Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Learning to Run (any tips, tricks, hints, warnings?!)

Posted by   + Show Post

So I decided that its time.

My long story short-I've been trying to lose weight since 2010.  Lost 70 between '10-'11 then just a few pounds last year.  My goal was to get under 200 before I started running just to be easier on my body but I have been on a plateau for a year basically and I thought kicking up my workout might just be what I need to get the jiggly bits less jiggly. 

I started a C25K program and have already decided I'm going to do each week twice before trying to advance unless I feel super confident-or am I wrong doing that?

Any advice, tips, tricks, warnings about running I should worry about?

I'll be buying actual running shoes this coming weekend and adding some more supportive sports bras to my arsenal.

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
BeAmour
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh yeah, I have exercise induced asthma and controlling breathing is crucial. I've learned to control it without medication by listening upbeat music that I know all the words to and singing silently. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:53 PM

You can do it!  Check out Moving Comfort for bras.  I especially love the Juno and Fiona.

Definitely get fitted for those shoes!  They make a huge difference!

C25K is a great program.  Good luck with it!

Run facing traffic on streets, and the asphalt is better on your joints than sidewalk cement!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

EmilyJ604
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I have the same question I have a hard time breathing when I run I think I need someone to run beside me telling me to breathe lol

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I've run in all types of weather esp when I lived back in the boonies of NJ. Only didnt run in snow or icy roads. If you want to try outdoors esp a track... Do layers and as you run you can take them off. 

Quoting Vertical15:

Thanks!  I'm starting in the gym on a treadmill right now.  Its too cold where I live (PA) to start outside for me but once warmer weather hits I plan on taking it to the track at our local football field. 

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Hydrating... running on soft surfaces to avoid injuries... remember running safety when you do go running if you run on streets or trails... stretching!!! 

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Definitely layers. I am freezing when I leave the house and naked when I get back.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

I've run in all types of weather esp when I lived back in the boonies of NJ. Only didnt run in snow or icy roads. If you want to try outdoors esp a track... Do layers and as you run you can take them off. 

Quoting Vertical15:

Thanks!  I'm starting in the gym on a treadmill right now.  Its too cold where I live (PA) to start outside for me but once warmer weather hits I plan on taking it to the track at our local football field. 

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Hydrating... running on soft surfaces to avoid injuries... remember running safety when you do go running if you run on streets or trails... stretching!!! 

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Yup... You warm up quick... I did the glove mittens, a skully cap, scarf so I wrapped it around my face so I breathed in warmer air... Oh underamrmour or hot chills for thermo clothing... And a hoodie. Def ended up like I went out playing strip poker instead of running lol.

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Definitely layers. I am freezing when I leave the house and naked when I get back.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Quoting Vertical15:

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Ahaha that's always how I look with 50 layers hanging off me!!

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Yup... You warm up quick... I did the glove mittens, a skully cap, scarf so I wrapped it around my face so I breathed in warmer air... Oh underamrmour or hot chills for thermo clothing... And a hoodie. Def ended up like I went out playing strip poker instead of running lol.

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Quoting Vertical15:

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Sometimes, timing your breathing with your steps can be helpful.  That's what I did when I was learning how to breathe while running, and I still do it when I'm running hard.  For me, two steps in, two steps out.  For some people, in through the nose and out through the mouth works.  Try different things and see what works for you.  Make sure you're breathing deeply, into your belly.  Shallow breathing can make it really hard.

Quoting EmilyJ604:

I have the same question I have a hard time breathing when I run I think I need someone to run beside me telling me to breathe lol

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

EmilyJ604
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Thank you good to know I will try that :)

Quoting Vertical15:

So I decided that its time.

My long story short-I've been trying to lose weight since 2010.  Lost 70 between '10-'11 then just a few pounds last year.  My goal was to get under 200 before I started running just to be easier on my body but I have been on a plateau for a year basically and I thought kicking up my workout might just be what I need to get the jiggly bits less jiggly. 

I started a C25K program and have already decided I'm going to do each week twice before trying to advance unless I feel super confident-or am I wrong doing that?

Any advice, tips, tricks, warnings about running I should worry about?

I'll be buying actual running shoes this coming weekend and adding some more supportive sports bras to my arsenal.

iamcafemom83
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM
I started by walking. I'd walk a few blocks, then a mile....it grew into a slow run....and now I'm at a 10:30 minute pace.
Def find clothes that won't shift...that is my peeve right now, anyways. It is annoying am detrimental to your run when you're having to pull up pants or pull your shirt down lol:)

Just remember that you don't have to run every day of the week....start out once every three or four days and build on it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)