Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Protein powder

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:08 PM
  • 4 Replies

Thoughts on protein powder?  How much protein should we be getting a day?

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:55 PM

How much protein you need depends on your exercise regimen and your weight.  Most women need no more than 1.5-1.8 grams per kilo of body weight (check out this link to see a useful chart for this- when they say "extremely active", they mean training for something like a marathon or IronMan).

I have mixed feelings about protein powder.  On the rare occasion I do make a shake, I sometimes put it in.  But I get PLENTY of protein from other sources, so I don't go out of my way to add it in.  Plus, most protein powders are loaded with sugar to make them taste good, along with other chemicals.  I would prefer to get protein in its natural form (same goes for all the vitamins and minerals).  I read a lot about weight lifting and nutrition, and some places suggest it, some don't.  I only use it occasionally, and really only after a really hard training session, where I can only tolerate liquid calories (after a really intense run or lifting session, my stomach can get upset sometimes from solid food, but I HAVE to eat!).

I know that doesn't clear anything up, but I can assure you that I do a lot of research, and it's definitely confusing!  So you are NOT alone.  But really, unless you're getting REALLY intense with your workouts or trying to build muscle, I would just focus on regular foods post-workout.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

itsm3
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:31 AM

this.

i do use protein powder but it's not my main source of protein.  i use them in my overnight oats and in shakes if i'm on the go but i usually get my protein intake from animal meat.

Quoting musicpisces:

How much protein you need depends on your exercise regimen and your weight.  Most women need no more than 1.5-1.8 grams per kilo of body weight (check out this link to see a useful chart for this- when they say "extremely active", they mean training for something like a marathon or IronMan).

I have mixed feelings about protein powder.  On the rare occasion I do make a shake, I sometimes put it in.  But I get PLENTY of protein from other sources, so I don't go out of my way to add it in.  Plus, most protein powders are loaded with sugar to make them taste good, along with other chemicals.  I would prefer to get protein in its natural form (same goes for all the vitamins and minerals).  I read a lot about weight lifting and nutrition, and some places suggest it, some don't.  I only use it occasionally, and really only after a really hard training session, where I can only tolerate liquid calories (after a really intense run or lifting session, my stomach can get upset sometimes from solid food, but I HAVE to eat!).

I know that doesn't clear anything up, but I can assure you that I do a lot of research, and it's definitely confusing!  So you are NOT alone.  But really, unless you're getting REALLY intense with your workouts or trying to build muscle, I would just focus on regular foods post-workout.

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Pretty much what musicpisces said. I drink vi-shakes every day at least once a day. They do have protein in them, but they are not my only source for protein. If you're serious about protein shakes my suggest something that won't bulk you up. You should be building your muscle on your own, it's a great helper, but not to be relied on alone. 

Hunnybadgerkins
by Kat on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:38 AM
I use a variety of proteins before and after a workout. Usually whey and vega sport.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)