Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Learning to Run (any tips, tricks, hints, warnings?!)

Posted by   + Show Post

So I decided that its time.

My long story short-I've been trying to lose weight since 2010.  Lost 70 between '10-'11 then just a few pounds last year.  My goal was to get under 200 before I started running just to be easier on my body but I have been on a plateau for a year basically and I thought kicking up my workout might just be what I need to get the jiggly bits less jiggly. 

I started a C25K program and have already decided I'm going to do each week twice before trying to advance unless I feel super confident-or am I wrong doing that?

Any advice, tips, tricks, warnings about running I should worry about?

I'll be buying actual running shoes this coming weekend and adding some more supportive sports bras to my arsenal.

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Replies (21-30):
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Oh figures!  That will probably be me, too.  I tend to hold on to anything that comes my way!  How long did it take for you to get past that bump?

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Warning- you might gain weight at first! I did!

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I can see how it would be.  I would catch myself watching the runners while I was on the elliptical just wanting to burst into a run with them.  Or walking to my car at work I find myself wanting to just pick up speed.  I feel like its there I just need to do it and make sure I don't hurt myself!

Quoting missy--kay:

Congrats on starting... that is hardest part. Warning... running is addictive! ;)

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I have to ask my husband how to get them onto my phone.  He got me a set of ear plugs yesterday-I'm not god when it comes to technology!  Do you have any reccommendations for podcasts?  Is just listening to music a good way, too?

I was trying o breath normally the first day and then yesterday I realized that in through your nose and out your mouth was easier and kept my heart rate more steady.

Quoting twinsies041:

Really focus on your breathing techniques. In through your nose out through your mouth! Also i just recently started listening to podcasts and I looove it! Makes it go by so much quicker :)

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM

That's one of my biggest fears!  I don't want to get hurt.  I have trouble with my back so I'm taking it slow to not aggrivate it.  The only thing so far is some muscle soreness in my hips and thighs which from what I've read is normal?

Quoting Channell07:

I agree with focusing on breathing because it is really important to your endurance.  It should help since you are following a program but i always tend to push myself too fast, too far, and too soon and ended up with runner's knee...

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Harrisburg/Hershey - Are you in Pa, too?

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Where in PA are you?

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Thanks!  I was reading through the future weeks and it makes me nervous but I'm going to try!  I'm not running full out at any sense of the word, thats for sure!

Quoting BeAmour:

Couch to 5k is a good way to start. If you don't want to do that, start slow and pace yourself. You don't want to bust through the gate with all of your energy or you'll die really quickly.

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I've already saved the website-thanks!  I talked to my husband about getting a new pair of shoes.  The ones I have are only a few months old but are cross trainers and I'd like to get something specifically for running but I wanted to give it a week or two to make sure I can in fact do this now.

I didn't know about asphalt being better-thanks, again!

Quoting musicpisces:

You can do it!  Check out Moving Comfort for bras.  I especially love the Juno and Fiona.

Definitely get fitted for those shoes!  They make a huge difference!

C25K is a great program.  Good luck with it!

Run facing traffic on streets, and the asphalt is better on your joints than sidewalk cement!

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I felt good my first day but my second day was harder even though I did the same exact thing!

Quoting EmilyJ604:

I have the same question I have a hard time breathing when I run I think I need someone to run beside me telling me to breathe lol

MamaNeeNee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Get the right shoes! It really does make all the difference!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hunnybadgerkins
by Kat on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Wilkes barre :)

Quoting Vertical15:

Harrisburg/Hershey - Are you in Pa, too?

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Where in PA are you?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)