Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Learning to Run (any tips, tricks, hints, warnings?!)

Posted by   + Show Post

So I decided that its time.

My long story short-I've been trying to lose weight since 2010.  Lost 70 between '10-'11 then just a few pounds last year.  My goal was to get under 200 before I started running just to be easier on my body but I have been on a plateau for a year basically and I thought kicking up my workout might just be what I need to get the jiggly bits less jiggly. 

I started a C25K program and have already decided I'm going to do each week twice before trying to advance unless I feel super confident-or am I wrong doing that?

Any advice, tips, tricks, warnings about running I should worry about?

I'll be buying actual running shoes this coming weekend and adding some more supportive sports bras to my arsenal.

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Replies (31-40):
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I'm not hardy enough for that, yet!  Maybe eventually!

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

I've run in all types of weather esp when I lived back in the boonies of NJ. Only didnt run in snow or icy roads. If you want to try outdoors esp a track... Do layers and as you run you can take them off. 

Quoting Vertical15:

Thanks!  I'm starting in the gym on a treadmill right now.  Its too cold where I live (PA) to start outside for me but once warmer weather hits I plan on taking it to the track at our local football field. 

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Hydrating... running on soft surfaces to avoid injuries... remember running safety when you do go running if you run on streets or trails... stretching!!! 

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I know I can walk miles.  I used to walk a ton and then switched to the elliptical machine at the gym just for something different and I can do that for 45-60 minutes on level 12 and just start to break a sweat moving at 4.5 but now I need something else.  I can feel it in my bones.

I want to try every other day this week if I feel up to it.  I did yesterday and still plan on working out tonight but not running.  Thanks for your advice!  I'll make sure my clothing are well fitted for the job at hand!

Quoting iamcafemom83:

I started by walking. I'd walk a few blocks, then a mile....it grew into a slow run....and now I'm at a 10:30 minute pace.
Def find clothes that won't shift...that is my peeve right now, anyways. It is annoying am detrimental to your run when you're having to pull up pants or pull your shirt down lol:)

Just remember that you don't have to run every day of the week....start out once every three or four days and build on it.

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I've been there before.  A while back for a traffic count when I worked for PennDot

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Wilkes barre :)

Quoting Vertical15:

Harrisburg/Hershey - Are you in Pa, too?

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Where in PA are you?

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah its a couple hours but not too bad.

Quoting Vertical15:

I've been there before.  A while back for a traffic count when I worked for PennDot

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Wilkes barre :)

Quoting Vertical15:

Harrisburg/Hershey - Are you in Pa, too?

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Where in PA are you?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:56 PM
GET FITTED FOR SHOES!!! Go to a local running store and have them measure you gait. The wrong shoe can cause injuries and pain.
Also don't breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. That is outdated advice. The best way to breathe is the way that gets the most oxygen to your body. Couch to 5 k is a good method to begin.
Don't try to do too much at once, you mAy feel great for a couple weeks but the strain will catch up to you if you keep increasing mileage every week with no cutback weeks or even a plateau in mileage.
Also check out the runnersworld.com beginners forums. They are very helpful there.
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:19 PM

How do they measure your gait?

Whats the proper way to breath? 

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Quoting armygirl16:

GET FITTED FOR SHOES!!! Go to a local running store and have them measure you gait. The wrong shoe can cause injuries and pain.
Also don't breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. That is outdated advice. The best way to breathe is the way that gets the most oxygen to your body. Couch to 5 k is a good method to begin.
Don't try to do too much at once, you mAy feel great for a couple weeks but the strain will catch up to you if you keep increasing mileage every week with no cutback weeks or even a plateau in mileage.
Also check out the runnersworld.com beginners forums. They are very helpful there.

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this
They watch you walk and run to measure your gait.
The proper breathing technique will be however works for you. Breathing in through your nose doesn't give you much oxygen and you'll feel lightheaded fast. Not if you are walking or even jogging very slowly maybe. Just work on even timing. As another poster said sometimes I'll time it with my steps (out with each 2 steps, in with the next two), just to make the breathing not so erratic. But honestly by the end of a race I didn't care about my breathing so much, as long as I was getting enough oxygen in lol. I did pretty well too. The last race I ran (5k) I got first in my age group :)

Quoting Vertical15:

Quoting armygirl16:

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Ah, gotcha!  Thanks for all your input!

Quoting armygirl16:

They watch you walk and run to measure your gait.
The proper breathing technique will be however works for you. Breathing in through your nose doesn't give you much oxygen and you'll feel lightheaded fast. Not if you are walking or even jogging very slowly maybe. Just work on even timing. As another poster said sometimes I'll time it with my steps (out with each 2 steps, in with the next two), just to make the breathing not so erratic. But honestly by the end of a race I didn't care about my breathing so much, as long as I was getting enough oxygen in lol. I did pretty well too. The last race I ran (5k) I got first in my age group :)

Quoting Vertical15:

Quoting armygirl16:

soliderwife
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:50 AM
I lost 45 pounds running i still run 5 days a week.. Drink plenty of water. when your hurting stip walk a bit.. My DH being Army helped me out .Then at gym where i also workout i got a trainer. had to give yp allmy fried foods hard for southern gal..
EmilyJ604
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Well if you figure out an easy way to train yourself please let me know I have tried several times I think I'm just not made for running lol

Quoting Vertical15:

I felt good my first day but my second day was harder even though I did the same exact thing!

Quoting EmilyJ604:

I have the same question I have a hard time breathing when I run I think I need someone to run beside me telling me to breathe lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN