Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Learning to Run (any tips, tricks, hints, warnings?!)

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM
  • 52 Replies

So I decided that its time.

My long story short-I've been trying to lose weight since 2010.  Lost 70 between '10-'11 then just a few pounds last year.  My goal was to get under 200 before I started running just to be easier on my body but I have been on a plateau for a year basically and I thought kicking up my workout might just be what I need to get the jiggly bits less jiggly. 

I started a C25K program and have already decided I'm going to do each week twice before trying to advance unless I feel super confident-or am I wrong doing that?

Any advice, tips, tricks, warnings about running I should worry about?

I'll be buying actual running shoes this coming weekend and adding some more supportive sports bras to my arsenal.

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Oh and I signed up for a 5K thats in July so I figured this would also be good to get me prepped for that!

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM
2 moms liked this

Hydrating... running on soft surfaces to avoid injuries... remember running safety when you do go running if you run on streets or trails... stretching!!! 

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Thanks!  I'm starting in the gym on a treadmill right now.  Its too cold where I live (PA) to start outside for me but once warmer weather hits I plan on taking it to the track at our local football field. 

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Hydrating... running on soft surfaces to avoid injuries... remember running safety when you do go running if you run on streets or trails... stretching!!! 

Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:52 AM
4 moms liked this

easy steps to running:

1) lace up shoes

2) go outside (or on treadmill)

3) run

ok, I know it's not always that easy. Repeating weeks for c25K shouldn't be an issue... I've seen people say that they've repeated it so that tey can do each week more comfortably.

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Warning- you might gain weight at first! I did!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
missy--kay
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Congrats on starting... that is hardest part. Warning... running is addictive! ;)

twinsies041
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Really focus on your breathing techniques. In through your nose out through your mouth! Also i just recently started listening to podcasts and I looove it! Makes it go by so much quicker :)

Channell07
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I agree with focusing on breathing because it is really important to your endurance.  It should help since you are following a program but i always tend to push myself too fast, too far, and too soon and ended up with runner's knee...

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Where in PA are you?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BeAmour
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Couch to 5k is a good way to start. If you don't want to do that, start slow and pace yourself. You don't want to bust through the gate with all of your energy or you'll die really quickly.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)