm in zone 3 when i get to 170ish which i aim to stay within for 50% of the workout. however, it's hard to hit that zone and when i do, it quickly lowers back to zone 2. 

not stresing out over it; i know this is because my fitness level has improved dramatically compared to when i first started but i was just wondering if anyone else has experirenced this.

Quoting musicpisces:

What's your HR getting to during intense parts?  It might be that it's not getting as high as it used to, especially since your RHR is getting so low (not a bad thing, of course, but I know it's frustrating when you're trying to burn those cals!).

CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I have to work a lot harder or a lot longer to burn calories now.  It's a part of getting healthy and fit. 

qslaqhay
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM
:-O damn i wish to burn 400 calories a work out!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ChgIsGood2012
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:30 PM

It could be that if you are not overweight, and it doesn't take much energy for your body to move, that's why it doesn't burn as many calories. A heavier person, especially one who is out of shape, will burn more calories than you doing the same exercise b/c it takes more energy for them to do the moves; while for you, you are fit and it doesn't take as much energy to complete each exercise.

iamcafemom83
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Do you think you need to up your caloric intake?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:52 PM

i thought about this and redid my numbers but i'm in the range in which i'm supposed to be and i always eat my calories (or at least close to it)

Quoting iamcafemom83:

Do you think you need to up your caloric intake?

itsm3
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM

this is what i'm thinking too.... when i first started, i would burn up to 800+ cals during one insanity workout and now i can only get close to 400cals per insanity workout. 

thanks for your response; was just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat.

Quoting ChgIsGood2012:

It could be that if you are not overweight, and it doesn't take much energy for your body to move, that's why it doesn't burn as many calories. A heavier person, especially one who is out of shape, will burn more calories than you doing the same exercise b/c it takes more energy for them to do the moves; while for you, you are fit and it doesn't take as much energy to complete each exercise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)