Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Muscle gain but losing weight ??

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM
  • 11 Replies

Does anyone lift weights on a daily basis (cardio included) and have a great diet plan or know of one that really works to gain muscle mass and lose fat! Lifting weights  and losing weight is tricky ! ;)  I've gained good muscle but scale hasn't moved much. 

Thanks! 

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't lift daily.  Check out oxygenmag.com or sparkpeople.com for some good ideas for strength.  I get some of my workouts from Oxygen magazine.

When I started lifting, I didn't see much change on the scale, but I lost major inches and a jeans size.  I'd rather get fit than lose pounds, ya know?  =)  Don't stress over the scale- it's only ONE tool at your disposal. 

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Bump, I would like to know too.  I am trying to gain muscle mass.  I just eat a lot of protein a day and try to use the protein/carbs etc ratio that is in the "New Rules of Lifting for Women" book.  I would like to loose some weight too but the main thing is is want to look good so as long as I am happy with my body I don't care too much what the scale says. I have a bit to go though until I am happy with my body though. 

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Oh yeah and I only lift 2-3 times a week.  That is plenty.  I am also doing insanity not too but once I'm done with insanity I will probably just work on lifting 3 times a week only. 

Quoting musicpisces:

I wouldn't lift daily.  Check out oxygenmag.com or sparkpeople.com for some good ideas for strength.  I get some of my workouts from Oxygen magazine.

When I started lifting, I didn't see much change on the scale, but I lost major inches and a jeans size.  I'd rather get fit than lose pounds, ya know?  =)  Don't stress over the scale- it's only ONE tool at your disposal. 

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (car seat tech) Ask me a question!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Loveconner10
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I do a low carb / high protein diet. I learned that protein shake is best after working out. I do run three days a week so I get cardio in. I just subscribed to oxygen thru my nook! I will read that, thanks for the suggestion!  @ armygirl16 is that a good book? 

Loveconner10
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh yah maybe I should step off the scale . Inches are being lost! ;)  I rather be fit then skinny. 

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I do a protein shake after lifting as well, sometimes after insanity but not always.  The powder I bought is soooo good! The first stuff I bought a year ago didn't taste that good at all.  I put 1 scoop of powder in with 1 cup of milk, 1 banana and a couple tablespoons of peanut butter and mix it in my Ninja.  It is so deliceous! I love my new powder, it's amazing! Yummmm  I even add some to my Kashi Golean hot breakfast for some added protein.  

Quoting Loveconner10:

I do a low carb / high protein diet. I learned that protein shake is best after working out. I do run three days a week so I get cardio in. I just subscribed to oxygen thru my nook! I will read that, thanks for the suggestion!  @ armygirl16 is that a good book? 

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Me too! I was skinny in high school and before I had my daughter.  I would rather have some muscle and look good rather than skinny lol.  If that means I don't get down to my goal weight that is fine with me. 

Quoting Loveconner10:

Oh yah maybe I should step off the scale . Inches are being lost! ;)  I rather be fit then skinny. 

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I use bodybuilding.com for workout plans... I just stick to a calorie range.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hunnybadgerkins
by Kat on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:36 AM
I have found it tricky for my body also. In the last month I have gained a lot more muscle and my body composition is better then ever before.
For me it was all about eating as clean as possible, eating more, taking my supplements and killing it in my workouts (going heavier then I am comfortable). Also I've been sleeping more which is super important.
Also the majority of my cardio is HIIT. I still do long runs because of an upcoming race but I try to keep my cardio shorter because long cardio sessions lead to muscle wasting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

i did p90x and saw INCREDIBLE results.  the scale didn't move that much for me - since i started, i lost maybe only 15-20lbs but lost a ton of inches (went from a size 8/10 pants to a 2) and got amazing muscles/defintion.

right now i'm doing a body beast/GSP rushfit combo program. 

btw, don't lift every day - alternate cardio with weights. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)